Alfine Hub upgrade advice

ladeside09
ladeside09 Posts: 39
edited April 2011 in The workshop
apologies in advance if this is a silly question but can anyone tell me if I am able to upgrade my bike - Genesis Day One Single speed (2009 model) with a Shimano Alfine hub 8 speed to give me more choice of gears but still with the less maintance part etc

if so what components are required eg, shifter, fitting kit etc so I can check for costs invloved etc
I know the Hub is approx £200 so if it is possible may be expensive but anyone any idea

cheers

Comments

• further to my post I have found a website offering a Alfine Bundle for £179 that includes the following
    Alfine 8-speed centrelock disc hub
    Alfine 8-speed shifter
    Alfine fitting kit
    Alfine sprocket
    Centrelock disc rotor

they say thats all the components thats required - but any further advice would be grateful -
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Umm you'll need a wheel to put that hub into at least... which would probably mean a handbuilt on the Alfine hub (probably not that expensive).

I think the shifter kit comes with the cable which you'll need to run back to the hub -- does your frame have guides through which you can run the cable?

You'll need a new chain, and does the SS come with horizontal drop outs for adjust chain tension? (probably)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cifcdano
    cifcdano Posts: 26
    Have you read the article on the Genesis website from a guy who converted his Day One?

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/news/06/0 ... ne-ss-bike
  • thanks guys for your advice
    I called a bike mechanic last night so he's getting back to me today with a quote
    he reckons should be okay to upgrade it etc

cheers again
  • cifcdano
    I am interested to see how it works out if you go ahead.

Must admit I'm keen on a Day One Alfine but lack the funds at the moment, i'd guess you would be looking at around £300 to convert your bike.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    ladeside09 wrote:
    further to my post I have found a website offering a Alfine Bundle for £179 that includes the following
    Alfine 8-speed centrelock disc hub
    Alfine 8-speed shifter
    Alfine fitting kit
    Alfine sprocket
    Centrelock disc rotor

they say thats all the components thats required - but any further advice would be grateful -

Front chain ring or cranks to suit? if you have a singlespeed then the one installed should be fine.

Everything else is included. You'll need to rebuild the wheel, but if I were you I would obtain another rim and build up a new wheel, that way you can go back if you want.

J-Tek bar end shifter is nicer than any of the standard shifters. You can flip through the gears in no time, although on a MTB it would get knocked about.
  • thanks again lads, i'll keep you posted.....getting a price for everything tommorow, poss upgrading the mini v's to mechanical disk brakes -depending on price
    reckon will be £300 -£400 all in including labour - bought my day one for £300 the other week- so hopefully I'm looking at a total price of £600-£700
    i'll let you know
    cheers for the advice
  • cifcdano
    In no way do i want to put you off but for that sort of outlay i would be tempted to sell your Day One and put the money into getting a ready built 2011 Alfine from Ebay

There's one for sale now at £400 (with 3 days left)
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Does your current setup use a 1 1/8 chain or 3/32.
    Alfine can be setup with either BUT it helps to know the difference.

Also the Over Locknut Distance on Alfine is the MTB standard of 135mm. Measure your rear dropouts, outside-to-outside.

Does your 2009 frame have fittings for a rear disk brake?
  • alright folks, went to Alpine cycles yesterday to get more info....they said it was the same frame more or less as the current day one alfine 2011 model so woill be fine to upgrade on, so they suggested just buying an Alfine wheel rrp - £250, went online and found a website Planet X doing them for £169.99...buying the shifter £25 and sprocket 18t £10 seperatley - £25 labour

my bike doesn't have disk fittings so wil need to go with the existing V's but apart from that...I'll have a Day One Alfine without the disc brakes for just under £530 -(bike cost me £300 new couple of weeks back)

anyway thanks again for all your advice lads
    cheers