Should I just need to tighten

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited April 2011 in The workshop
Been getting a clunk when pedalling so I followed Sheldon's advice (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html#bottom) and think it's this "Bottom Bracket Cups/Retaining Rings Loose".

Should getting rid of the clunk simply be a case of tightening the BB. Or would it be worth getting a crank tool and BB tool anyway.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends on what is causing the clunk.

it also depends on what your cranks and BB you have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • suzyb
    Cranks are FSA 30/42/52 according to Giant's website. Not sure what the BB is.

I guess what your saying is it may/may not be what I've diagnosed with Sheldon's help so tightening the BB may/may not fix it :wink:
  • nicklouse
    Again it depends on what FSA cranks it is.

it may be lose crank arms, may be a lose BB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • suzyb
    Don't know any more details than that, it's all Giant give on their site.

Going to get the necessary tools today anyway and see if a clean and tighten make a difference.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    my tricross was clunking and creeking (the bike is only 3 weeks old) when i took it back for its check up service, mentioned it to the guys that either the pedals are goosed or BB was iffy.

when i got the bike back they mentioned that the BB shell was loose

all fixed now
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • nicklouse
    suzyb wrote:

Going to get the necessary tools today anyway and see if a clean and tighten make a difference.

what Giant is it?
  • suzyb
    nicklouse wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

what Giant is it?
    SCR 3.0 (2007)

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bik ... 124/14226/
  • nicklouse
    ahh standard internal type.

first thing i would be doing is retightening the crank bolts. then i would be seeing if there was any movement. if yes then most likely the BB is shot.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ervice-bbt

service infos.
  • suzyb
    Cheers Nick.

Got the tools today so will have a bit of a fettle tonight hopefully.
  • suzyb
    Does anyone have any idea whether the right crank bolt will be reverse thread or normal. It's completely stuck, I can't get it to budge and want to make sure I'm trying to move it the right way.
  • nicklouse
    normal thread.
  • suzyb
    Finally got the crank bolt loose but then couldn't get the cranks off :roll:

Have given up now, I'll just need to take it to a bike shop and see if they can sort out the clunk. Was hoping to expand my fettleing experience but the desire to not break the bike (any more than I have) has overruled that.
  • nicklouse
    you will need a crank extractor. to remove the arms.
  • suzyb
    I have one, Halford crank extractor. Followed the instructions on Park tools and bicycletutor but neither crank wanted to come loose.

Don't know if it's just tight and I'm too weak to loosen it but I don't want to force it.
  • nicklouse
    lots and lots of force is often needed. but make sure the tool is fully screwed home into the arm before trying to tighten the inner bit to pull the arm off or you can pull the threads out of the arm.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seconded, use a spanner to make sure the extractor is secure in the arms (don't moose it up mind) then use as much force as as needed to extract, with the right tolls you can get whatever your using on the extractor close to the crank arm, then wrap your hands round both and pull them together, you get more force in a safer manner that way.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.