Routes starting in Huddersfield

snaphappyspen
snaphappyspen Posts: 179
edited April 2011 in Routes
Hi,

I have been looking for rides that start in the Huddersfield Area, however i seem to have only been able to find one or two.

Are there any others? or is there a site i must have missed which has such routes?

I have mountain biked before however i was only a kid when i last did it, Im getting back into it and have set my sights on a 60 mile ride in July. So need some beginner rides then moving to more intense to help me reach the fitness needed for thr 60 miler.

Thanks

Dan
Bike - Scott Aspect 45
Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013

Comments

• Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    some reasonable riding on around Emley/Flockton/Bretton/Clayton West. A half decent loop (with some road) can easily clock up 15 - 20 miles.

or otherside of town out toward Slaithwaite etc. Not done it myselfm, but read on here some time ago about soem decent riding
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Rich9 wrote:
    some reasonable riding on around Emley/Flockton/Bretton/Clayton West. A half decent loop (with some road) can easily clock up 15 - 20 miles.

or otherside of town out toward Slaithwaite etc. Not done it myselfm, but read on here some time ago about soem decent riding

Cheers mate, i have done couple of canals and did up to outlane other day and back down New Hey road (alot of fun d/h)

Ill have to keep searching :D
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • Hi

From my experience there isnt much round Hudds for some reason, the council must not like Bridleways.

There are some good looking runs to explore around Dewsbury Golf Club http://www.dewsburygolf.co.uk/contact/find-dewsbury-golf-club.asp. I'm trying to work out a run there myself.

There is the greenway if you want to get some exercise in http://www.sustrans.org.uk/assets/files/leaflets/calder_valley.pdf

You can loop up to Wyke and join the spen valley greenway then head back to Hudds

There are some bits above Holmfirth toward Holme Moss, wasnt too impressed myself.

Finally you can head up around Outlane, Scammonden, Norland moor areas, more calderdale but not far really.

Lee[/url]
  • djen83
    djen83 Posts: 20
    From my experience there isn’t much round Hudds for some reason

Rubbish!

I have lived and cycled in Hudds for years and am still impressed with some of the routes. There are more Bridleways and paths leading out of Marsden than roads! If anybody - (including Lee) would like to discover some fantastic MTB routes in Hudds then PM me. You will not be disappointed!

Dave[/quote]
  • Hi

My memory map might be wrong but I can only see one bridleway leading out of Marsden at stack end (which really doesn't link to much else). There are loads of paths, I guess some may have been made permissive, and plenty of tracks and backroads.

A scan round memory map really doesn't show much bridleway at all. If you have some good loops I'd love to know as we are always looking for new stuff.

By the way the hidden bits round DDGC are excellent!

Lee
  • djen83
    djen83 Posts: 20
    Nay! Forget memory map pal - you need to get exploring!The Stack End bridleway is fantastic, particularly at the minute with the hot weather. There are a couple of good trails that lead onto the Stack End briddleway - you're not looking properly! Get yourself out on the bike and I'll show you around - I bet you will eat your hat!

I've got the next three weeks off work if anybody is up for learning some new routes.

Dave.