my new bike

dizzyduck
dizzyduck Posts: 39
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
I'm looking for a bike costing around £300 for town & trails, canal paths, etc. but also strong enough (and with enough clearance) to ride around rougher terrain with thicker tires.

Dawes Discovery 301
Giant Escape 2/3/4
Giant Seek 4
Carrera Subway 2
Revolution Trailfinder '11

Which would you pick?

I am not sure I will like a cross bike because of the drop bars... What features besides the drop bars makes them a cross? I want a cross bike with straight handles - does this exist?

Thank you.

Comments

• This is getting dangerously close to being an mtb thread. :(
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd get something like this and maybe spend a little updating some of the bits (not that you really need to):
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARIN-Bobcat-Trai ... 4aa9d7af6a

It's a well built yet fairly light quality bike with a solid front fork.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    its an mtb :roll:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • I was after the very same thing. A universal bike.

You are looking at MTB style which are fine, but not swift, stiff and easy rolling on the road.

I discounted tourers because they were heavy in my price bracket. I'd love one, but when I can afford a really good one. I didn't go for MTB style because I have an MTB and they're much harder work on the road. And def nothing with front forks, which add to the weight and dissipate your riding energy (unless you lock it and then what's the point of having it in the first place). I wanted one that was a proper good bike, fast & responsive still but a go-anywhere-do-anything and not too heavy as I'd be on & off trains with it.

I went for a road-based hybrid, or an "urban" or a commuter - whatever you want to label it. - a specialized sirrus. I also had on my shortlist Trek 7.5FX, carerra someting or other and the Boardman hybrids are pretty good too, my friend has one. There was a review in last month's Cycling Plus on hybrids, they were all pretty good, I think the boardman won.

I went to LBS and tried for size, once I had narrowed the shortlist and knew what I wanted & exact size requirements I waited for a suitable model to come up 2ndhand as I didn't have full whack funds. Bought my specialized sirrus comp for £300 (£699 new), year-old with v little usage.

Fair price, spanking bike, money well spent as it's proved to be everything I wanted and a really enjoyable ride too.

Fitted all manner of commute bits & bobs to it so LBS stilll happy with me even tho I didn't get the bike from them. Been on & off road (trails & river towpaths etc), rides with kids, tagalong attached at times, pop to the shops on it, tootle to local meetings on it, commute to work on it, on & off trains with it. Been brilliant.

Waited a long time for it. Ebay is very odd, same model as mine going for £550, offered as a "bargain" because a year ago it was £700, even tho Evans etc were selling off the 2009 stock for £450 new. MY 2ndhand seller was on bikeradar.

My advice: know what you want. Look for a bargain, stay abreast of the going rate at different sources to make sure you don't over-pay, be ready to strike quick when you find it, don't fanny around with ebay.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Cyclocross?
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • squigs
    squigs Posts: 149
    I was after the very same thing. A universal bike.

You are looking at MTB style which are fine, but not swift, stiff and easy rolling on the road.

I discounted tourers because they were heavy in my price bracket. I'd love one, but when I can afford a really good one. I didn't go for MTB style because I have an MTB and they're much harder work on the road. And def nothing with front forks, which add to the weight and dissipate your riding energy (unless you lock it and then what's the point of having it in the first place). I wanted one that was a proper good bike, fast & responsive still but a go-anywhere-do-anything and not too heavy as I'd be on & off trains with it.

I went for a road-based hybrid, or an "urban" or a commuter - whatever you want to label it. - a specialized sirrus. I also had on my shortlist Trek 7.5FX, carerra someting or other and the Boardman hybrids are pretty good too, my friend has one. There was a review in last month's Cycling Plus on hybrids, they were all pretty good, I think the boardman won.

I went to LBS and tried for size, once I had narrowed the shortlist and knew what I wanted & exact size requirements I waited for a suitable model to come up 2ndhand as I didn't have full whack funds. Bought my specialized sirrus comp for £300 (£699 new), year-old with v little usage.

Fair price, spanking bike, money well spent as it's proved to be everything I wanted and a really enjoyable ride too.

Fitted all manner of commute bits & bobs to it so LBS stilll happy with me even tho I didn't get the bike from them. Been on & off road (trails & river towpaths etc), rides with kids, tagalong attached at times, pop to the shops on it, tootle to local meetings on it, commute to work on it, on & off trains with it. Been brilliant.

Waited a long time for it. Ebay is very odd, same model as mine going for £550, offered as a "bargain" because a year ago it was £700, even tho Evans etc were selling off the 2009 stock for £450 new. MY 2ndhand seller was on bikeradar.

My advice: know what you want. Look for a bargain, stay abreast of the going rate at different sources to make sure you don't over-pay, be ready to strike quick when you find it, don't fanny around with ebay.

Is that the 2010 model?
    Sirrus Comp 2010 (commuting)
    Roubaix Pro SL Sram red (Weekend sportives)
    Certini Campagnolo Mirage (Turbo trainer)