Route planning and daily mileage.

yossarian82
yossarian82 Posts: 15
edited April 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi guys.
I am new to touring and am currently planning my summer jaunt around France and in doing so started to think about how many miles I could realisticaly cover a day. On my unloaded road bike I can happily cover 100 miles a day in around 7 hours with breaks. My touring bike will obvioulsy be loaded up and also has lower gear ratios (or higher I always get that mixed up I'm not much of a tech person) so what do people think is an acceptable distance to aim for on a daily basis on average, as this clearly is down to ability also.
Thanks
Tom

Comments

• jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    For me touring is about the journey,not the destination

but then I have the luxury of no time restraints :D
    except when I rode across Australia :oops: and I overstayed my visa.....

once you get on the loaded bike you will begin to know what is possible for yourself..
    If you can do 100 miles in 7 hours then you are fit enough....I would aim at 50 to 60 miles on a tour day...it is meant to be enjoyable....

somedays you may find a beautiful place to camp early on in the day and choose to rest there...

somedays you will feel like you can ride forever, I love riding through the night and can cover more ground, riding into Seville at 4am on a bike puling a BOB Ibex trailer caused quite a stir with the folks falling out of night clubs...

tailwinds

george

• mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Plan on about 80kms average for your riding days, unless you are continually on flat roads. Don't forget to allow for a couple of days a week when you won't do much at all. My club usually reckins on an 80km average for a trip with sight-seeing; going in a group reduces the distance but we don't usually haul camping gear, just gear for hotels and gîtes.