Scarponi on Contador

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    andyp wrote:
    You weren't a Boogerd fan were you, Rick?

I'm disappointed in you.

Still am.

Why?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I thought you liked riders who won big races, not those who came up with the most pathetic excuse for why they hadn't won? :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    I thought you liked riders who won big races, not those who came up with the most pathetic excuse for why they hadn't won? :wink:

Hey - Boonen was in that boat only last year.

I have no idea what my criteria for liking riders is - there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern.
  • andyp wrote:

Best excuse I heard was some claimed he lost a TT cos he sneezed!

:D
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:

Are Paris- Nice ,Amstel Gold and TDF stages not big races any more then.........when did this happen ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    andyp wrote:

I'm disappointed in you.

Still am.

Why?

Thought you didn't like dopers. Boogie-man hasn't been done as far as I can remember but there is much suspiscion round this rider.

I have a great photo of him but can't find it atm.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    andyp wrote:

I'm disappointed in you.

Still am.

Why?

Thought you didn't like dopers. Boogie-man hasn't been done as far as I can remember but there is much suspiscion round this rider.

As much as there is around the so far un-done Contador? :wink:
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:

I'm disappointed in you.

Still am.

Why?

a) I don't like dopers who get caught especially when b) they come up with some bullsh!t excuse.

Boogerd rode in a different time anyway. It's not like he took victories off any people who where genuinely clean. It's not like he took victories off anyone... I have different measuring standards for those guys through the '90s and early '00s.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    andyp wrote:

I'm disappointed in you.

Still am.

Why?

When you stand on a mountain with an old bus parked 200 yards away with it's side lugage doors open and the TV showing the Stage, "live".
    The Dutchmen doing a war dance in the road to a chant of "the Boogie Mans coming", have a beer so you join in the celebration until he passes to win the stage.

On Juice, I doubt it.
    He was just a Gutsy rider that took off in the rain as some Texan whimp gave up and Sulked as he rode his bicycle the wrong way into oblivion we hoped.
    The Boogey man won that stage with good bike handling and loads of effort.
    Always loads of effort, so count me in as a Boogie Fan.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • frenchfighter
    I didn't say I didn't like him. On the contary, although I was never around to watch him at his best.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Moray Gub wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Are Paris- Nice ,Amstel Gold and TDF stages not big races any more then.........when did this happen ?

Of course they are. But how many times was Boogerd in contention for adding to that list in proper big races, only to make some dumb tactical decision and throw it all away, then blame it on something other than his own dumb tactics?

Btw, do we need better emoticons to better show that this was a light hearted discussion?
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    I quite like the will he wont he get busted for drugs, some stages are long and it helps pass the time.

last year contador fought with everything he had to win drugs or not, and the time trial where he was told he was behind that left him shocked in pain and upset at the end showed his true colours. He doesnt give in, hes a fighter and a winner and thats why hes great to watch.

Sometimes he screws up but he still never calls it quits (paris nice).

Does anyone honestly believe that Either Schleck is clean??
  • frenchfighter
    The pain he suffered in that TT was huge.

http://www.grassyknolltv.com/2010/tour- ... R2GOYS.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    BarryBonds wrote:
    I quite like the will he wont he get busted for drugs, some stages are long and it helps pass the time.

last year contador fought with everything he had to win drugs or not, and the time trial where he was told he was behind that left him shocked in pain and upset at the end showed his true colours. He doesnt give in, hes a fighter and a winner and thats why hes great to watch.

Sometimes he screws up but he still never calls it quits (paris nice).

Does anyone honestly believe that Either Schleck is clean??

Nope, but they haven't tested positive. What really sucks more than anything is the guys that get caught and then start to lie, whine and generally act as victims. Now who springs to mind......
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    The pain he suffered in that TT was huge.

http://www.grassyknolltv.com/2010/tour- ... R2GOYS.jpg

Jeeze. He looks about 10 years older than he did at the start.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    dougzz wrote:
    Nope, but they haven't tested positive. What really sucks more than anything is the guys that get caught and then start to lie, whine and generally act as victims. Now who springs to mind......

Let's imagine that you are a pro-cyclist who dopes, and as you're "on the inside" you know that the majority of the peloton do as well. You get busted but they don't. Wouldn't you feel a little hard done by? I would.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    ff have you knocked one out over the bertie swimwear shot yet?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • frenchfighter
    Sanchez on Contador.

According to Samuel Sánchez, leader of the Euskaltel-Euskadi team and a favorite to win the Tour of the Basque Country, Alberto Contador is the only cyclist in the peloton with the kind of strength that can guarantee fans a spectacular show at the races.

J. Gómez Peña commented in an interview with the Asturian cyclist at El Correo yesterday that González de Galdeano, manager of Euskaltel, considers the reigning Olympic champion as sometimes too calculating in his approach.

Sánchez responded by saying, “It’s just that the cycling of today has changed. Forces are very measured. If you do one pedal stroke too many, there’s always somebody behnd who’s going to take advantage of it.

“The races demand a lot of calculation. The only cyclist who can put on a spectacle and radiate strength is Alberto. That’s why he's won five grand tours. The rest of us aren’t so much up for spectacle. We’re not at his level.”

Gómez Peña continues: “Contador, furthermore, has shown mental fortitude. After eight months of suspension, he comes back and wins.” Sánchez concludes, “It’s admirable. I usually send him messages of encouragement. It’s admirable how he’s gone out to train every day when the easiest thing to do would be to stay home and see how his case is resolved.

“I admire him and he knows it. He’s got guts.”

Samuel Sánchez, hot off victory in the GP Miguel Indurain, continues his assault on the Vuelta al País Vasco in Stage 2 tomorrow, after arriving in second place today in a photo finish with Joaquim Rodriguez, current race leader.

-El Correo
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    UCI on Contador: "We think he's a cheat"

WADA on Contador: "Me too"

CAS on Contador: "Have you got a minute..."
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Sanchez on Contador.

Alberto Contador is the only cyclist in the peloton with the kind of strength that can guarantee fans a spectacular show at the races.

The Tour of Flanders must have slipped him by :roll:
  • vision267
    vision267 Posts: 149
    Shame you guys can't get behind this Champion and one from an early age at that.

Are you deliberately trying to provoke a response?

He's a cheat. Why would anyone 'get behind him' except to push him off an Alp?
    That's very strong.Do you know how much a picogram is?If that's performance enhancing than I'm a Dutchman.Paul Kimmage is a demented Irishman by the way,I can say that as I am Irish.