700c disc wheels

oodboo
oodboo Posts: 2,171
edited April 2011 in The workshop
Just snapped a spoke on the way home. I'm going to get this one fixed and see if I can get a couple of spare spokes as one tends to lead to another for me until I replace the wheel. So with a view to replacing the wheel in the not too distant future does anyone know of any good, strong 700c wheels that take disc brakes?

Would a custom build be a better idea? If so what's a good strong rim for a 16 stone rider loaded up with about a 15kg backpack?

I'm pretty new to this skinny tyred world as all previous bikes have been 26" wheeled mtbs so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava

Comments

• marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    Hello mate i run 700c on my alfine bike disced up im on open pro rims im about your weight + a bit im lucky that my best mate is harry rowland the wheel biulder , i did end to end with fully loaded bike on a pair of his open pros a few years back. & coz its disc they wont wear :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For tough '700c' disc wheels, just get 29er MTB wheels with narrow enough rims for the tyre siz you intend to use.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    If you're popping spokes probably best to buy a spoke key and learn about tension.

+1 for Open Pros, take a lot of punishment and are a joy to build (double eyelets)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    See my previous thread about maintenance:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12766737

My enduro gets all my tlc.

I just want something to fit and forget
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    What is the rim and tyre width, spoke count and lacing pattern on these wheels? Three things that can help are, in no particular order, increased spoke count (if less than 36 and especially if less than 32), more traditional lacing pattern (if they are not at the moment), and to have your wheels built by a renowned wheel builder.

The first two will increase wheel weight a bit, but that is the penalty for being a Clydesdale :wink:

Rigida rims are generally accepted as good strong rims for reasonable money, choose exact model according to tyre width and usage, and the wheel builder at Spa cycles has a very good rep. You will have to ask for a quote as they only quote for more traditional hubs on their website, but should think it will be no problem to them. If your wheels have a reasonable spoke count then you may save money by reusing the hubs, assuming they are in good condition.
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    I've just bought these

Can't turn your nose up at them at all, £160 for the pair and very well built
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    nigglenoo wrote:
    What is the rim and tyre width, spoke count and lacing pattern on these wheels? Three things that can help are, in no particular order, increased spoke count (if less than 36 and especially if less than 32), more traditional lacing pattern (if they are not at the moment), and to have your wheels built by a renowned wheel builder.

The first two will increase wheel weight a bit, but that is the penalty for being a Clydesdale :wink:

Rigida rims are generally accepted as good strong rims for reasonable money, choose exact model according to tyre width and usage, and the wheel builder at Spa cycles has a very good rep. You will have to ask for a quote as they only quote for more traditional hubs on their website, but should think it will be no problem to them. If your wheels have a reasonable spoke count then you may save money by reusing the hubs, assuming they are in good condition.

Just looked, that also is a great deal! bookmarked that for future use cheers :D
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Its worth getting the wheel trued and spokes retensioned (£15 or so) or learning to.do it yourself. Once one goes its usually a precursor to others pinging through the uneven tension that has caused the first failure, simply replacing and correctly tensioning one is adding to the uneven load around the rim.
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    These

135mm spacing, 700c rims, disc compatible, and they even come with some convenient rubber rim protectors! A bargain.