Antarctica .....

jibi
jibi Posts: 857
edited April 2011 in Tour & expedition
The only continent I have not cycled on....

how do I get there for free...

george

Comments

• xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Hi jibi
    why? there's nobody there, its very cold, very difficult to cycle on, etc...
    why not just go around the world again and visit all your old friends and maybe make a few new ones :D
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    jibi wrote:
    The only continent I have not cycled on....

how do I get there for free...

george

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/employment/ ... /index.php

The Halley meteorology job will probably give the best chance for cycling - the snow is mostly reasonably hard. Don't hang around, you've got to apply by tomorrow. :wink:

I recommend that you take a Surly Pugsley
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I cycled around the world once (actually many, many times) while i was at staying the US base at the South Pole a few years ago. Beat Mark Beaumont's time by the proverbial country mile - about ten seconds all up, and went through every line of longitude.

It was very chilly - minus-72 windchill at the time and this in summer, and the elevation is about 10,000 feet.

Alas, Guinness doesn't recognize my record-setting ride, but i do have the distinction of having cycled on every continent.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    Cycling you say... might be a challenge to go that for free...admire the aspiration ...but youre probably too late to do that on a freebee...sadly there are just too many wxnkers trying sell their lame duck trip so they can be the "first to drive, walk in old clothes, or fart about a bit" in Antarctica so they can get daddy's city firm to pay :)

Was sponsored once to climb the peaks around the Vinson massif and map them . Think the trip cost 60k each plus equipment..about 250k for the four of us ..and two of them lived in bottom of Chile so didnt have far to go ...not too many people volunteering that kind of cash for others to do stuff I guess

Have to say it didnt occur even the once to take my bike. Towing a sled with skis was hard enough...