Marin Mount Vision 2007

blazingmonga
blazingmonga Posts: 97
edited April 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Hello all! My name is David and I am a long time reader but first time poster. Might as well start here - my first build and my first full suss...

PICT0027-1.jpg
PICT0019.jpg
PICT0024.jpg
PICT0017.jpg

Frame: Marin Mount Vision 2007, 120mm travel w/ RP23 shock
Forks: Rock Shox Pike SL 95-140mm Travel, 20mm Maxle
Bars: Gravity Maximus Bar - 40mm Rise Black 710mm 31.8mm
Stem: Kore B52 65mm, 31.8mm
Headset: FSA Orbit MX
Grips: ODI grip Ruffian Bonus Pack (Colour: white, black clamp ring)
Bar Ends: inc above

Front Brake Lever assy: Clarks SX Skeletal White
Front Caliper: Clarks SX Skeletal White
Front disc: Clarks 185mm
Rear Brake Lever assy: Clarks SX Skeletal White
Rear Caliper: Clarks SX Skeletal White
Rear Disc: Clarks 185mm
Hoses: Clarks SX Skeletal standard PVC black

Shifters: SRAM X7
Cables: Goodridge gear cable kit - carbon
Front Mech: SRAM X5 dual pull, 34.9 band, low clamp/top swing
Rear Mech: SRAM X9 Medium Cage
Chain Device: Blackspire Stinger Chain Tensioner - BB Mount - Black

Seat: Ritchey Marathon Comp V2
Seat Post: NC-17 Empire Pro 30.9 400mm black
Seat Post Clamp: Came with frame...not actually sure...

Cranks: FSA Gap Quad Chainset
Chainring(s): 22/32
Chain: SRAM PC971 9 Speed Mountain Bike Power Chain PC-971 x 1
Cassette: SRAM Cassette Powerglide II PG-980 11-34
Pedals: Wellgo V12 Copy - White
Bottom Bracket: Quad Mega EXO

Front Wheel: Superstar
Rim: Superstar AM-490 White
Spokes: Standard....(I cant remember)
Hub: Superstar Switch EVO 20mm
Tube: Some rubbery Halfords job
Tire: WTB Prowler XT Comp Tyre 2010 - 26 x 2.3 Wire

Back Wheel: Superstar
Rim: Superstar AM-490 White
Spokes: Standard....(I cant remember)
Hub: Superstar Switch EVO 10mm
Tube: Some rubbery Halfords job
Tire: WTB Stout Comp Tyre 2010 - 26 x 2.3 Wire

Weight: Yet to weigh it...not too light but not too bad either.

Other info: Her name is “UMA THE DESTROYER”! Ahem. I'm sure I am not the only person to name their bike. Right?

What else...err...I painted the rotor arms black while waiting for the wheels to arrive, for no good reason. It was quite easy and worked well. Will probably do this in future for a cheap bit o’ bling. I think this is probably the main reason people want floating rotors anyway!

She rides very well, seems to love things being wild. The brakes and tyres were a compromise when costing things so they could do with improving. Not for the hell of it though...they honestly arent very good. The rear tyre in particular doesn’t seem to like the local slop I end up in. The Clarks brakes have been excellent value and their customer service is fantastic, but they are not very powerful and aren’t finished very well. I will see how long they last anyway.

Ok, now I have posted this I can get on with asking lots of tedious questions about mechanical gremlins I have yet to banish! Thanks for looking!

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    thats nice! Front hose is FAR too long though.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thanks! I'm really pleased I managed to put it together without breaking it or myself.

I had thought the front hose is too long too. I didn't want to shorten it if it meant it would run too straight from the fork. I figure a wee bit of slack is probably safer than none at all. It does curve forwards and that annoys me. Maybe I can tidy it up if I redirect it at the calliper by turning the banjo too. I will think about anyway.

II will try and put some better photos up soon as I just realised how pants these ones are. I'll try with my wifes camera instead.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Very nice :P Did the frame come like that?
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Lovely bikes, the quad link is a revelation too, I had the 08 Mount Vision, and I do miss it sometimes.

Nice build too :)
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Nice bike, I love my marin.

But, that saddle looks like it's tilted back far too much to be comfortable, or even safe!
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Thanks for the comments guys. Any input or advice is most welcome!

