My Saracen Zen 3 2010

Si1988
Si1988 Posts: 158
edited October 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Here's my new pride and joy, been off the scene for a good 4 years and nice to have a well put together bike beneath me. It's a Saracen Zen 3 2010, hopefully the pics will work, and do it justice, I'm rubbish with a camera, looks lovely in the flesh, to me at the least, and so far, seems to ride better.

sam0154d.jpg

sam0156.jpg

sam0159k.jpg

Frame: Saracen Zen 6061 alloy
Forks: Rockshox Recon 335 U-turn 95-140mm (might investigate heavier spring, as I'm a big lad)
Bars: Syncros FL35 grunge
Stem: Syncros AM grunge
Headset: FSA No.11N
Grips: Saracen Lock-On (to be replaced by superstar excel for extra thickness)

Front Brake Lever assy: Shimano M-575 white/gold
Front Caliper: Shimano M-575 white
Front disc: 180mm Centrelock Shimano
Rear Brake Lever assy: Shimano M-575 white/gold
Rear Caliper: Shimano M-575 white
Rear Disc: 160mm Centrelock Shimano
Hoses: Standard Shimano

Shifters: Shimano SLX
Cables: Shimano
Front Mech: Deore M590
Rear Mech: XT Shadow M772

Seat: Fi:zik Gobi XM white (to be replaced with Madison Flux)
Seat Post: Syncros FR grunge
Seat Post Clamp: Saracen (to be replaced by red KCNC)

Cranks: Truvativ Firex 2.2 AM
Chainring(s): 22/32/bash
Chain: KCM Z9000
Cassette: Shimano HG80
Pedals: Old V8 rip-offs (to become Superstars or wellgos in black or red)
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ GXP

Wheels
Rim: Syncros AM DS28
Spokes: Black SS
Hub: Shimano SLX 20mm front, shimano M495 rear
Tire: Maxxis Highroller 2.35"

Comments

• kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I love the new Saracens, that looks like a cracking bike.

Enjoy.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • coomber
    coomber Posts: 232
    That looks tip top.

Is that standard qr front fork?
  • Si1988
    It's a maxle 20mm on the fork, incredibly stiff front end on her. Not too heavy to boot.
  • coomber
    Took my saracen zen out for a spin today. Lovely ride (mine is 2007 model) although have a feeling mine would be a fair bit heavier then yours with the parts I have.

Have you taken this out and about much? Impressions?
  • Si1988
    Havent taken her for an all-dayer yet, still getting my arse bedded in. Been off bikes for 3+ years so taking some doing! I swapped out the saddle for a charge spoon which is helping and have some padded shorts on their way.

As for the rides I've been on she handles everything I can throw at her, the tyres could roll a little faster on tarmac but that only concerns me as I'm trying to build my fitness up and do a bit of road work on it.

Think I'll get her booked into the shop next week and have the brakes bled to make them a little snappier, other than that all is good. Would definitely recommend, especially for the bigger rider, not a creak from anything, all feels rock solid.
  • I got mine december this year and abs love it!. if u dont mind askin, how much did u pay. Got mine for 765. So so light and the fork is a beaut. For 765 biggest bargain evr!
    gretar steinsson <3
  • BTS6463
    BTS6463 Posts: 30
    I was toying with the idea of buying a Van Nicholas TI frame & ended up buying a complete Saracen KiliFlyer TI!
    Great to see Saracen making a comeback & selling some decent bikes again
    Hats off to Madison the new owners
    Saracen Kili Flyer TI
  • BTS6463
    edited October 2011
    .edited double post
    Saracen Kili Flyer TI
  • Si1988
    zenny3 wrote:
    I got mine december this year and abs love it!. if u dont mind askin, how much did u pay. Got mine for 765. So so light and the fork is a beaut. For 765 biggest bargain evr!

Same price I got mine for. Hell of a bargain indeed. I do like the fork, but finding it a little under-sprung so am looking at upgrading to a firmer spring, was trying to find someone local with both firm and x-firm springs so I can find what suits me. Might just wait til after winter and change it on a guess with the spring overhaul.

Upgraded/changed a few bits and bobs and added a bit of bling, should probably update photos and spec.

And to BTS, the kili flyer looks a hell of a bike. I Really like what Saracen are doing with themselves. Keeping it simple, with good value over flashiness, if they keep on like this they'll get the reputation they had in their glory days. They seem to be getting a decent spread of bikes without flooding the place with the things. Would definitely recommend (and i often do!).
  • BTS6463
    [imgsaracenkili2.jpg

This is my Saracen ride[/img]
    Saracen Kili Flyer TI
  • BTS6463
    edited October 2011
    edited yet another double post, where am I going wrong? :?:
    Saracen Kili Flyer TI
  • coomber
    Another nice saracen!
  • BTS6463
    coomber wrote:
    Another nice saracen!

Cheers! :D

There seems to be a small group of us here, now...
    Saracen Kili Flyer TI
  • Si1988
    Dude, you're gonna have to take that picture down... It's putting mine to shame! Bloody gorgeos bit of kit. How much does one of them set you back might I ask?
  • BTS6463
    The 2011 price was about £2,900 but now the 2012 model is coming on the market, they can be had for £1,900. Mine came from Cycle Gear in Halifax
    Saracen Kili Flyer TI
  • BTS6463
    edit
    Saracen Kili Flyer TI
  • BTS6463
    [imgsaracenheadtube.jpg

Headtube close up[/img]
    Saracen Kili Flyer TI