A little knowledge could be a dangerous thing..............

San Marzano
San Marzano Posts: 132
edited April 2011 in Workshop
I have recently taken my back wheel in for repairs.

I have put on a spare wheel with similar 9 speed cassette.

For some reason the chain will only sit on cogs 5-9, assuming 1 is the biggest sprocket and 9 is the smallest! The deraillieur takes it up to 1 but as soon as pressure is applied it slips down and will stay in 5 or lower.

This makes cycling uphill pretty difficult to say the least

Is this a limit screw or a barrel adjuster issue? (or neither)

Hope that all makes sense and thanks in advance for any replies.

Jon

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    No idea at all but I would just leave it all alone until you put your original wheel back on.

This way a) you won't have to mess with your mech when you put the original wheel back on and b ) you'll be as hard as nails from climbing up hills in the higher gears.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    if it isn't simply that that the rear mech needs adjusting - try turning the barrel adjuster on it about one turn anti-clockwise, see if it makes a difference

otherwise is the chain worn? if it is then it'll tend to slip on a less worn cassette

this tells you how to measure the chain for wear, scroll down to towards the end of the page...

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#wear
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Chain has worn with the old casseete and doesn't sit on the different sprockets.

Change the chain and all will be fine.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    Does it run on the biggest sprockets but just not want to stay on the selected one even under no load, eg wheel off the ground ? For it to slip from biggest all the way down to 5th biggest is a fair jump and the mech adjustment would need to be way out for that to be the problem I'd think ?
  • San Marzano
    San Marzano Posts: 132
    Andy, no, with the wheel off the ground it sits fine on the sprockets, it seems the more pressure you put on the pedals (steep hill) the more it tries to jump down.

Hope that makes sense
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    Sounds like chain/cassette wear that is incompatible.
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    note to self go out on bike in the spring
    going downhill slowly
  • redrobbo
    redrobbo Posts: 727
    I have recently taken my back wheel in for repairs.

I have put on a spare wheel with similar 9 speed cassette.

For some reason the chain will only sit on cogs 5-9, assuming 1 is the biggest sprocket and 9 is the smallest!
    Jon

How 'similar' is 'similar'?