Newbie with crank slipping issue?

shdaxner
shdaxner Posts: 249
edited April 2011 in The workshop
hi all. Relatively new to the forums here only my second post but have been reading for about 4 month and I have finally come up with my own little problem for you hardened cyclists too think about.

I have a carrera mountain bike which I have had since Christmas and have been using it for the commute to work since. So yesterday I decided to take the crank, chain and cassette off and give it a good clean, all went well taking off and put it back on fine this morning, I then lubed everything up and set off to work, as I was cycling along the road near enough every rotation of the pedals it felt as though the chain was slipping all the way to work it did this I did pull over and have a look but I didn't notice anything wrong,

One thing I will mention is when I was removing the crank I did try to untighten it the wrong way and it clicked and moved a little bit, so if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful if you passed your bike knowledge onto me,

Thanks again, stefan

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what did you actually try and undo?

what moves that should not?

have a read of Parktools to help you identify what cranks you have and what you may have done.

could be that you have over done the lube and caused issues with the freebody.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • shdaxner
    Thinking about it now it can't be a crank issue as it's fairly straight forward taking off and putting ok. It was the rear cassette I tried unscrewing the wrong way but I don't think that's the problem either. I'm now thinking the chain may be slipping, but I have only had the bike 4 month doing approx 10 miles a day could it really have worn that much already? I nipped out and had a quick look on my break and the rear cassette does look worn. Would buying a new chain cure this problem for a little while?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Neither should be worn that fast, my commuter has done over 1000miles on what were 'pre-owned' cassette and chain when I started.

It does sound like a crank isn't on tight (if its sqare taper) and flopping as you ride.

What Carrera model?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shdaxner
    It's a carrera vengeance ltd, how do I ensure the crank is tightened as I kno it needs taking off with the crank removal tool which I have, but how do I ensure it is back on properly? I'll have alook at the crank I'n the morning
  • The Rookie
    Once the crank is off, put it on and the n do up the retaining bolt 'FT', it takes a while to do up (at reasonable high loads) as it pulls te crank onto the taper I think the vengeance uses.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shdaxner
    Ah right ok maybe I didn't tighten it enough I will give that a go first thing I hope this works because I'm enjoying cyclIng in at the moment.

cheers for that Simon I'll post back with the results.

Stefan
  • shdaxner
    Right so I went out this morning and checked the crank and it was on fine so i knew it wasn't that. I turned it upside down and applied a little break to simulate load and lessors in the highest gear and I noticed that when a certain link got to the cassette it wasn't bending so I had a look and I appears just 1 and a half links will not bend what so ever the chain isn't rusty I have kept it lubed since buying and it's just the 1 spot where this has happened , so looks like a new chain is needed already,

cheers again guys
  • The Rookie
    Yes a stiff link can be a pain, some lube and 'working it' sometimes fixes them, I believe the Vengeance is 24 speed so a new chain should only cost you about a tenner or less.

Simon
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    you can loose up a stiff link by easing the chain links apart with a flat bladed screw driver, do it gently though

http://bicycletutor.com/stiff-chain-link/
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • shdaxner
    Ok, so it's known as a 'stiff link' is it, I will be looking at a new chain anyway one which is a little easier to split and re attach but I will hopefully be keeping this as a spare so I will try fixing it, before I do this I think I'm gunna try get it spangly again, anyone have any top tips regarding what to soak my chain in to remove all oil and grime? Or would just a chain cleaning tool get it back to new again?

Stefan
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    kerosene or deisel is the cheapest degreaser, although doesnt smell as nice as the stuff halfords sell (citruss degreaser) but works the same

just rememeber to fully lube up the chain when you have finsihed
    Keeping it classy since '83