Shimano and BB30

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited April 2011 in The workshop
All, looking at a new frame for a commuter and it comes with a BB30 bracket. I'm trying to keep the costs down by moving the kit on the commuter over to the new frame (in my head at least!) but I'm very sure that the current BB is an British standard BB, i.e. 68mm, the reason being it appears to screw into the BB shell. Therefore they're not compatible.

Or are they? Looking on Wiggle I found this converter. Would that be what I need to run my current Shimano crankset in a BB30 shell?
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all dpends on your current cranks. there are better options.

but yes it will make the frame English thread compatible.

fitting info

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95-6415-003-000.pdf
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wrath Rob
    You tease...

Its a Shimano Tiagra 9-spd compact. If that's the case what are the better options?
  • nicklouse
    what fitting? square taper? external bearing? Tiagra has had many versions over the years.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Wrath Rob
    Hmm, not sure hence the quetions. How do I find out? Its a 2008 Boardman so not that old
  • nicklouse
    have a look at Parktools it shows all the versions.

you just need to see if it is an internal or external BB.
  • Wrath Rob
    Ok, will do. Just had a look at the Workshop section on here and fitting BB30 bearings seems pretty simple.
  • Wrath Rob
    I should pay more attention! They're not Shimano at all, Truativ GXP Elite's, so external BB
  • nicklouse
    ok my answer is basically the same but with GXP slant.

you can fit the aforementioned adaptor or you can use the BB30 bearings and the following adapters.

http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/892/67/

I would use the BB30 bearings and adapters as it is easier to fit and remove.
  • Wrath Rob
    Thanks, looks good. If I get the frame I'll take your advice