Alpine cycling round val thorens.

brianonyx
brianonyx Posts: 170
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
First of all hi.

I have access to a ski apartment in Val Thorens over the summer and was going to drive down with my bike to do some alpine climbs.

I have driven up to val thorens a few times and that road looks a very difficult climb particularly being so high.

I will have just done a 4 day charity ride from bristol to bordeaux so should be reasonably fit.

Does anyone have any tips for decent routes rides in the three valleys area??

Go easy it is my first post :)

Brian

Comments

• PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    On August 7th there is a sportive in the area. Have a look at http://www.labourgui.com/. Doesn't look easy 8)
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • brianonyx
    I am thinking of starting from the top cycling a bit of the way down and then turning round to cycle up. Each day trying a little further. Couldnt do that sportive as it looks incredibly tough.
  • DavidCr
    DavidCr Posts: 44
    Val Thorens is obviously very high with just the 1 road in and out which limits your options when setting off from the resort. If you are prepared to drive to the valley floor to begin you will have more options and a better chance of riding a loop. It will also give easier access to some of the better known climbs including the Madeleine, Courchevel and Cormet de Roselend.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I know that a number of lifts run over the summer - so it might be worth checking these as a way to expand your options (eg there's the long gondola down from Méribel to the place whose name I can't remember were there's a train station).
  • CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Andy is talking about Brides Les Bains. As you probably know, Meribel is in another valley, so you'd have to catch a lift up and over and down to Meribel.

Brides Les Bains or Moutiers would be good starting points, if you drop down in the car.
    From Brides, you can access Meribel/Mottaret, and also Courchevel.
    From Moutiers, there's back up to Val Thorens or Valmorel and the Col de a Madeleine (as pointed out by DavidCr). It's a bit of a way to the Cormet de Roselend from here. Probably better driving to Bourg St Maurice where you can do Roselend, Col del'Iseran, Petit St Bernard, La Plagne, Les Arcs.

Or how about something completely left-field. Hire a MTB and use the lift system around the 3 Valleys. Lift up, bomb down, lift back up, bomb down another way, and so on. Plus you can always cycle back up the roughs stuff if you want to avoid lifts !!

Enjoy, whatever you do.

cheers
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Yep Brides-Les-Bains was where I was thinking of. Although I was envisaging the lazier alternative of riding down and then catching the lifts back up and over.

There are some lovely villages lower down the valleys - the ski resorts themselves are pretty naff. Don't ignore the fourth valley.
  • brianonyx
    Thanks for all the tips.

Can't believe I didn't think of taking the bike in the car down to Moutier and exploring from there.

Will also rent an MTB and use the lift system.
  • Hi im down there at end of Aug, doing all the big climbs around there, miribel, madeleline,glandon,la plagne,petti bernard,and maybe galibier. Anyone know what rosseland is like and can you cut across to Aime.
    ding dang do
  • PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    The Cormet de Roselend is a great climb, probably one of the prettiest in that part of the Alps. There is no way to cut across to Aime from the top. Better to go down the Roselend on the other side and then climb back over the Col du Pre back over the top. Quite a tough day out though, but then again I assume that is what you are there for!
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • Sorry, yes thats the route i ment, do you take the turn at the lake. Whats that route like. Also is the N90 a bit busy.
    ding dang do