New to road biking..what races?

Nick1978
Nick1978 Posts: 93
edited April 2011 in Amateur race
Hi everyone

Ive just bought a road bike and was thinking of entering some races but I have absolutey no idea which races i should be entering for a road cycling beginner. Im willing to travel and I do a bit of mountain biking so my fitness is ok. I cycle to work once a week which is a 52 mile round trip but i dont think im ready for much more than this. Ive bought a second hand decent bike which is up to the job I think, its just a matter of finding out what races to start with.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    In your situation I'd be tempted to join a club and get advice from those in the know. British Cycling is a reasonable start for your search
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Hi Nick,

This is a good one and not too far for you. 4th Cat's get their own race and it's on a closed circuit. Good Friday...

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events ... er-Classic
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    By the sounds of it I don't think you're ready for racing as a 4th Cat (it sounds from your post as though you rarely ride more than 30 miles in one go).

I'd advise you to get comfortable riding 50-60 miles in one go (and close to 3 hours) before racing in a 3-4 crit.

The best way to get there though is going to be finding a local cycling club and riding with them + signing yourself up for some sportives / charity rides. You may also be able to find some Go Race events near by which are good taster sessions.
  • I rode my first crits at castle combe few years back. Had not done any specific training (never heard of an interval) had just been riding my bike when I could.

Was great fun, very fast but possible to sit in the bunch and try and hang on the back through the corners and chicane. I think I managed to hang on until the E/1/2 group caught us with about 4/3 laps to go before finally being shelled.

You'll never know if you're fit enough to race unless you go an have a go :)
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    As well as bunch racing, don't forget there is "another side" to racing on the road, namely time-trialling (riding over a set course as fast as possible with riders started at 1 minute gaps). As a beginner you'd be best to try some local club events (usually held in the evening during the summer) at a club near to you.

If you do decide to try bunch racing, get some experience riding with others in close formation first. Is there a club near to you that organises a local "chaingang" through the summer?
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Hi Nick,

Here's a race which is local to you and takes place at the end of this month: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/index.html. It's probably one of the best, most friendly and fun TTs in the area and if nothing else it will show you how you compare to a lot of the other local racing cyclists. We'll have riders of all abilities from complete novices to elite riders and you can be assured of a warm welcome. Ordinary road bikes are fine - there are even prizes for those riding road bikes with no aero-equipment. You'll need to get you entry sent in in the next few days though.

Ruth

ps. There are a few on this forum riding - NapD, SBezza, RichK, BexSlack, Peejay78, hopper1, Jeff Jones........... have I missed anyone?
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Welcome to the Beacon website

Sorry but the page you requested does not exist

Please make a selection from the menu

on the left or from our Site Map

Argh!
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    It must be the full stop at the end of the URL
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Either 4th cat / novice crits and/or club TT's

Club TT's would be easier to start with, no need for any membership (club or BC)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Hi Nick,

Here's a race which is local to you and takes place at the end of this month: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/index.html It's probably one of the best, most friendly and fun TTs in the area and if nothing else it will show you how you compare to a lot of the other local racing cyclists. We'll have riders of all abilities from complete novices, to elite riders and even one Fat Poseur. You can be assured of a warm welcome. Ordinary road bikes are fine - there are even prizes for those riding road bikes with no aero-equipment. You'll need to get you entry sent in in the next few days though.

Ruth

ps. There are a few on this forum riding - NapD, SBezza, RichK, BexSlack, Peejay78, hopper1, Jeff Jones........... have I missed anyone?

Edited for a more accurate description of entrants and a working link.

The LMTT is my favourite ever event.

Before thinking about racing I'd definitely join a club and have a do at the local chaingangs first.
  • Nick1978
    Nice one thanks for all your replies guys! very hopeful...i think ill contact cheltenham cycling club and try and get some practice in there!
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Nick1978 wrote:
    Nice one thanks for all your replies guys! very hopeful...i think ill contact cheltenham cycling club and try and get some practice in there!

This is what I would recommend. Then you'll get more experience in riding in a bunch and can get a bit of a benchmark for where your pace/fitness is versus members who race.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,714
    Nick1978 wrote:

Looking at your location, you do realise there's a club in Evesham don't you?
  • Nick1978
    ah its ok..ive moved near cheltenham a few weeks agobut havent changed my location yet!! thanks for the info though!
  • Nick1978
    ah its ok..ive moved near cheltenham a few weeks agobut havent changed my location yet!! thanks for the info though!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,714
    No problem - I just know what a pain it can be to lug the bike to a club run a few miles away.