Afan, worth going? Or hea tod North Wales

airbusboy
airbusboy Posts: 231
edited April 2011 in Routes
Morning,

I read a thread on here a few weeks ago saying that most of afan had ALOT of closed off sections. Just wondering if anyone could enlighten me on whats open or closed and if it's worth heading that way next week?

or the other option is head up towards llandegla and coed brenin (sp?) ?

Kind Rgds
'Ride hard for those who can't.....'

Comments

• Penhydd - totally closed.

Y Wall - one part of singletrack is shut on the climb and part of the boring bit on the fireroad at the start is still blocked due to a landslide last year. Rest open.

Whites Level - Goodwood and Darkside (last bit) are shut. Diversion in place to take you up to top of skyline descent.

Skyline - a couple of closures but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head
    Orange P7 2007
    MOTM on first appearance 10/4/11
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Coed y brenin is great It's the daddy. Llandegla is good fun, but probably not worth a lengthy drive JUST to ride it alone.

Wales has far more to offer than those and Afan though, mind. But if you do come to Snowdonia, be sure to check out the Penmachno trail too. In my opinion, it's the best trail in the country.
  • bigpee
    bigpee Posts: 205
    Was there in March - there were sections closed but there was still plenty to ride.
    Current bikes:
    Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
    GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)
  • bartiebat
    bartiebat Posts: 97
    Penmachno was awesome yesterday. Get there quickly before the shrubbery starts growing!! Im a wee bit scratched!!hehe
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    I have just come back from a few days of riding at Afan.

Skyline has some fairly big diversions, the diversions take in some fairly muddy tracks that aren't much fun to ride. At the moment Joyrider, Handy Andy or Grand Canyon can't be ridden. I don't think we rode Granada either, although I could be wrong on that.

Whites was all open, although Goodwood and Darkside are shut midweek (open at weekends)

The Wall was all open.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Brechfa Gorlech if you head further west in south Wales to, My personal favourite Welsh trail, but haven't hit the Penmachno trail yet mind so couldn't comment on that.

but i wouldnt bother with Afan for a long drive at the moment.