The frame was second hand and came with the RP23 shock fitted but nothing else.

The saddle does look a bit uncomfortable here...probably because the fork is set to 140mm so its going to be a bit slacker than it should be. It sits more level when I am on the bike too. I will probably fine tune its position when I have clocked a few more miles.

I actually chose this frame after reading so many good words about it on this forum. So far I am very impressed with the way it is put together.
  • Beardface
    I ran my Mount Vision with 140mm revelations, and found it made it even more fun :)

The good thing is, I found the rear travel to feel endless quite often, sometimes feeling like a lot more than 120mm!

Agreed though, the saddle does look a little skywards, but, what works for one is useless for another!
  • mrfmilo
    I meant the raw color :wink:
  • Stav wrote:
    I ran my Mount Vision with 140mm revelations, and found it made it even more fun :)

The good thing is, I found the rear travel to feel endless quite often, sometimes feeling like a lot more than 120mm!

Agreed though, the saddle does look a little skywards, but, what works for one is useless for another!

Did you find the handling greatly affected by having a larger fork on the front? I have never found much information from peoples experience of using a lop-sided amount of travel on full sus bikes. Obviously climbing is hindered a bit with a longer front but then I can wind it down.

Yours looks lovely! Wish I had a white one. I was tempted to respray the frame when I got it but I decided against it.
  • mrfmilo wrote:

It's silver...it doesn't look so 'raw' in real life, the photo is just very washed out.

Silver and shiny, like all the best things in life.
  • Beardface
    Thanks, I've not got it anymore though, thats 3 bikes old now!! lol

I didn't find too much of a difference to be honest, if anything, I preferred it, as it was something I felt I was in need of, as well as the bike needing it too :)

Obviously climbing was affected a little bit, locking the forks out on the climbs soon sorted that out :)
  • Stav wrote:
    Thanks, I've not got it anymore though, thats 3 bikes old now!! lol

I didn't find too much of a difference to be honest, if anything, I preferred it, as it was something I felt I was in need of, as well as the bike needing it too :)

Obviously climbing was affected a little bit, locking the forks out on the climbs soon sorted that out :)

That's very good to know!

I just felt it may have somehow been bad voodoo to mix 120/140 travel...like I would be magically bucked off or something. Glad that wont be the case. Probably.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo wrote:

It's silver...it doesn't look so 'raw' in real life, the photo is just very washed out.

Silver and shiny, like all the best things in life.

Ahh right, thought it was polished or something.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    When you sit on the bike, the rear suspension will sag, making the nose up attitude of the saddle even greater.

I like my saddles to be level, so for my marin I set it nose down slightly, so when I sit on it, it is level, it takes a bit of fiddling to get it right.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Beardface

That's very good to know!

I just felt it may have somehow been bad voodoo to mix 120/140 travel...like I would be magically bucked off or something. Glad that wont be the case. Probably.

I know what you mean, I was hesitant at first, but as soon as I did it, it felt 'right' :)

Went from a 100mm stem down to a 60mm stem at the time of changing the forks, to give it more of a 'point downwards and laugh' stance.. Still didn't bother me on the ups, a bit more of a struggle, but I kind of enjoyed the challenge :twisted:
  • When you sit on the bike, the rear suspension will sag, making the nose up attitude of the saddle even greater.

I like my saddles to be level, so for my marin I set it nose down slightly, so when I sit on it, it is level, it takes a bit of fiddling to get it right.

Aah...for some reason in my mind I thought that the saddle would be pointing down when under sag. Now that I think about it I realise thats not the case! It's one of many little things I have yet to tweak. I will need to double check the sag soon anyway so I will do that alongside adjusting the saddle.
    Stav wrote:
    I know what you mean, I was hesitant at first, but as soon as I did it, it felt 'right' Smile

Went from a 100mm stem down to a 60mm stem at the time of changing the forks, to give it more of a 'point downwards and laugh' stance.. Still didn't bother me on the ups, a bit more of a struggle, but I kind of enjoyed the challenge Twisted Evil

I kind of built mine the same way I think. I wanted it to be overbuilt for the downs and so long as it would climb semi-comfortably then I would be happy. So far I am very pleased with it!