Hills in Cheshire

vaseline
vaseline Posts: 46
edited April 2011 in Tour & expedition
I am doing a tour in the summer that involves some fairly hard looking hills. I live in Cheshire and would like to practice going up some hills. The problem is I don't know the best place to go. It is fairly flat near me. I know there is Derbyshire and Clitheroe way but I was looking for somewhere a bit nearer where I live, which is Altrincham. Can anybody tell me the names of some places where I can go and find some hills that are nearby?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wow! There's loads!

Head out towards Alderley Edge, Ride over the Edge by one of several ways (including the cobbled and fantastic Swiss Hill!) then on to Macclesfield and the gateway to the peak district!

An alternative is to join your local cycling club (Seamons) and join them on their hilly club runs...

I'll do you a route if you want, tell me how long a ride you want and I'll sort it...
  • vaseline
    That would be great. I feel like a bit of a schoolboy having lived here all my life but I have only been a bicycle owner for a few months and you never really take notice of slopes when you are driving around.

I'm looking for something around 60 miles. I don't mind driving out a little (maybe as far south as Tatton) before starting, or if that is not far enough, do your best. Your help would be much appreciated.
  • Anonymous
    I'll get cracking!
  • Anonymous
    Would you be able to drive out to Alderley Edge? Saves a lot of boring bit?
  • vaseline
    If I had to then yes. But I would much prefer to start around Tatton. I guess though if you did a 40 mile circuit from AE then the 20 miles return trip from Tatton would make 60.
  • Anonymous
    Here's one starting from south Alty.

Plenty more where this came from! This has a couple of my favourite bits in.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/345309
  • vaseline
    That's just great. Thanks Napoleon.
  • vaseline
    What are your favourite bits by the way?
  • Anonymous
    The little bit Just before the 31 mile mark with the hairpin. Gorgeous down there.

The descents down Beat Lane after the Cloud and Hollin Lane after the Wincle Climb.

Some of the scenery once you get in to the countryside is amazing!

The beginning and end is pretty boring I'm afraid, especially the end but it's the best I could do with the limited mileage and start point.

Let me know if you are free in the week, I may try and meet up and show you some more routes...
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Mow Cop but that's past congleton way. :)
  • Get onto Ashley Road from Hale and follow the Cheshire cycleway signs (route 70) and it'll take you over alot of the route that Nap has given. Once you're past Macclesfield it really is lovely and getting there isn't bad either.
    I live in Altrincham too so PM me if you want to meet up for a ride some time. Unless you're fast, in which case join Seamons!! They have three groups I think which set off at 0900 on a Sunday from Rackhams.
  • vaseline
    At the moment I'm just doing this one route to check my ability up the hills. I'm cycling to work 18 miles a day to get my body ready for being in the saddle for long spells which is draining me more than enough to enable me to go out in the evening. That said, I will probably catch the bug a bit more once the sun starts shining and kill myself from over exertion.

I have seen that Mow Cop and think I would only be able to go along it in one direction
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    One of my favourite routes is to park up in Nether Alderley, go via Prestbury, Mottram, Adlington, Brickworks, Pym's Chair from Kettleshulme side, along the very peaceful Errwood reservoir, up to Cat and Fiddle, down to Macc, up Birtles Lane back to Nether ALderley. It's about 60-65km round trip but you could make that a 60 miler from Alti. It;s about 900m of climbing with no ridiculously steep bits so a good starting point for hill training. I used it as a starting point for my Alps training last year.
  • vaseline
    Ands wrote:
    One of my favourite routes is to park up in Nether Alderley, go via Prestbury, Mottram, Adlington, Brickworks, Pym's Chair from Kettleshulme side, along the very peaceful Errwood reservoir, up to Cat and Fiddle, down to Macc, up Birtles Lane back to Nether ALderley. It's about 60-65km round trip but you could make that a 60 miler from Alti. It;s about 900m of climbing with no ridiculously steep bits so a good starting point for hill training. I used it as a starting point for my Alps training last year.

I'll have a look at that one. Thanks. I had to register on ridewithgps to look at Napoleon's route. I'd never seen it before. It really is a fantastic website. I have been relying on google maps and an OS to check the gradients but this does it all for you. Fantastic.
  • Anonymous
    Ands wrote:

That's a cracker too. Brickworks and the Climb from Errwood to the C+F are great. Nice and steady. The one up to the C+F (That I have put on that route I did) is STUNNING!
  • Ands
    NapoleonD wrote:
    That's a cracker too. Brickworks and the Climb from Errwood to the C+F are great. Nice and steady. The one up to the C+F (That I have put on that route I did) is STUNNING!
    Which route is that up to the C&F?

I like riding round Sutton, Langley, up through the Macc forest (but quite tough at top), Wildboarclough way too, and also the Roaches (because it's really desolate and quiet - bit bleak on a cold wet day tho!).

Vaseline, I'll plot my route for you and post it up.
  • Ands
    Vaseline wrote:
    I'll have a look at that one. Thanks. I had to register on ridewithgps to look at Napoleon's route. I'd never seen it before. It really is a fantastic website. I have been relying on google maps and an OS to check the gradients but this does it all for you. Fantastic.
    This is the route
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/346975
  • Anonymous
    Same route up to the C+F as yours, from Errwood. It really is a good looking climb :o
  • FoolishFour
    FoolishFour Posts: 11
    edited April 2011
    Long time lurker - first time poster....

Just taken a look at the route - some absolute crackering climbs - especially the C+F - not to be taken lightly though! Coincidentally did most of http://ridewithgps.com/routes/346975 on Saturday morning - but started from Holmes Chapel rather than Alderley. All I am going to say is.... pack some food as if you bonk in the middle of the Peak District it can be painful going until you manage to find somewhere to grab something to eat. Made that mistake myself before and learnt my lesson the hard way.
  • Anonymous
    Long time lurker - first time poster....

Just taken a look at the route - some absolute crackering climbs - especially the C+F - not to be taken lightly though! Coincidentally did most of http://ridewithgps.com/routes/346975 on Saturday morning - but started from Holmes Chapel rather than Alderley. All I am going to say is.... pack some food as if you bonk in the middle of the Peak District it can be painful going until you manage to find somewhere to grab somethin to eat. Made that mistake myself :oops:

You from HC?!
  • Originally... yes for my sins.
    Currently in London, but was home for Mother's Day... you?
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, live in HC...
  • vaseline
    Ands wrote:
    Vaseline wrote:
    This is the route
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/346975

Great thanks. I was going to map it when I got to work this morning. Saves me the job. Now I can get on with something else.
  • What is the local club to HC - or equivalently is there a group I could join when I visit the north (which is around every 2 months or so?). Would it be a problem to casually join the group every so often?

I only picked up cycling recently and I have no clue about the scene "up north" :D
  • Anonymous
    I'm in macclesfiel wheelers. There's also Congleton and Crewe but Macc is the best ;)
  • elffy
    elffy Posts: 98
    Apologises for gate crashing this post but I was cycling in the Peak District this morning and thought you might be interested in this route.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81164912

I know it's starting from Bramhall but you could amend the route to suit your location. I'm no hill climber so found this route challenging in parts but it wasn't so intense that you were climbing all the time.

The ride lasted just short of 4 hrs but I was cycling with someone who was struggling at times so it could be done quicker.