any Rides in and around leamington spa

moshelle
moshelle Posts: 5
edited April 2011 in Routes
Fairly new to the mtb thing, just wanted to know if there are any decent rides in and around the leamington spa area

Shel
anyone know the nutritional value of a fly??

Comments

• yer, there is lods of rides arround Leam, southam, etc. what sort of places and distance you looking to do...? Danny
    Hi all, new to the forum, I live in Stockton (Warwickshire) and even though I have a few riding buddies I am always looking for other people to go out riding with or even talking " nuts & bolts" guys or girls!!!...
  • I'm a complete newbie, riding again after a 20 year rest from cycling. :D

I live in Ryton and have done the councils 'MTB route' from Ryton Pools a few times which has a mix of bridleways, quiet roads and a few muddy paths taking in Wappenbury, Eathorpe, Hunningham, Marton, Frankton, Bourton and Stretton. Approx 16 miles plus a couple from my front door to the Pools and back. I also had a go at the disused railway from Hunningham Hill, Offchurch Greenway to the viaduct at the Grand Union. Along the canal towpath towards Long Itch then back up the disused railway to Hunningham.
    There is a part of the disused railway that has been dug up by motorbikes and is very muddy in places. My first time through there I got thrown off and a face full of mud as a reward!
    I 'm working on getting a bit fitter and then i'll be investing in a rack for the car so I can go further afield. Cannock FTD is on my list of rides 'to do'
    Custom FS built around a Mongoose Otero frame
    CUBE Ltd Race
  • Welcome Moshelle, There's a good network of towpaths around this area and as Nigel_Ash mentioned the disused railway is great fun although extremely muddy!

Had good fun riding up & down the ditch in the wood next to the Diners cafe in Long Itch this morning too.
  • NIGEL_ASH wrote:
    I'm a complete newbie, riding again after a 20 year rest from cycling. :D

Cannock FTD is on my list of rides 'to do'

Have you done it yet??
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • MrsMoo
    MrsMoo Posts: 22
    Hi Shel
    Kept meaning to send you a message on More Dirt, we ought to hook up sometime and go for a ride. Haven't really discovered a lot of trails yet round Warwick/L'spa, though me and Phil have been along a few bridleways towards Kenilworth/Honiley that seemed ok, and I've found some on an OS map going towards Kineton way that I want to try out sometime. I've been along the disused railway near Long Itchington, though between me & phil we got about 6 punctures in an hour, so i think its best avoided until all the brambles etc have died back a bit!!
    Emily
  • Lowride
    Lowride Posts: 214
    I would recommend a look at Route 41 for all you Warwickshire riders. It`s part of the national cycle network and can be picked up in various places..

I think it starts in the Stratford upon Avon area and goes all the way thru Warwick, onto the canal, past the Ford Foundry in Leamington and thru Radford Semelle all the way to Rugby, abour 40 miles in all...

Me and a friend joined it opposite the Ford Foundry in Leamington and rode about 7 miles towards Rugby but it got too late so we turned round..

I think if you Google 'sustrans' you should be able to find it...

Nigel, I grew up in Ryton and moved to Leam 18mths ago, I still come back to ride the local woods. Ryton woods are really good, I`ve been told off loads of times for riding in there but hey, rules are there to be broken
    hi i live in warwick there is some good rides around here
    the best thing is a os map there the centurion way which you can get onto by the saxon mill in warwick then if you have a map you can just follow it for miles there is some good stuff alone the trail if you can find it
  • If you're not worried about getting muddy and a few nettle stings, you can cycle the old railway line all the way from Leamington to Rugby. There's also a branch line that goes to Long Itchington.
    Some parts of each are owned by Sustrans.

There's also a really nice track that goes from Hunningham to Ufton.

Youshould be able to work them out from a detailed OS map.
  • Hello All,

I have recently just moved to Leamington Spa from the North East. Got my bike in Leamington but unfortunately its sat collecting dust at the moment as unsure of any cycle routes around the area. The one route I have been on recently was from Leamington up to Hatton Locks simply using the canal tow path.

Looking for new routes and curious how I can get onto the disused railway line which people have mentioned. If any one fancies a cycle buddy too to show me some routes that would be cool!

Cheers

Jonny
  • Jonny,
    Try the Sustrans web site and look for Route 41.You'll probably need the OS map as well. It's a mixture of tracks, railway line and goes round the edge of Draycote Water. Sustrans own all the railway line between Leamington and Rugby and down to Long Itchington. Apart from one bit it's all passable with care.

pete
  • davman
    davman Posts: 31
    Moshelle

There is also a bridleway that you can connect to which goes from Southam (starting opposite Welsh Road East) to Daventry, via Flecknoe. It brings you out near the A45 going to Braunston from Daventry (Royal Oak Ind Estate). You can also join the Jurassic Trail from there or cut back towards Rugby and re-join Route 41 back to Leamington

There are also a number of bridleways that lead from Napton-on-the-Hill towards Priors Marston. If you then go up hill towards Hellidon, there is a bridleway that leads around the back of Hellidon Lakes Golf Club back towards Lower Shuckburgh. Unfortunately, these will include some road riding, but they are generally quiet.

Simon