Hi - Newbie With Most Of A Bike

Lee540
Lee540 Posts: 22
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi All

I'm Lee, 23 from Cornwall, UK.

Looking for some advice and information, how to's and technical stuff.

A few years ago my friend gave me a box full of bits when he got a new bike, so that I could rebuild the bits and have a better bike for myself. Typically other things kept coming up and I never got round to it, till now.

I have:

Marin Quake 7.0 13.5" Aluminium frame
Answer Manitou SX 4.0" Forks
Headset, Bars, Wheels, Seat Post, Disc Brakes inc. Levers, Rear Cassette

Stuff I need..

Gear Shift
Front derailleur
Rear derailleur
Crankset
Bottom bracket - not sure what make or size?
Chain
Pedals
Grips
Headset bearings
Inner tubes x 2
Tyres x 2
Cables
Various nuts, bolts, brackets etc

Where would be the best place to find these parts? Either new or used.. so I can get the bike together.. if its worth it?

What do people think?

Thanks

Lee

Comments

• Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    If you scroll down to the bottom of the drop down bar (bottom right of the page) there is a classified section where you can pick up some real bargins and there is new stuff on there everyday.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ebay, CRC classifieds here.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lee540
    Thanks..

How would I determine the correct replacement bottom bracket? headset bearings? etc.. how are they measured?

I know the BB is a sealed cartridge.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    BB will be dependent on what chainset you get.
  • Lee540
    Does the bottom bracket come with the chainset?

The original one is still in the frame, need what looks like a 22 tooth socket thing to remove it, I know its knackered, that was the one thing my friend told me, it was clicking constantly under load..
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    An external BB will come with the hollowtech 2 type cranksets but you'll need to get the frame faced at an lbs if you want it to last (might be an idea to get them to remove the old & fit the new anyway if you don't have the tools).

13.5 inces is a very small frame though. Are you sure it'll fit you ok?
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Lee540
    After talking to people last night and information online I now know that a 13.5" frame is way too small for me! :oops: :lol:

Going to buy a whole bike instead now, budget is £350 for my introduction into this.. so that'll be what I'm looking at now.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    shifters, cables and gears.
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Transmission++Gears/Derailleurs+-+Rear+MTB/Shimano+SLX+Shadow+9+Speed+Gear+Kit_1147.htm
    Chainset & BB
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Transmission++Gears/Derailleurs+-+Rear+MTB/Shimano+SLX+Shadow+9+Speed+Gear+Kit_1147.htm

Grips, pedal and Headset from Superstar Components

All the above would leave you with around £130 minimum for the rest which you should manage with money spare.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Lee540 wrote:
    After talking to people last night and information online I now know that a 13.5" frame is way too small for me! :oops: :lol:

Going to buy a whole bike instead now, budget is £350 for my introduction into this.. so that'll be what I'm looking at now.
    Thought it might have been.

At that sort of price the Rockrider 5.3 shouldn't disappoint & it gives you a bit left over for a decent perch ;) .

If you can slash a little bit extra, the Carrera Kraken reduced to £380 at the moment or the Rockrider 8.0 for £400 are both capable bikes with hydro brakes.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy