EVOC Bike Bag - Excess Luggage when flying?

brazilianhipster
brazilianhipster Posts: 56
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
I've just taken delivery of an EVOC bike bag.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... g-10-39710

I'm flying Emirates to Australia and have an allowance of 30kg.

I appreciate that all of my luggage (excluding hand luggage) must not exceed 30kg; however, do you think I'll end up having to pay an excess luggage allowance at the airport due to the size/bulk of the bag?

Cheers.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    some carriers will let you take it as sports equipment - in addition to normal hold baggage

you still pay, but it's usully a lot less than excess baggage charges would be

check with the carrier

if you are going to be there a long time, also check having it sent as freight, might be cheaper

either way, if the bike is valuable make sure you have adequate insurance cover - airline damage cover for hold items is no use
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    Recently flew to spain with EasyJ and on purchasing our tickets we added Sport Equipment to the booking, i believe it was about £20 each way, but did allow our bike bags to weigh upto 32kg...hold luggage was separate...

Check with emirates...I'm sure they have a S'equip option... and will be far far cheaper to do it that way!!

Enjoy Auz
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    Recently flew to spain with EasyJ and on purchasing our tickets we added Sport Equipment to the booking, i believe it was about £20 each way, but did allow our bike bags to weigh upto 32kg...hold luggage was separate...

Check with emirates...I'm sure they have a S'equip option... and will be far far cheaper to do it that way!!

Enjoy Auz
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    I got hammered for excess baggage when i brought my bike back from oz. Oddly enough on the way out nobody batted an eyelid at the weight (i knew it was over weight). That was all the way through to Cairns. But one offical type decided to be an arse as i was coming home.

Check the carriers website for the size of baggage they allow for sports gear, there should be a section on dimensions and packaging requirements(pedals off, handlebars turned in etc) .

I didn't take my bike bag as i was going one way so took a bike box instead.

Make sure you package it very well, my bike took a real hammering from those numpties in baggage handling !