Bike Insurance when abroad ?

Leesykoi
Leesykoi Posts: 338
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi,

I'm lucky enough to be taking my bike away on holiday this year (first time) and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction that would cover my bike in case of any damage whilst away ? My home insurance cover is upto £5k when the bike is in the house but only £500 when away from home. I've just noticed this when i rang up to check cover when abroad and for some reason i cannot increase it so think i need a standalone policy.

Any advice gladly taken.

Thks.

Lee.
I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!

Comments

• ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    apart from the obvious (change your household insurance) try E&L or CTC - both covered my bikes abroad
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    apart from the obvious (change your household insurance) try E&L or CTC - both covered my bikes abroad

Don't what ever you do use E & L, cheap but very nasty if you have a claim, I know I have been there. :evil:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If you are considering changing policies, look at M&S - with all the proper options.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • +1 for M&S.

I changed to them a couple of years ago when I got my bike and wanted it covered on the insurance for all occasions, home/abroad/accident. I have the Premium cover so may be a little more expensive, but covers the lot in one policy, negating the need for separate bike insurance.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    +1 for M&S.

I changed to them a couple of years ago when I got my bike and wanted it covered on the insurance for all occasions, home/abroad/accident. I have the Premium cover so may be a little more expensive, but covers the lot in one policy, negating the need for separate bike insurance.

I assume that you also have the "Away from home" option :?: Very necessary.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    Changing to M&S for home insurance (Premium policy with away from home option) and it comes up 25% cheaper than my current policy - definitely recommended !!!!
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!