KMC 10 Speed Chain Links - Any good?

juankerr
juankerr Posts: 1,099
edited April 2011 in Workshop
As per the subject, are these any good? I've been using the 8 speed & 9 speed SRAM ones for a few years and really rate them, but know the 10 speed SRAM ones are for one time fixes, good for a road-side repair but not so good for chain removal for cleaning.

I've just found out that these KMC ones exist and come in Campy/Shimano flavours.

So, do they work well for removal/re-joining? I've got a Shimano 10sp chain.

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    The KMC ones are perfect for removal/re-joining. I use KMC chains and they come with the chain links, fairly easy to remove them for deeper chain cleaning.

I have never had any issues with them.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I guess this is kind of related but not really. I had a KMC Missing Link for my 9 speed simply fall apart when changing gear the other week. No real stress on the gears, just a gentle incline. Luckily I had a spare in my bag (also had a chain tool as plan b) but I was disappointed that it just seemed to fail so easily. I heard a crunch and clang and looked back to see my chain about 5 yards behind me on the road.

So, they are good but not infallible. I do use them (the 10sp ones) on my KMC X10L chain and they have been fine on that. I did read somewhere that the 10sp ones are not supposed to be reusable (or may be that is just the SRAM ones?) but I have split and rejoined it on the odd occassion without problems (although it does take the Park chain pliers to do this).
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    SRAM "Powerlock" 10 speed ones are single use; KMC 10 speed are reusable. I always carry a spare, plus shimano pins and a chain tool, just to be safe. Never had a KMC link fail yet though (I have them on 5 bikes including mtb and commuter bikes, on 8,9 and 10 speed chains).
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I use them on my 10 speed 105. I like being able to take the chain off when cleaning the drivechain properly. Got the KMC link removal pliers which makes it far easier.

When I first fitted one I found it extremely difficult driving out the pin on the 105 chain. bent the handle and the pin on the chain tool (which I'd used many times without issue on 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 speed chains). Can't imagine doing that too often, and I doubt I'd be able to at the roadside with the multitool. I think the Missing Links are a godsend.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    SBezza wrote:
    The KMC ones are perfect for removal/re-joining. I use KMC chains and they come with the chain links, fairly easy to remove them for deeper chain cleaning.

I have never had any issues with them.

+1
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    alfablue wrote:
    SRAM "Powerlock" 10 speed ones are single use; KMC 10 speed are reusable. I always carry a spare, plus shimano pins and a chain tool, just to be safe. Never had a KMC link fail yet though (I have them on 5 bikes including mtb and commuter bikes, on 8,9 and 10 speed chains).

It's the 11 speed ones that come with the 'use once' warning.
  • alfablue
    Bondurant wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

It's the 11 speed ones that come with the 'use once' warning.
    No. 10 speed ones also
    SRAM chain engineers developed PowerLock as a tool free, sure and consistent way to connect our 10 speed chains. While PL does not require special tools for install, the especially tight tolerances of 10 Speed drive trains mandated that each PowerLock is good for a one-time application only.
    http://www.sram.com/sram/road/technologies/190
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    i use the kmc 10-speed on sram chains, instead of the single-use sram powerlock, also carry a spare in case of broken link/chain
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I think there is some confusion here.I think Bondurant is referring to KMC 11 Speed as not being re-usable but 10 Speed is fine.

I think you are referring to Sram 10 Speed alfablue ?

Anyway,to the OP I've used KMC X10L and a missing link.I re-used the same link three times with no issues.
    As to whether KMC say this is OK,I'm not 100% sure.
  • alfablue
    I think there is some confusion here.I think Bondurant is referring to KMC 11 Speed as not being re-usable but 10 Speed is fine.

I think you are referring to Sram 10 Speed alfablue ?

Anyway,to the OP I've used KMC X10L and a missing link.I re-used the same link three times with no issues.
    As to whether KMC say this is OK,I'm not 100% sure.
    Ah right. Well as far as I know, KMC 10 speed are fine to re-use, SRAM 10 speed not; KMC make re-usable links for all chain sizes (and some non re-usable versions) except the 11 speed, which is non re-usable

http://www.kmcchain.eu/?en/products/con ... ing_links/

:lol:
  • Would love to know why Sram 10 can't be re-used. Is it because it can't be separated?
    -- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    Would love to know why Sram 10 can't be re-used. Is it because it can't be separated?

you can remove it easily with a pair of link pliers, but it takes more force than a link designed for re-use, presumably this means it is damaged it the process
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • juankerr
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll get some bought.
  • juankerr
    Treated myself as I'm stuck at home on call this weekend, plus my existing chain must be getting on a bit...

2 x KMC X10 chains
    1 additional set of Quick Links
    1 x KMC Quick Link Removal Pliers

=£44 from Ribble. Bargain!
  • Don't bother with the KMC links.

Have a look at Merlin, they sell the YBN quick links which I think are the same, only £1.99 each!!
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    I have a KMC quicklink chain on my commuter and it's been fine, however, I've just put a new one on the best bike and it was too long, and I can't get the blessed thing apart!! Anyone got any idea's (ideally I can do tonight without having to invest in the aforementioned KMC pliers!)?

Edit : the quicklink that is.
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    Cancel Cancel. I've done it with a bit of brute force and some needlenose pliers. Not before I'd cut my finger though, doh!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Just bought a couple of these. So will see how I get on with them.

I have just used the supplied Sram ones before so will be interesting to see what the difference is, if any.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • leejdavies
    leejdavies Posts: 217
    I used my KMC 10 speed chain(with missing link) for about 18 months with not one issue. Doesn't even look that worn and I remove my chain completely every fortnight or so.

Just got an 11 speed one and works great with Campag chains (didn't have KMC ones in stock at the time :evil:) and works great too. And it doesn't require a £140 chain tool!!!
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot