boardman carbon

freddiegrubb
freddiegrubb Posts: 448
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
:oops: Having recently parted company with my Wilier (italian flair- charisma- tradition ,you name it ) frame made in china, you can't argue with the stamp on the b/b. I pondered does anybody know for certain who makes b/man frames. I don't think chris. would be too familiar with lay-up technique but I may be wrong.

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    somewhere in taiwan on the sticker.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Serious question.

CB was always an advocate of bike technology when riding and has worked as equipment manager for team GB overseeing their uber secret technology developments.

And yet.. people keeping making him out to be some sort of bike technology luddite.

I understand the don't like halfords bit but making out he doesn't understand bike manufacture, design and technology is nuts.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i bet he used to cross chain as well :lol: they are apparently british designed with chris having full input control over the design. a cyclist knows what he wants better than a designer in some aspects. i love the feel of mine. i hope to keep it for a long time.
  • :oops: Mr. morstar - you misunderstand me, I was not trying to belittle c/b.I will qualify my last sentence- c/b. will obviously know frame angles, tube lengths etc.but no doubt he & his design team approached a carbon manufacturer with their design & they may possibly not know an awful lot about carbon lay up etc. They will leave this side of things to the experts- hence the reasoning for my last sentence. Crikey I'm not knocking c/b. bikes as I ride one & can totally endorse them . Totally outclasses my previous wilier, which has now gone to a loving & caring new owner.
  • Oi, I'm trying to talk myself out of getting a Boardman. Stop it this instant!
  • :oops: Mr. deptfordmarmoset, if you get one get it still in the sealed box it will take 1 hour to get roadworthy (torque wrench advised) . The frames come up a tad on the large side which was great for me as I bought large, my wilier L never felt quite right & the x large felt too big. chose the b/man L & it's spot on . I'm 6ft. & 80 kg. & never was a good climber but this bike has made me a whole lot better, I like to climb out of the saddle & as the bike is so light I have to watch for possible loss of traction in damp/ wet country lanes. If you get one change the brake blocks pronto as the originals are too hard for the rims & are not brilliant stoppers I fitted koolstop & now all is well. You will not be disappointed !!!!!
  • +1 for changing te brake pads. I also changed to Kool stop (black) and nearly went over the handles bars when testing them - they're bloody great.
    As for the bike (Ltd Ed 2010 Team Carbon) I bloody love it, always has me smiling and enjoying my riding.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    I dont have one, but the number you see out and about is testimony enough I reckon
  • morstar
    Freddiegrub, I re-read your post later and interpreted it completely as you intended so my bad. I have read some absolute codswallop on here about CB so hence my response. One of the most amusing was how Chris has copied every single idea off other companies, this despite the fact so much of the team GB technology was secret because they didn't want others to see. Not quite sure why you'd keep secret borrowed technology.

Anyhoo, the bikes. I recently bought a team carbon. After much research and many vists to lots of bike shops it simply gave me most bang for buck on my budget and the geometry felt great.
    It has now done several hundred miles. This has prompted a need for the gears to be re-set up because the cables weren't secure tightly (not stretched) and the front wheel to be re-trued after a loose spoke.
    Beyond these glitches that I rectified fairly easily, the bike is truly superb. As I have ridden it more and more, it's puts a bigger smile on my face each time.
    It is supremely comfortable and secure in handling on fast technical descents.
    On a club run last week, I consistently had to keep tapping the brakes as my freewheeling speed exceeded others. Even therolling resistance is low!
    It's a great bike for the money.
  • morstar
    Freddiegrub, I re-read your post later and interpreted it completely as you intended so my bad. I have read some absolute codswallop on here about CB so hence my response. One of the most amusing was how Chris has copied every single idea off other companies, this despite the fact so much of the team GB technology was secret because they didn't want others to see. Not quite sure why you'd keep secret borrowed technology.

Anyhoo, the bikes. I recently bought a team carbon. After much research and many vists to lots of bike shops it simply gave me most bang for buck on my budget and the geometry felt great.
    It has now done several hundred miles. This has prompted a need for the gears to be re-set up because the cables weren't secure tightly (not stretched) and the front wheel to be re-trued after a loose spoke.
    Beyond these glitches that I rectified fairly easily, the bike is truly superb. As I have ridden it more and more, it's puts a bigger smile on my face each time.
    It is supremely comfortable and secure in handling on fast technical descents.
    On a club run last week, I consistently had to keep tapping the brakes as my freewheeling speed exceeded others. Even therolling resistance is low!
    It's a great bike for the money.
  • :oops: Let's not digress any more, does anybody know the answer, trek-giant- hong kong fui industries? lets try & find out . In a previous incarnation I used to work for a tissue company, you know the one with the puppy & we made bog roll for at least 6 high st. big names & it was the same tissue. This may apply to carbon fibre industries as well