cannock monkey trail. (not so?) secret location??

dr crash
dr crash Posts: 53
edited April 2011 in Routes
Hi all, around 2/3rds around the monkey where the fireroad sections starts with the valley and then the quarry before the lower clif climb I noticed a track.

It was at the crest just before the 1st valley of the fireroad, the track was off to the left but the waymarker points straight on ahead and there are more markers on the route ahead.

So i head off down the singletrack thinking it was an old dh track but found some man made features,( jumps, boardwalk etc) and it ended right where the next monkey section starts!

Do any locals know the deal with this trac,k as others must ride it but most people shoot off straight past it!

cheers guys!

Comments

• darren555
    darren555 Posts: 194
    AFAIK it's an extension to the Monkey that they've been building.
    It looks finished to me as all the obstructions were removed last time I went down it.
  • dr crash
    I see, i tried to find something on the chase trialbuilders blog but couldn't find anything on there.
    It does seem a bit of an old track to me though...
  • Clark3y
    Clark3y Posts: 129
    Nah it's new, the second half of it (from after the log drop thing) is now the regular red route. The first part is much steeper and trickier though, I suspect it will become a black section.
    There's another trail off to the left at second peak too, not ridden that one yet, presume it joins up to the other one at some point.
  • rybu
    rybu Posts: 84
    Are the above sign posted -going on thursday so sounds good

Ryan
  • Clark3y
    Clark3y Posts: 129
    No, but you can't really miss them.
  • dr crash
    ah i see, i joined at the top so i didnt know they'd put the bottom part into the trail already. The tops pretty exciting but i wouldn't say technical enough to be a black...
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    rybu - as you climb up a bit of fire road you will see a wooden post on your left with an arrow pointing straight on. Ignore the straight on direction and instead take the trail on the left disappearing into the trees...... hard to miss
  • rybu
    pilsburypie - Thanks

Well the weather looks great for Thursday, thanks for the directions.

Ryan :)
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Alternatively, stick to the waymarked route and do not ride unfinished, unopened sections.

The section with the two bridges in is now open. You reach this via the sandpit. Follow the waymarkers.

The section above that is NOT OPEN. Please don't ride it. If it's full of mud and ruts from riders who can't wait, it makes it much harder for us to surface the trail.
  • rybu
    Alex wrote:
    Alternatively, stick to the waymarked route and do not ride unfinished, unopened sections.

The section with the two bridges in is now open. You reach this via the sandpit. Follow the waymarkers.

The section above that is NOT OPEN. Please don't ride it. If it's full of mud and ruts from riders who can't wait, it makes it much harder for us to surface the trail.

Went today, Didnt ride the 'closed' bit as it will ruin it before its even begun........

Spent some time working out how to do the 'black' rock gardens.

Crashed on the first one...... ok on the second

Ryan