SRAM fitting to Shimano BB

deanpen
deanpen Posts: 19
edited April 2011 in Workshop
I have a Giant TCR Advanced which is fitted with a Shimano press fit BB. I am considering a change to RAM Force for my groupset, but wondered if anyone knows if the SRAM crankset will fit the Shimano BB? I know that a lot of the SRAM components are interchangeable with Shimano, but am not sure about the BB. The Force groupset comes with a GXP bottom bracket but presumably this will not fit the press fit BB on my bike? Any info gratefully received.

Comments

• Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    Well GXP and Hollowtech II are definatly not the same size. But if it's a BB30 pressfit from shimano it might fit, there isn't really any gurantee that it will fit.

Why the change from Shimano to SRAM if you don't mind me enquiring?
  • deanpen
    deanpen Posts: 19
    Thanks for the info. The bike came with a mix of 105 and other lower spec components, and was bought with upgrading in mind. I was intending to put Ultegra on but have been looking at the SRAM Force due to weight and the shifting performance. Reviews seem to speak highly about it, so was condiering it as an option, but wasn't sure if it would fit on the bike due to the press fit BB that the bike has fitted. It's not BB30, just a standard BB. Might have to resort to my original plan!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Hmmm, I'm thinking of putting a Sram Apex crankset into a regular Shimano 105 external hollowtech BB - will this defo not work?

I can't believe there are 2 different standards: GXP vs Shimano. But then again I kind of can believe it.

But then again, when Hope or KIng sell their aftermarket BBs I don't see 2 different choices, one for Sram and one for Shimano cranksets.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If it's Giant's press fit, then the BB standard is BB86 and requires a 24mm spindle. BB30 is entirely different and won't fit. SRAM / GXP cranks use a 24mm spindle on drive-side but are stepped on NDS - you can fit a 'top hat' bush to fit, but it can be hit and miss. Your LBS should be familiar - Hope sell a suitable spacer for their BBs which should work.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Hmmm, I'm thinking of putting a Sram Apex crankset into a regular Shimano 105 external hollowtech BB - will this defo not work?

I can't believe there are 2 different standards: GXP vs Shimano. But then again I kind of can believe it.

But then again, when Hope or KIng sell their aftermarket BBs I don't see 2 different choices, one for Sram and one for Shimano cranksets.

Aren't there even more than just GXP and Shimano? Mega Exo? Whatever Campag uses? And so on....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    many after market BB will work with either with the addition of a reducer or two on the non drive side. the reducers/top hats are bearing specific as dont work to well with different BBs.

But in this case the OP needs a new BB for a GXP crank.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1

GXP is not compatible with HT2 (the driveside is the same but the NDS has a smaller diameter)

Hope do a spacer to transform their HT2 BB to GXP, as do Chris King

You need pressfit BB86 cups to fit a GXP crank. Nothing else will bodge easily.

Enduro do them - I run a ceramic version in my TCR. Very lovely.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id258.html
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer