Garmin 705 on LEJOG

pdstsp
pdstsp Posts: 1,264
edited April 2011 in Tour & expedition
Morning

Just got permission to have a go at this challenge from 25 May (so a bit of additional training needed).

I am going to plan out our route for LEJOG on Bike Route Toaster and then download it to the 705, but wondered if I should plan the whole thing as one course, or would it be better to split it up into planned days. I am a little worried that turning the unit off and on each night, and also the effect of detours to find digs, may cause the unit to throw a wobbler.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Paul

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    I'd split it down.

If theres a glitch in your route data and your garmin doesn't work properly you'll only have to worry about 1 days routefinding. If you had the whole thing as 1 route you'd be stuffed

Also if you need to you can find somewhere to log on to your route account to edit route info or re download sections if you need to.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Thanks Brakeless - yeah I think I'm heading down this route so nice to have it confirmed. Looks like a breezy training ride this afternoon and then a glass of red and an evening plotting (and trying to not think how hard it'll be)

Paul
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    pdstsp wrote:
    ould plan the whole thing as one course, or would it be better to split it up into planned days. I am a little worried that turning the unit off and on each night, and also the effect of detours to find digs, may cause the unit to throw a wobbler.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Paul

If you use the 'routing' facility on the GPS then if you make a detour it will (or at least assuming it works the same way as an eTrex) as you if you want it to recalculate the route - you have the option of saying 'no' but it's still irritating.

Personally I'd avoid using 'routes' as the unit recalculates your carefully-planned route which can throw a spanner in the works.

You can use tracks - I don't know what the storage capacity of the 705 is, but on an eTrex you can store 20 tracks. Alternatively you could simply put in waypoint markers at important junctions - again I don't know what the specs are for a 705, but on an eTrex you have up to 500 of these. Tracks remain unchanged whether you make a detour or not.