The Beacon Little Mountain TT 2011 is HERE!

BeaconRuth
BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
edited April 2011 in Amateur race
I know lots of BikeRadarites have been waiting for this.......... here it is. Entries already in from NapD, Hopper1, SBezza, Sheptastic. Who else is going to join in the fun?

The Classic Beacon Little Mountain Time Trial
Sunday 24th April, 8.00am
Great Witley, Worcestershire

Now is the time to get your entry in for our epic event held in deepest Worcestershire amongst the leafy-green freshness of the English spring countryside at its best. There are some great names on the list of past winners from Olympian Bob Maitland in the inaugural 1948 event, through to time trialling legend Ray Booty in 1961 and the future Amateur World Champion Graham Webb in 1963. Winners of the men's race in recent years include Stuart Dangerfield, Gethin Butler and Matt Bottrill and topping the podium for the women have been Marina Bloom and Rebecca Slack.

Due to roadworks on the usual course we have made a temporary modification to the route so this year riders will avoid the infamous climb of Ankerdine. However, the route now goes up Stanford Bank twice so you can have two shots at the same timed climb and the revised course is overall a touch longer at 41 miles.

The generous £100 1st Prize may attract the best time triallists but this is much more than just a race for the elite. The very challenging and technical course is well-suited to road bikes and any rider is invited to enter the 'Roadman' category on a standard road bike. If racing for you is all about beating your own previous best then there are prizes for the best improvement on your previous performance. Despite the slightly longer course we will still hold this competition and if no one beats their previous time the prizes will go to those who get closest to their time on the usual course.

All event details including a map, course details and how to enter can be found here: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/index.html

A list of entries already received will be posted regularly here: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/ ... tries.html

We'll look forward to receiving your entry.

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Ruth

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bump!

This is the best event I've ever done! Great organisation, fantastic atmosphere! Spectators cheering you up the climbs! :)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    .. entry form already filled out... on the way to the postbox...
  • Sheptastic
    Sheptastic Posts: 298
    The excuses start here.. I have the BUCS '25' the previous day so my legs will be sha33ed!

Can't wait though!
  • Anonymous
    My excuse is that I'm an overweight asthmatic with a duff leg.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Can't think of one, off hand... But I'll have a good excuse on the line! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I will be racing a 10 on Good Friday, though I can't really use that as an excuse, there is a day in between to recover.

Looking forward to it, course looks good. No doubt it will be just as hard as last year, just hope to go a little faster :twisted:
  • hopper1
    SBezza wrote:
    I will be racing a 10 on Good Friday, though I can't really use that as an excuse, there is a day in between to recover.

Looking forward to it, course looks good. No doubt it will be just as hard as last year, just hope to go a little faster :twisted:

Eurika!... I'm doing a Good Friday 10, too... Excuse sorted :wink:
    Cheers Steve :lol:
  • BeaconRuth
    Nobody needs an excuse in this event. If you ride and complete it you deserve a deal of respect because it's not for the faint-hearted. (Why do you think I organise it?.................. because it gets me out of riding it!)

An update of entries received is here: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/ ... tries.html

SBezza and JGSI are now on the list!

Ruth
  • Sheptastic
    Sheptastic Posts: 298
    NapoleonD wrote:
    My excuse is that I'm an overweight asthmatic with a duff leg.

ooh I'm asthmatic too! Thats 2 excuses why I will be walking up stanford bank.
  • hopper1
    Field is growing quite well, now.
    Still a very daunting ride...
  • SBezza
    hopper1 wrote:
    SBezza wrote:

Eurika!... I'm doing a Good Friday 10, too... Excuse sorted :wink:
    Cheers Steve :lol:

I can't use that excuse after this weekend, :lol: , will have the search around for another one :lol:
  • BeaconRuth
    Here's another update of entries received: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/ ... tries.html

Good to see the return of Jeff Jones this year to enhance the gathering of BikeRadarites. :D

Ruth
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    It had to be done :wink: Looking forward to it Ruth, even if the course has been modified. I promise I'll bring my TT bike this time.

2 days after the Rudy Project in Buxton, which should make a nice weekend in the Midlands.

Wonder if Mr Bottrill's going to enter again? No course record to beat but on current form he'd win by a good six minutes over that sort of distance.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • SBezza
    Good to see you have entered Jeff :D
  • this TT looks really good :) sadly i cant make it and also i dont think i would finish the Race :D

best of luck guys.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Anonymous
    Not sure if I can make it down, skint beyond belief :(
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    this TT looks really good :) sadly i cant make it and also i dont think i would finish the Race :D

best of luck guys.

