Mud, Sweat and Gears

Paulkingk
Paulkingk Posts: 689
edited April 2011 in XC and Enduro
Hi guys was looking at this race series but I have never raced before and would appreciate some advice on things. What gear do people ride in also Camelbacks or Bottles do you use energy gels and stuff i just don't have a clue. was thinking about doing the 2hr race. Really any tips and advice no matter how stupid you think it may be i will appreciate it. Thanks

Comments

• Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    To answer your questions:

Gear: you'll see people riding in baggy shorts, tee shirts and trainers, others in lycra and race shoes. The only thing everybody wears is a crash helmet.

Drinks: some people use a Camelbak, others use a bottle. Again it doesn't matter but most people will have something.

Food: if it makes you feel happier keep something in your pocket, you can always stop and eat it. If you've eaten before the race you shouldn't need anything. The 2 hour rides start at 1pm, so breakfast and bring a sandwich to eat before the race.

Other advice: The first race is this coming Sunday, I think you have until Wednesday to enter so don't hang about.

Make sure you're happy with the bike before the weekend, that leaves you Saturday to buy and fit any last minute spares.

Get your kit ready on Saturday, helmet, shoes and whatever you're wearing. Bring a spare set of clothes to get changed in to afterwards. Bring your sandwich and a spare bottle for before/after. On Sunday morning you can have a leisurely breakfast knowing that the only thing thing you need to do is turn up.

Get to the event early, you'll need to pick up your race number and attach it to the bike. Having a ride round the course is nice but don't get in the way of the kids event. They'll be doing a shorter course before the 2 hour but will be using the same start/finish area.

Can't think of anything else. If you need anything on the day look for a couple in Bishops Stortford jerseys, that'll be me and my wife.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Clothing, wear something comfortable, no matter how ridiculous you think you look, there will be someone in full white lycra and bright luminous shoes. But basically make sure it's comfortable, isn't too baggy (baggy shorts are fine) and won't absorb your sweat.

For two hours unless you have someone to feed you, I'd go for the camelback.

Stick a couple of gels in your pocket they make a difference.

As Pirahana said get everything ready on Saturday, and make sure you arrive a good hour at least before your race starts.

The hour race is more 'new guy' friendly, however if you fancy the challenge/ want to get more for your money, the 2 hour race is for you.

And most importantly have fun!

Also look in the 'racing' section, there's a thread going that has a fair bit of information in it.
  • Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    Brilliant guys, thanks very much. unfortunately i fractured my elbow so don't think i'll make the first race. hope i can come along for the Thetford race. That is a couple of the best replies I've had on any forum :lol: . Really answered all my questions and put my mind at rest.
    Thanks again.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Have a speedy recovery, and don't get back into it too quickly!