Rides from North Berwick

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited April 2011 in Tour & expedition
Down there for a few days, where can I go?
Already looked at the map and noticed the road from Gifford over to Longformacus (is Redstone Rigg the right name for that?), wondered if anyone could point out any other roads I should look at?

Comments

• Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Redstone Rigg is a good climb. 18% or thereabouts. Once you're at the top you've got a long descent and a climb and a descent to Longformacus. Good views into the Borders from the top. You can go on to Duns (another climb and descent) and back the road that comes through Cranshaws and up the side of Whteadder Reservoir. Nice run.

Or cut back via a twistier road via Abbey St Bathans and Ecclaw down to Torness. There's a B road that runs parallel to the south of the A1.

Apart from that, the roads near North Berwick *tend* to be relatively flat, while there are lots of quiet country lanes around Gifford/Pencaitland/Haddington.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Thanks Philip, had a good run out on the Redstone route more our less as you suggested - from here (Dirleton near N. Berwick) via Haddington & over the hill to Lonformacus, back via Whiteadder. Great route, wish I was fitter & hasn't decided to come armed just with shorts & light jacket - quite painful trying to keep unfit, cold legs going up the hill.
    Couple of nice runs round about the flattish back roads round here too - altogether really very pleasant cycling country, I'd recommend it to anyone.