Kingsbridge road race, Hillingdon Circuit race

ozzzyosborn206
ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
edited April 2011 in Amateur race
As the title suggests is anyone else doing the Circuit race at HIllingdon on Saturday or the Kingsbridge rr in Devon on Sunday, myself and two team mates are doing them, any ideas on what the courses are like and how the races usually pan out?

Comments

• milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I'm in for the Kingsbridge RR on Sunday, I think the course is 2 laps of 22 rolling miles. Not done it before.

If I were you I'd go extra hard with your team mates on Saturday at Hillingdon, go for the win!
  • ozzzyosborn206
    haha we are going for a good result, not really sure what to expect though, i saw in your race report you won recently so maybe we should watch out for you, who you ride for?
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    As the title suggests is anyone else doing the Circuit race at HIllingdon on Saturday or the Kingsbridge rr in Devon on Sunday, myself and two team mates are doing them, any ideas on what the courses are like and how the races usually pan out?
    If you Utube 'Races at Hillingdon' there's lots of footage of races on the track
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    If its the guy with hairy legs who won at Portreath, a YOGi rider, very strong and tactically aware...watch out!
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    By most accounts, Hillingdon usually ends as a bunch sprint, and is a fairly narrow track which makes those final 200 metres frantic as riders jockey for position. The cat 4 fields have been between 30-40 the past couple of weeks, and averaged 25mph. The 2/3/4 race had a field of 75 first time around, and then 110 on Saturday, and numerous crashes as several riders returned to the club house showing a lot of ripped clothes, blood, and frustration! Both those 2/3/4's ended in a bunch sprint too.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,826
    I thought the racing didn't start till the middle of April on a Tuesday night at Hillingdon :?

Which races are these??
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Saturday beyond spring crit series.
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events ... ng-Crits-3
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,826
    Ahhh thanks weapons I missed that.

Think I will mostly be doing the BCWT races on Tuesdays
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • ozzzyosborn206
    mamba80 wrote:
    If its the guy with hairy legs who won at Portreath, a YOGi rider, very strong and tactically aware...watch out!

i'll keep an eye out for him in that case and go with him if i can...
  • milese
    Whilst I am infinately humbled by the complement, there will be many stronger riders than me there!

I'd watch out for the MDCC guys, there are loads of them, including the winner of the Tom Hawkins and the 2nd Spring Time Pursuit. I just won a 4th cat circuit race.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    yeah i saw there was alot of them, hopefully if we drive it hard for a while it will split up a bit
  • wastrel
    wastrel Posts: 55
    yeah i saw there was alot of them, hopefully if we drive it hard for a while it will split up a bit

If I may suggest club run pace - that way I get more miles/£ before getting dropped :wink:
  • ozzzyosborn206
    club run pace it is then, sounds like a deal
  • I'm thinking of trying Hillingdon for the first time on Saturday. Club run pace would suit me just fine. Oh, and maybe you could break clear with a lap to go and let me sit on your wheel until 10 yards before the finish.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    RE Kingsbridge RR, I make it 1100M of climbing in 65km, (a very quick estimate, using MemoryMap) with the climbs out of Kingsbridge and Dartmouth being the biggest but there lots of others :lol:
    i guess it will split to peices very quickly.
  • milese
    So how did you all get on?

Was a tough race, with a high pace on a hilly course.

I spent most of the race around the middle of the bunch, then moved up nicely after the final turn before making a hash of the finish.

I thought the run in was around the corner for about 5 corners, then found myself right at the front on the final corner and could do nothing but watch as the jump went.

Ended up around 18th I think.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    not sure where i placed, i went early with about a k to go, like you also not having a clue where the finish was and got caught with about 200 to go, team mate got 6th, bit gutted with the result as i think i was one of the stronger riders in the race ah well next time