Prolapsed disc operation

ifindoubtflatout
ifindoubtflatout Posts: 132
edited April 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Hello.
It looks like iam having to have my back operated on soon and I was wondering if anybody else has had this operation?

I was wondering what your recovery time was and how you cope with cycling after.

Cheers.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Not had that operation but my back is made of glass and you have every sympathy. Good luck with the op, hope it goes well.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've had 2 disc's removed and the three surrounding vertebrae fused together(in my neck at C4,C5,C6). That was 15 or so years ago. Still riding with no real problems except that I can't twist my head around quite as far as I used to. I use a small rear view mirror and problem solved. A friend of mine had basically the same operation not to long ago and his time till back on the bike was a couple of months. Easy at first, of course. That's my story. Hopefully yours will turn out as well as mine. i don't know much about this problem if it's in your lower back. I do know that for you to even consider having this operation that you must be in pain. I know I was. Good luck.
  • hi
    iv had lower discs removed when i was 21 3 months in hospital with 7 months of rehab.
    bit sketchy for a few years after but all fine now.
    im 35 now playing football rugby and biking about 4 times a week.
    my mum had hers done too shes fine now.
    it does work just sucks at the time good luck
  • Thanks for all the responce guys.
    I had the operation to remove a prolasped disc from L5/S1 in my lower back on 9th april. Ive been home now for 2 days and I was up and walking within 8 hours of the operation. To my amazement there is no pain at all just a bit tender around the wound and stiches. Iam already able to walk unaided about half a mile with no probs. I do have parts of my left leg which are still numb but thats just due to the operation and should return back to normal with time.
    The Physio recons I will be off 2 wheels for the majority of the summer but she says that everybodys differnt and shouldnt really rush, just think about getting everthing working as it should do.

Once again thanks for your replies.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    good stuff gws