length, something to be proud of?

BarryBonds
BarryBonds Posts: 344
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
Whats the longest youve kept a chain on without changing it (distance not time in the shed of course)

Comments

• DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Oh you guys are just teases...

I'm off to find what I was looking for.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • I always keep a chain on my bike, I find it kind of hard to make it go without one being on it all the time?

It's flexible and well lubed if that helps DD?
  • DIESELDOG
    I always keep a chain on my bike, I find it kind of hard to make it go without one being on it all the time?

Steady on, I have a reputation at stake here. You haven't been around long enough to destroy it :wink:

Love n hugs

DD

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Previous road bike - 10 years circa 10,000-15,000 miles.

Current road bike - 3 years circa 9000 miles and counting.

It may also not be a coincidence that I have never split a chain.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I bought a Raleigh Dyna Tech in roughly 92 and generally used it for commuting and the odd ride out, i gave the bike to a mate 3 years ago to gain space, he used the bike for the same 20 mile round trip commute for a couple of years until the L/H 105 sti failed.

That Shimano chain was never swapped in 18 yrs, i don't know the exact mileage but it must be roughly 35.000 - 40.000 miles.

Cables, tyres, bar tape and brake blocks were replaced but the chain, cassette and chainset just kept going.
  • Dunkindiver
    Dunkindiver Posts: 143
    20 years and still going strong on my Marin Muirwoods which I still use on a daily basis for running round the hood!
    I changed the original brake blocks yesterday, the old ones still had plenty of life in them, but I decided I needed something a little gripper in my dotage
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    8 miles. No wait, 18,000 miles. No, hang on, 6,280 furlongs.

Oh God, I can't remember. I knew I should have made a note of such important things. Must go and update my 'How many times have you filled your water bottle' spreadsheet*.

*The answer is 271 by the way.
  • donkykong
    donkykong Posts: 160
    shortest time was with a shimano chain fitted by one of them cytech cyclops tecs, lasted all of 3 miles as i attempted to mate with the stem at the bottom of a hill, :oops:

longest time 21,000 miles, with a well lubed sram, eventually that broke too, middle of winter miles from anywhere, fortunatly a white van man came along, and gave me a lift home.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I've had one last the length of a chain before (cricket fans take note!)
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    donkykong wrote:
    shortest time was with a shimano chain fitted by one of them cytech cyclops tecs, lasted all of 3 miles as i attempted to mate with the stem at the bottom of a hill, :oops:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :cry:
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    I always keep a chain on my bike, I find it kind of hard to make it go without one being on it all the time?

Steady on, I have a reputation at stake here. You haven't been around long enough to destroy it :wink:

Love n hugs

DD
    Can I have a go then DD ? :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • DIESELDOG
    MattC59 wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Love n hugs

DD

Can I have a go then DD
    ? :lol:

Ofc you can, bring it on, many have tried, few have succeeded. :wink:

Love n hugs

DD