Experience selling 'older' bikes

stevec205gti
stevec205gti Posts: 366
edited May 2011 in Road general
Anyone got any experience of trying to sell older road bikes? My dad would like to sell his race bike from the mid 80's as it's not been used for about 10 years, and wondered if anyone on here would know of where I could get a good price for it?

The trouble is (in my eyes anyway) it's a bit of a mish mash of bits as it got updated over the ages, but a rough spec is as follows:-

Vitus 979 Duralinox f+f with Peugeot livery
Strongllight head set and BB
Cinelli stem and bars
Early Shimano 600 52/42 chainset
Later Shimano 600 downtube levers and front and rear mech - 7 speed
Shimano 600/Ultegra hubs with Mavic clinchers (Hand built by Swinnertons if I remember correctly)
Campag Delta calipers and levers - only done a couple of hundred dry miles over their entire life, they are immaculate

Realistically he's after the best price he can get to get a new bike to potter around on - I think the question is whether it's better to try and shift it as one thing or break it up
Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Split it, the Delta's go for silly money on their own. Try here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewfo ... 46ef476943
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Thanks for the pointer, that site looks perfect for all the info I need
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    edited April 2011
    I reckon you could get around £120 for the brakes and levers, around £150 for the frame assuming it in good condition, not sure about the rest though.

Good luck with the sale.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    could be interested in the frame depending on size and condition
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try posting on the Retrobike Forum - they have a "what's it worth?" thread.

I'd certainly split the brakes from the bike - but the rest of the parts don't have any intrinsic value on their own.

With Delta brakes, value depends a lot on model and finish - Croce d'Aune go for a lot less that Record in Century finish even through they're similar in design
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • spenb
    spenb Posts: 14
    I have a bike very similar to this but with the complete 600 ultegra group set.

I built it up myself (therefore no labour costs)

Its a shame but it cost me in1989 just over £2200.

What a nice bike I could get for that now - although it was a nice bike then.
    I'm not BITTER - Just TWISTED
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    In real terms the 'value' of bikes has steadily dropped over the years - a Shimano 600-equipped bike may have sold for £1500 in 1989 and you can get a carbon-framed, Ultegra-equipped bike for the same money today.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..