Torque Wrench

starockets
starockets Posts: 67
edited April 2011 in Workshop
I am thinking of ordering this torque wrench up.....
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=26064
Any thoughts out there on if it is any good?

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    No - the settings are too high.

Bicycle stuff is generally between 2 and 10Nm - stems are around 6, seat post clamps 5/6 etc.

Admittedly the lock ring on Shimano hubs are 40Nm but that's another story.

That one starts at 27.1 Nm, so way too high for 99% of jobs.

For a bicycle you want somethinmg liek a 2Nm - 25 NM and borrow your motorbike building/car building mate's large one (ooooeeeerrrr!) for the lockring.

Check the carbon frame build thread - I've posted a couple of options there, alternatively as one of the guys on there has said, Machine Mart do a few. Sealey Draper for bargain basic, Facom, Snap On for sex in a plastic box.

Don't confuse Nm with lbs/ft or m.kg. Please don't ask me to expalin the difference between them all either!

HTH

Y
  • sh*te :oops: just read the title again, thought it was Nm......thank you very much for spotting that,could have had a stinker :cry:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,578
    sealey stw1012...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-STW1012- ... B000RO1ZCG

if you shop around you can probably get it a bit cheaper (watch out for postage charges!)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    aye

I have the sealey 2 - 24

and the sealey for 25 to 100 (?) - well, the higher one for pedals etc..... May not be 100...
  • Thanks guys, i've seen a couple of the sealey ones on eBay, about £35-£40. Amazon might be a safer option though.
  • Yossie
    Nip down to your loacl professional tool shop (places with girly calendars on the wall, not B & Q) that does S/D: S/D do quarterly discounts catalogues that aren't openly available to the general public - you have to go and ask for them .

They have ridiculously good deals in there so worth a look if they have torque wrenches in this quarter (what's in tehre varies from qiarter to quarter) - as per earlier posts Ipicked up my 2 - 12 for about £23 in a deal.

When paying also remember to say thta it is the deal as they won't generally apply the sale discount otherwise (everyone has to make a living after all........).

HTH

Y
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    anyone know of a 1/4" drive wrench with the right torque range?

I have a load of allen key bits for a 1/4" so if I can avoid buying another set to go with a 3/8 wrench it would be helpful...

thanks
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Yossie
    Go to your local tool shop - they will sell you an adaptor to fit 1/4" bits onto a 3/8th drive - I have a Facom one to this.

Sort of like this but only Facom nice shiney kind. Facom is like having Victoria Pendleton in your tool box. It's very nice and kind and gentle. I've no idea what this stuff is but it gives you a starting point as to what to look for.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 634105695#

Its unlikely that you'll find a torque wrench with low enough settings that uses 1/4".

Anyway, sockets bits will cost you a tenner. A new torque wrench will cost considerably more than that. Just buy he new bits.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    For the lockring and BB applications, keep an eye open on Lidl and Aldi sales. I got a big torque wrench from Lidl for £15. Made in Germany and seemingly decent quality.

@Yossie - how do you know that VP is 'very nice and kind and gentle'?!!! She might be quite the opposite :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Yossie
    Higher torque setting wrenches are pretty cheap to get hold of - as either Rolf has said or various available through t'internet (Machine Mart, Sealey Draper, etc, etc).

Rolf: I know because I know :) I'm not letting all my secrets out on one workshop torque wrench based thread ......... :D
  • rammer
    rammer Posts: 252
    I bought this one from crc, perfect for 90% stuff on your bike, I think a rear cassette lockiring needs about 40nm.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=11142