The Spotify Album Review Thread

Westerberg
Westerberg Posts: 652
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
Just a thought: nominate an album that exists on Spotify. No-one can nominate another until the first has at least 3 reviews (seperate posts, marks out of ten).

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Sounds like a great idea, I've found Spotify is a great way to discover new (to me) music.

Can I start by recommending a classic that I just discovered:-

Searching for the Young Soul Rebels by Dexys Midnight Runners

It's not one I'd normally listen to, but a recommendation from the radio got me curious.
    There's loads of energy on this record, it's quite infectious
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • ...It's on the jukebox!

album-searching-for-the-young-soul-rebels.jpg
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Pah! All that "come on Eileen" nonsense and those dungarees/gypsy boy look :roll:

Reminds me of girlfriends with jelly bags, rara skirts and a desparation to be in Bananarama. Still, I try not to be too blinkered about my music tastes... 8)
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Pah! All that "come on Eileen" nonsense and those dungarees/gypsy boy look :roll:

Reminds me of girlfriends with jelly bags, rara skirts and a desparation to be in Bananarama. Still, I try not to be too blinkered about my music tastes... 8)

Definately no dungarees or gypsys on the above album, give it a listen and you'll wonder where it all went wrong for DMR. Superb album.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Bounce!

What did you think of the album Westerberg?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Love Spotify - so will join this game. Have the jukebox album on now will review soon.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Would be nice if we could include a free service as well.

And before you all moan, take note: Spotify is no longer free to new users, you can only sign up to premium accounts now! (Old users with free accounts are unaffected)

For those who want to join in though..... We7 http://www.we7.com is free and pretty similar to spotify
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Susan Tedeschi - Back To The River.

Give it a spin - so to speak................
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    Moved on from spotify to more 'interesting' stuff

check out http://www.soundcloud.com

Build a favorites list and it will play all day without any adverts

Or just listen to the latest and skip tracks that are not one's taste
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • daviesee
    amun1000 wrote:
    Moved on from spotify to more 'interesting' stuff

check out http://www.soundcloud.com

Build a favorites list and it will play all day without any adverts

Or just listen to the latest and skip tracks that are not one's taste

I may be missing something here but I don't need my tracks played over the web. :?
    The attraction of Spotify is listening to music that I don't have.
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    you dont need to upload - just listen

click explore tracks
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • daviesee
    amun1000 wrote:
    you dont need to upload - just listen

click explore tracks

Thanks. I tried it but still prefer the Spotify interface and useability. Maybe once the database grows.

Also, it would appear to break copyright rules. I know Spotify is covered for this but Soundcloud just seems to be shareware. Just sayin............
  • mr_poll
    Ollieda wrote:

And before you all moan, take note: Spotify is no longer free to new users, you can only sign up to premium accounts now! (Old users with free accounts are unaffected)

For those who want to join in though..... We7 http://www.we7.com is free and pretty similar to spotify

I am not about to moan but looking at the website Spotify Open is still available and free, with ads - think its limited to 20 hours per mth though.

To be honest I have had the unlimited free beta version for an age but like it so much i might pay for premium.
  • mr_poll
    Review of dexys midnight runners - Searching For the Young Soul Rebels

Not my kind of music, so out of my comfort zone which is why i like this thread.

For me 6/10

A couple of stand out songs inc Seven Days Too Long, but as album it just didnt continue to grab me and songs merged together. Interesting stuff though and his voice really grows on you throughout listening.

:roll: not exactly NME but hope that will do.
  • Ollieda
    mr_poll wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

I am not about to moan but looking at the website Spotify Open is still available and free, with ads - think its limited to 20 hours per mth though.

To be honest I have had the unlimited free beta version for an age but like it so much i might pay for premium.

Obviously changed since last month then, i might go have a little look see and get in on this spotify action!
  • Ollieda
    Nope, still the same story, when you try to download it you get the option of paying 4.99, 9.99 or using a premium code?

Maybe i'm just being a spanner and can't click the right thing!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    something different.

http://musicovery.com/

but back to the Spotify albums.

Adele 21
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown