Cervelo R3 (Now Finished)

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
edited August 2011 in Your road bikes
As my new summer bike project is nearly complete I thought it was about time I got round to posting a topic on it.

It's close to finishing, just need to buy the groupset which will be new Sram Force, which if all goes to plan I should be buying next week.

[img][/img]5564255275_218088e545.jpg
IMAG0068 by rozzer32, on Flickr

[img][/img]5564256211_5e9bfb47bf.jpg
IMAG0069 by rozzer32, on Flickr

Frame: Cervelo R3 (56)
Forks: 3T Funda Pro
Bars: 3T Ergosum Team
Stem: 3T ARX Team
Headset: FSA Orbit
Bar Tape: 3T Team

Front Brake Lever: Sram Force
Front Caliper: Sram Force
Rear Brake Lever: Sram Force
Rear Caliper: Sram Force

Shifters: Sram Force
Front Mech: Sram Force
Rear Mech: Sram Force

Seat: Fizik Arione (Kium Rails)
Seat Post: 3T Dorico Team

Cranks: Sram Force
Chainring(s): Still deciding between 53/39 or 50/34
Chain: Sram Force
Cassette: Sram Force/Rival
Pedals: Speedplay Zero
Bottom Bracket: Sram Force GXP

Front Wheel: Planet X Model B
Tube: Vittoria
Tire: Vittoria Open Corsa Evo

Back Wheel: Will be my Powertap
Tube: Vittoria
Tire: Vittoria Open Corsa Evo

Accessories: Garmin Edge 500

Weight: I don't think it is going to be a heavy weight :wink:

Going for a bike fit in April at Cadence Sport to nail my position on it.

Can't wait to get it finished and get lots of miles in over the summer, which I'm hoping will be a sunny one 8)
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Not much more to do then?
  • rozzer32
    Berk Bonebonce

No just need to purchase the groupset, already bought the pedals, tyres, bar tape etc.

Then just need to build it up. But no doubt there will be a last min dash to the LBS because I have missed something stupidly obvious.
  • marlin151
    marlin151 Posts: 52
    Rozzer - I have a 2010 R3 with Force / 3T bits and DA7850CL wheels. 7kg all up.

You won't be disappointed. The R3 is an amazing pro level bike with a great racing pedigree.

I went with 50/34 as I do a lot of hilly sportives.

I regularly swap cassettes to fine tune the gearing (11-28 for the Peak district / mountains and 12-25 for general training). But if you're a strong rider 53/39 will roll along very nicely on the super stiff frame.

Best of luck and enjoy!!
  • rozzer32
    Marlin151

Yea I can't wait to get out on it. Mine will probably come in a bit more than that. Your wheels are pretty light and I will be running a powertap.

I think I will end up going for a 50/34. I will use this bike for sunday club runs, races, sportives so it's going to be doing a lot of stuff. Like you I will probably get an 11-28 for sportives and general rides then something like an 11-23 or 11-25 for racing. The only thing putting me off the compact is that I have one on my winter bike and I hate the fact as you change on the front you have to change a fair bit on the rear as well. That's why I'm tempted my the 53/39
  • marlin151
    marlin151 Posts: 52
    Rozzer - SRAM Force can be fully cross chained in the big ring (unlike DA on my other bike).

So you can leave it in the big ring and ride down to a 23T / 25T.

I find this fine for powering over rollers and often don't bother to drop down to the 34. The stiff frame helps. This technique really helps to keep momentum flowing when others are busily changing the front down / up.

As I approach a longer, steeper climb, I first drop a couple of cogs on the rear and then flick down to the small front ring. Legs are then spinning nicely to tackle the climb.

Another thing with the R3. You'll almost certainly be able to spin a cog or two less than your winter bike on the climbs as the power transfer is extraordinary.
  • rozzer32
    Marlin151

I run a 34/25 as the lowest gear on the winter bike. I don't grind on the pedals when climbing and I have never had to get off and walk but my cadence does drop a fair bit and I am the type of rider that likes to spin.

A 39/28 is a tad of a harder gearing but I'm not sure how much the stiffer frame would help. I'm thinking the 50/34 would be a bit more versatile as it has 110 BCD so I could always put 52/36 rings on if I wanted to.
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    The R3 is an amazing bike. Climbs well, comfortable and doesn't descend as badly as some would make out.

I bought a 2010 R3 and liked it that much I bought a well used 2009 frameset that I built as a winter bike. I couldn't imagine riding anything else to be honest.

Good luck with the build!
  • FWIW - all the radioshack team are on compacts this year apparently (according to one of thier mechanics)

I've swapped all my chainsets (apart from TT bike) over to compacts as it allows me to run 38/50 for general riding and then 34/36-50 for Alpine sprtives.

On my winter bike I run 36/48 11-25.

Well I am 50 this year.................and a gold medal winning Marmotter !
  • rozzer32
    Picked up a brand new Force groupset from the classifieds. I do love Bikeradar sometimes!

Chainrings are 53/39 so I'm going to see how I get on with them. If I need to get a compact then so be it.

Go and pick it up next Friday so should be built next weekend :D
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Marlin151 wrote:
    Rozzer - SRAM Force can be fully cross chained in the big ring (unlike DA on my other bike).

Can it?
    Cross chaining is bad on any set up isn't it?!
  • spanielsson
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Chainrings are 53/39 so I'm going to see how I get on with them. If I need to get a compact then so be it.

It's not as much of a jump as you would think. In my opinion, using a compact can hold you back from getting stronger......
  • spanielsson
    rozzer32 wrote:

It's not as much of a jump as you would think. In my opinion, using a compact can hold you back from getting stronger......
  • . In my opinion, using a compact can hold you back from getting stronger......

What a load of b*llocks.................

[/quote]
  • spanielsson

What a load of b*llocks.................
    [/quote]

I did say in my opinion. Ditching a compact was the best change I made in years.
  • rozzer32
    Woah guys, no handbags on my thread please :wink:

I have always had compacts before. So it will be interesting to see if there is much difference. As I said if I need a compact then so be it, will just sell the 53/39 chainset and buy a compact. Simples!
  • rozzer32
    Now finally finished today. Just a quick picture. Will take more and show them later on.

Rides like a dream, I have turned into a 7 year old at Christmas. The Mrs just doesn't understand.

5603470328_fcaf7444a2.jpg
    IMAG0086 by rozzer32, on Flickr
  • I agree - I picked up my R3 on Thursday and it is worth every penny. It weighs 6kgs - size 51cm, full Dura-ace and Mavic Kyseriums SL's. It's an awesome bike - climbs, descends well. I also splashed out on a Garmin 500 - great bit of kit!

Enjoy..... I know I will....!

PS: I have a compact chainset on - but I am a girlie! :wink:

Helen
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Nice build and looks lovely, another aliante fan I see.
  • rozzer32
    gwillis

Cheers. Well I was going to stick with the Arione but for the brief time I tried it I didn't really get on with it. So sold that and found the Aliante on Ebay and so far so good
    :)
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Looks interesting, but good overall colour coordination.
    - Are you happy with the saddle tilt-down?
    - Nice high stem, do you have back issues?
    - Nice long cable housing for the rear derailleur, SRAM just demands this, no reason to it but you defo cannot cut the housing the same length as you can with Shimano. The zero-loss internals have no slop in them.
    - Is that a custom red decal on the ST just below the collar? It's killin the look man, ditch it!

If I can sort out a blinking camera I'll put my 56 R3 on here as well.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • rozzer32
    FransJacques

Was just a quick picture when I had finished putting it together, had a play with the saddle to get it into roughy the right position.

If you read my first post then you would understand the high stem. I am going for a bike fit at cadence sport next Saturday, so will have it cut once my position is sorted on the bike. Much easier to have it high then cut it down after the fit then cut it down and find out I need the stem higher.

Yes it is a red Sram sticker, it covers up the "CSC" logo on the frame which I think makes it look less dated.
  • Rozzer32, lovely build. I have a couple of Ridley's (love 'em) and also a Cervelo Soloist Team. Most of what they say about Cervelos is true!
  • itisaboutthebike
    itisaboutthebike Posts: 1,120
    Waht size is it ?

Is there any toe overlap with the front wheel ?
  • dileno
    dileno Posts: 46
    Where did you get the frame and fork? Looks better than the standard black/red R3 2011 frame.. Nice build!
    Cervélo R3 -09
    Dura-Ace 7800, swe GoVest Tyr C3.8 carbon wheels
  • rozzer32
    It's a 56 frame. Yes there is toe overlap but it has never been an issue.

Picked up the frame and forks off here actually. I prefer this paint scheme to the current one.

I need to get final pics up. Will try to do it before the weekend :)
  • dileno
    dileno Posts: 46
    From what year is that frame? :-)
    Cervélo R3 -09
    Dura-Ace 7800, swe GoVest Tyr C3.8 carbon wheels
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Scrumple wrote:
    Marlin151 wrote:

Can it?
    Cross chaining is bad on any set up isn't it?!
    I'm sory a bad chain line (i.e. a big big combo) is bad for any set up in that it wears your chain faster and adds a lot of friction. Also, if you're going downhill and pedal, the chain can skip down a cog or fall off the big ring onto the small ring. Happens on MTB and road bike. I've not read anything that makes SRAM less impervious to bad chainlines than Campy or Shimano or Microshift or anyone else.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • rozzer32
    Here is the picture of the final build.

Now run with new RS80 wheels. Also now have Fizik bar tape.

5894120630_b92f539e15.jpg
    IMAG0132 by rozzer32, on Flickr
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    its going to look drooling mate , i saw a £6,000 cervello in the LBS the other day TT/TRI , the guy said he was not happy with the 80mm wheels , and had just lashed out £1700 on another set , another world to me .

anyway , that thing is gonna look damn pretty.

cheers
    Britannia waives the rules
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Some red and/or white tyres would round that off a treat ... The saddle looks the business as does the white tape but it looks a bit too black heavy from tne ground up for my taste ...

Also gonna suggest red cable outers ... But that would cost time and effort on re-cabling ...

Btw ... I'm not trying to dis' your build ... It looks fab ... I esp. Liked youridea on getting rid of the csc logo ...simple and very effective ... I guess i'm just imagining how i would do it ... Which in it's own way is the biggest compliment you can get ...