My (only) aim last year was simply to finish. I still consider that one of my highlights of the year.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • SBezza
    NapoleonD wrote:

I can pick you up and drive you down there, you aren't that far from Crewe :wink:
  • bexslack
    bexslack Posts: 81
    I have a real dilemma here...

The coach doesn't think I should do this given the other racing commitments I have...

but the organiser would like me to defend my title...

Eeny meeny miny mo.....
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    defend!

the field looks really strong at the moment. lots of hillclimbers have signed up i see.
  • SBezza
    bexslack wrote:
    I have a real dilemma here...

The coach doesn't think I should do this given the other racing commitments I have...

but the organiser would like me to defend my title...

Eeny meeny miny mo.....

Bex, just do it as a training race :wink::lol:
  • SBezza
    peejay78 wrote:
    defend!

the field looks really strong at the moment. lots of hillclimbers have signed up i see.

It is the rolling bits you really need to be strong on IMO, and descend like a demon. You can only get so much back on the hills.

Got to say Jeff at the moment looks the strongest.

No pressure Jeff :wink:
  • bexslack
    SBezza wrote:
    bexslack wrote:
    Bex, just do it as a training race :wink::lol:

I'm a little bit tempted to send in a cheeky late entry and wait and see whether I appear on the start sheet!!!..... :lol:
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    SBezza wrote:
    peejay78 wrote:
    defend!

It is the rolling bits you really need to be strong on IMO, and descend like a demon. You can only get so much back on the hills.

Got to say Jeff at the moment looks the strongest.

No pressure Jeff :wink:
    I'm tipping Matt Clinton at the moment (not forgetting Danny Axford either)

Bexslack: do it, you know you want to :wink:
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i like that they've resurrected the road-bike category.

i' can hold it on the rolling bits, but to be honest, it's the hills where i'll make up time, and this is probably true for some of the other hillclimbers. but yeah, it won't level it out completely.

excited to be riding the same race as john woodburn and mick ives as well.
  • bexslack
    Right.... my entry is in the post. I guess my participation will depend on whether my coach or the event organiser opens the envelope.... :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    Are they one and the same then? :wink:
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    Last year one entrant turned up on an old steel framed audax bike with large bag included. He looked somewhat out of place in contrast to the carbon riding, skinsuited and aero-helmeted competitors. It is probably not unreasonable to assume that most entrants dismissed him as likely to finish with a quick time.

Don't underestimate your competitors, he was overtaking other riders as though there was no tomorrow. He may have even picked up a prize in the process and I think he came in under the 2hr mark.
  • BeaconRuth
    dead sheep wrote:
    Last year one entrant turned up on an old steel framed audax bike with large bag included. He looked somewhat out of place in contrast to the carbon riding, skinsuited and aero-helmeted competitors. It is probably not unreasonable to assume that most entrants dismissed him as likely to finish with a quick time.

Don't underestimate your competitors, he was overtaking other riders as though there was no tomorrow. He may have even picked up a prize in the process and I think he came in under the 2hr mark.
    To those in the know, Phil, Glenn Longland is a former multi-national champion at every distance from 50 miles to 24hrs and twice winner of the BBAR. It made some Beacon members' day to meet a time-trialling legend in the flesh. He didn't ride with a pannier I'm afraid, much as it makes a nice story to exaggerate how heavy his bike was. However, there's certainly no disputing that, aged 54, he did a very very impressive ride on a road bike.
    Pross wrote:
    Are they one and the same then? :wink:
    We should call you Sherlock, Pross!

Peejay78 - my apologies but you crept into the entries under my radar. Looking forward to meeting you.
    SBezza wrote:
    NapD wrote:
    I can pick you up and drive you down there, you aren't that far from Crewe :wink:
    That sounds like an offer you can't refuse, NapD. If you're really really skint I promise to buy you tea and cake AFTER you've ridden. :D

Anyhoo - here's an update of entries received: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/ ... tries.html

Shall we have a BikeRadar Corner at the HQ where we can all meet up?!

Ruth
  • Anonymous
    Due to super sorting of finances (selling my hifi) I am pleased to say that I am saved from bankruptcy and will be making my way down.

Many many many thanks to Steve for his very kind offer.

I was one of the ones overtaken by Glenn btw... :o