My Bianchi Cavaria crosser

AndyF16
AndyF16 Posts: 506
edited April 2011 in Your road bikes
After a wait of over 5 months for the frame to be specially made (despite half a dozen retailers advertising that they can supply, none actually can) I collected her yesterday.

Also the complete bike per Bianchi's 2011 catalogue isn't being built (apologies I can't get photobucket to resize to a better size) so I had a fairly free hand in the kit used

Cavaria.jpg

Not a "wow" build specification, I think the frame manages that on it's own :wink: but:

FSA Gossamer Mega Exo 50/34 Chainset, Shimano 6701 Chain and M520 SPD pedals
Shimano 6700 Front & Rear Derailleurs
Shimano 6700 Shifters
Shimano 6700 12/25 Cassette
Easton EA50 wheels shod with Spesh Borough CX Armadillo tyres (700x32s)
Avid Shorty 4 brakes (well, they sort of stop you, eventually....)
Deda Zero 100 Seatpost, Bars and Stem/Spacers plus Deda SR1 Bottlecage
Fizik Pave CX perch and Microtex bar tape both from Bianchi online
and lastly, in direct contravention of 'the rules' a Bianchi micropump o-ringed to the seattube :oops:

As you can see, I liked it so much, I painted our house the same colour in tribute :mrgreen:
2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange

Comments

• Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    A Bianchi with mostly Far East stuff doesn't do it for me, especially seen as Camapg now do cyclocross stuff.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    I disagree. It's good. I like it.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Looks lovely and I'd love to know what the frame cost etc
  • AndyF16
    gwillis wrote:
    Looks lovely and I'd love to know what the frame cost etc

thanks, glad you like it - full retail for the frame is £1640, not cheap compared to the advertised full bike at £2300 (with Ultegra/105 mix and Fulcrum Racing 7s) but as I said above, you can't actually order one :?

components were sourced from various places at 0-35% discount off 'list' taking the total build to around £2750
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    id love one as I'm a bianchi fan and love my infinito, sadly its out of my budget but I can see the attraction . lovely looking bike and when it comes to the gruppo use what suits you.

again lovely bike
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Lovely bike, probably the best looking cross bike I've seen. Out of interest, why did you fit a 50/34 chainset? Are you planning to race it? I think most crossers would find the 50 a bit on the high side.
  • AndyF16
    Garry H wrote:
    Lovely bike, probably the best looking cross bike I've seen. Out of interest, why did you fit a 50/34 chainset? Are you planning to race it? I think most crossers would find the 50 a bit on the high side.

I understand that 46/36 would be more useful for racing, but although I'll be entering some local events next season (now I qualify in the veterans!) she will be in use for general road/trail riding most of the year so went with 50/34?

Went out today for a 40 miler of mixed road and trail to/around/from Grafham Water and was really pleased with how she rides on all surfaces; very happy bunny indeed :D
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    That is a real piece of eye candy! Frame colour scheme looks great, deeper section rims set it off a treat too!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    AndyF16 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

I understand that 46/36 would be more useful for racing, but although I'll be entering some local events next season (now I qualify in the veterans!) she will be in use for general road/trail riding most of the year so went with 50/34?

You had the same idea as I had about this time last year then. After a few races, I'm swapping the 50 for a 46. Bet you'll be doing the same thing :wink:
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    yours is nicer than mine, even this off the shelf number took months to arrive

nlzzq1.jpg
  • AndyF16
    Bit more subtle colours Wiffachip, like it. Could you tell me what guards they are please Wiffachip? Are they any good or any other recommendations?
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    they're just the standard 32 mm sks guards. the frame is ready for them and a bottle cage, despite what Bianchi say. the rear guard is a particularly neat fit, up through the guard instead of a with hanger
  • c0ugars
    c0ugars Posts: 202
    This is the first cross bike that i have really liked the look of.
  • 9jan11
    9jan11 Posts: 67
    After a wait of over 5 months for the frame to be specially made

Should have had it made the right size; that's a huge amount of spacers :shock:
  • AndyF16
    Don't talk out yer ar5e man :P all bikes except fully custom have a preset geometry, what would you do, go for a 52cm instead of 58cm to lose the spacers? :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I like the frame, some natural sidewall tyres would set it off nicely though...
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    Nice bike but what were the owners of the house in the background thinking when they painted it? I've never seen a house in celeste before :shock: Is it yours? :wink:
  • AndyF16
    EdZed wrote:
    Nice bike but what were the owners of the house in the background thinking when they painted it? I've never seen a house in celeste before :shock: Is it yours? :wink:

No not my house mate, just one I pass regularly. I believe it's some kind of membrane used by builders, have seen it elsewhere too recently.

Nap D; not sure what kind of tyres you mean? Luckily the very narrow rims help to largely 'hide' the red band around the sidewall, I'm also thinking of de-stickering the EA50s