attacked this morning - near waterloo - any witnesses?

JKam4239
JKam4239 Posts: 5
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
Hello all
. This is an appeal for witnesses as the police are involved.

I was attacked by a commuter this morning at 8.45am on my way to work after the junction of the old vic down cornwall road (under the bridge past the art shop and near the konditor and cook).

I am a keen yet considerate cyclist. This spot has plenty of pedestrians and is busy. I cycle an old but loved bik pretty slowly and leisurely on my way to work. I was cycling down cornwall road, rang my bell as I approached pedestrians (in the middle of the road), one didnt turn around so I breaked. This guy - 6ft4 smartly dressed in a black wool coat lifted his arm to punch me then groaned (maybe because he realised he was surrounded by about 20 other people) realised he couldnt punch me so decided to start kicking and trying to break my bike, whilst shouting abuse at me and on it. I started shaking and other people came towards me to stop him/see if I was alrgith. He has broken my spokes, damaged my chain and warped my wheel. He walked off quickly past soho gyms down towards the left onto Roupell shouting abuse back at me whilst I burst in to tears!.

The guy was 6ft4, smartly dressed, a suit black short but straight and unkempt hair black stubble, pale, wide shoulders but thin. He looked like he was early 30s, wanted to be in a band or something but ended up in an office job. Three witnesses came to help me but I only got one persons number. I think he commuted into waterloo and then was enorute to work locally.

The police have said tehy have grounds to arrest him on two counts. If anyone saw this please can you DM message me straight away to exchange details.

Thanks
Julia

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    jesus that is awful. sorry that happened to you.
  • VespaTrek
    VespaTrek Posts: 72
    Blimey sorry to hear that. Wish I had been there, but it's about 30mins too late for me. Will watch out for anyone with that description if it might help as I go that way often.
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    thats bloody awful.

there is lots of cctv there in Waterloo covering the approaches to these roads. have you reported to kennington police station by lambeth north tube? i work for a sloicitors locally and an aware they know the location of all cctv. if he came out of w,loo east he will be on camera etc so if you are up to it do press them to obtain it. they should be able to review and pick out those at 6ft 4 and then they can keep an eye out at the same time tomorrow say, or monday in case this is his regular journey. hope this helps
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    That's sickening, hope you are okay
  • Oh you poor soul. I do hope you get some retribution through the police. Thinking of you.

siobhan
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    That's awful. Hope you are now feeling a bit better. As has already been suggested, pester the police to view all the CCTV of the area, keep at them as CCTV footage is only held for a short time before it is overwritten or deleted normally 28 days but might be shorter than this if a very busy place like Waterloo. This seems a nasty unprovoked attack by a bully on a female cyclist. I was hoping you were going to say you kneed him in the nuts or hit with your D-lock. Ha! Hope they catch him. As I say keep badgering the plod. Maybe you can go back with somebody in support to check out the CCTV?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Jesus. 6ft 4 bloke picking a fight with a woman!

As Bobinski says, maybe they can trace him if this is his regular commute, just allow 30 mins either side in case he changes his routine for a while.

I would say go back to see if you can spot him, but that would be brave, and wouldn't blame you if you'd rather not.

Hope you catch this pondlife.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    blimey!

thats shocking, hope you recover quick an the police catch the scumbag coward.

strange isnt it, these people dont pick on people of equal sizes

wish i would have been there....i hate bullies/ scumbags with a passion
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    to the OP, sorry you had such a terrible experience. as well as the above, I recommend you repost this thread to the commuting chat forum, as most people tend to spend more time in that particular forum than this one, it may help jog some memories
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    I'd go to the spot you were attacked about 15 minutes earlier than the incident with a video camera and just record everyone walking down the street to see if you can catch him on camera.

If he's on his regular commute he'll most probably have a regular train and so be there at approximately the same time.

If you do see him and he challenges you tell him you are collecting identification evidence for the police. I doubt he'd be stupid enough to try anything whilst you are filming him.

It's not going to be very hard for the police to stand there the next day and pick him up.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    chilling wrote:
    I'd go to the spot you were attacked about 15 minutes earlier than the incident with a video camera and just record everyone walking down the street to see if you can catch him on camera.

If he's on his regular commute he'll most probably have a regular train and so be there at approximately the same time.

If you do see him and he challenges you tell him you are collecting identification evidence for the police. I doubt he'd be stupid enough to try anything whilst you are filming him.

It's not going to be very hard for the police to stand there the next day and pick him up.

Although after you have filmed him and told him you're collecting evidence, unless he's brain dead he probably wouldn't go that way again! I would simply keep my eyes open for him in that area at that time in future and call the police if you see him...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    I would simply keep my eyes open for him in that area at that time in future and call the police if you see him...

If you do spot him, try following at a safe distance, see if you can find out where he works...
  • sirlylos
    sirlylos Posts: 234
    Really sorry to hear this, what a complete c*nt.
    1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
    1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
    1997 - Specialized Hardrock
    2003 - Specialized FSR XC
    2008 - Specialized Epic FSR Comp
    2009 - Giant Defy 3
    2010 - Voodoo Wanga
    2012 - Cannondale Supersix 105
  • JKam4239
    JKam4239 Posts: 5
    Hello everyone,

Firstly thanks so much for the helpful responses.

I went down there with the police on friday and stayed for an hour. Was disappointed that he didnt show - the coward that he obviously is scuttled into work via another route. BUT I am determined to get the bastard. I live locally and am devastated he has put me off my favourite thing. I never jump reds and am always considerate when pedestarians walk out into the middle of the road. My bike was only vandalised last month in soho and now thanks to him it is again a right off,

The police were fantatstic.

Please keep your eyes peeled. I noticed on Friday there is noone like him around on that route in the morning.

Tall, pale, wide shoulders, straight black but longish hair. Well dressed but unkempt. PLease DM me if you see someone of this description. THere were plenty of cctv cameras he would have passed and the police are now taking a look at them.
  • GEPC
    GEPC Posts: 123
    Hope you get the bastrd
  • +1 on every post
    that is disgusting
    I also cycle that route around an hour before you, but most of my colleagues leave waterloo around that time (doesn't fit any of their description) but will tell them to keep a look out and will ask if any of them witnessed it.
    sorry to hear about what happened, i hope you jump back on the bike soon :)
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    My sincere sympathy.

1.. I can not bel;ieve that someone there a shop etc does not have CCTV, have you looked about and asked if you see one can they pass it to the Police.

2.. Sorry to press the subject but as I have said here so often it is boaring, at just £8 less than 2 packs of cigarettes. cyclecams from ebay, who does not have one these days, prime example for having one front and one rear as even if you turn away you are still recording on the rear.

http://sirpatrickmooresales.co.uk/Ourpage.aspx
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    best wishes to you
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident. Picking on a woman shows what a scum bag he is. I cycle into the west end most days and would be happy to take a de-tour and wait with you for a while one morning to try and spot him.

I'm 6ft4 also so it should be an even match.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • Any news on this yet? Has the scumbag been caught?
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Any news?