Front derailleur just died

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited April 2011 in The workshop
It's not my night for bike stuff. My front deraileur seems to have died as the bike sat in my room. Heard the clatter of something hit the floor, when I investigated I found a plastic arc tube (only way I can describe). Pretty sure it came from the front derailleur as that seems to be the only thing not working now.

As I left the bike in top gear for the past 24 hours I can only assume the tension in the spring has caused it to bust out of the plastic holder. I've attached a pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

SAM_0010.jpg

Does this mean a new front derailleur.

I'm guessing yes...so what should I go for, replace with the same or go for a better but not too expensive upgrade.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sorry what has fallen off?

pics of the wayward part.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I think it is more of a cover for the spring TBH designed to stop the crud getting into the spring and stopping it working. Shift the mech across the chainrings and I think you'll find it OK, I haven't got the plastic bit on my front mech.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    redvee
    my thinking as well. but could not find an image to check.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • suzyb
    This is the bit that fell off (picture is wierd as I moved the broken bit closer to the other)

SAM_0011.jpg

There is defintatly something broke though as I can't change gear. Should the spring be able to rotate? Could it be that is gone and taken the plastic cover with it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sora?

Is it complete or is it possible there is some remnants trapped in there, best to take the front mech off and check if all the bits are out.

When you change gear one end of teh spring rotates, the other doesnt as its the return spring for when you take cable tension off it, I got my Sora for a tenner (delivered) off the bay so it's not a disaster!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • suzyb
    Removed the derailleur, doesn't seem to be any remnants. But both ends of the spring are loose.

Uploaded another image to show.
    SAM_0013.jpg
  • suzyb
    How do I tell if a derailleur will be compatible. I was thinking of upgrading to a tiagra derailleur (that's what the rear is). Will any 9 speed triple work even though I have an 8 speed.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    you might have issues with the chain compatability, as a 9sp chain is narrower than an 8 speed.
  • The Rookie
    OK the spring end coming off its stop is what trashed the cover!

Ideally stick with an 8speed FD or you'll likley have rubbing issues due to teh narrower cage.

Any Shimano or SRAM 8speed triple will fit.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • suzyb
    Reason I asked about 9 speed was that seems to be the only ones available on CRC and Wiggle. Guess I shall not be getting Haribo or a bigger than necessary box when I buy one :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Meh! There are other places than CRC and Wiggle - just do a google shopping search. Ribble are good, HighonBikes are good. Plenty of other options and probably cheaper too! Some of them might even put the derailleur in a packet that will fit through your letter box!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • suzyb
    ffs this is turning into a bigger problem than I though :(

Assumed it would be a case of jumping online, finding the part and ordering. But no, the part I'm looking has to be scarce. Can only find a Sora or Tiagra from one site each that are selling them for around £30.

sigh
  • The Rookie
    What size frame?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-SORA-8-SP ... 5adfe1452c
    31.8 (looks 8 but you'll have to check the number)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-105-FRONT ... 3cb6fe1a79

Simon
  • suzyb
    1 last question. Think I should get another Sora derailleur or downgrade to a 4300.

I've got half an eye on ugrading sooner rather than later if replacing components will be so hard which is why I'm thinking of going for the cheapy 4300.
  • The Rookie
    A front derailleur is the crudist of crude things, the only difference your likely to feel between the 2 is about 15grams in weight.

Simon