Fork upgrade on 2010 Rockhopper SL

skintosh
skintosh Posts: 28
edited April 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

At the new year I got a Rockhopper SL (2010) and have been very happy with it.

I got some lovely Sunn Singletrack rims on Deore hubs for off road and got some skinny Shwalbe City Jet tires for the 12 mile commute and put them on the standard wheels.

I have been really happy with almost everything on the bike apart from the forks.

At the point of sale ( I got it almost half price) i realized that I may need to upgrade them at some point, but they are so flexy (28mm stantions) and the travel is not plush at all.

This has led me to look at upgrading so have been looking at various forks. I am wondering if anyone has upgraded their rockhoppers in this department and what you got, and how happy you have been?

Also, I believe the Dart 3's which I have are 80mm travel, whats the max recommended? I think 100 mm will be best for my type of riding (trail centres, xc, commute) and lock out is needed !

I have the 17 inch frame by the way...

Thanks in a advance peeps...

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I think max recommended for a rockhopper is 110mm, although not 100% on that, I've ridden one with 100mm forks (which will easily be covered by the warranty) and it worked well, as did the forks, think they were rebas.

What sort of budget have you got for the forks?
  • skintosh
    looking at about 150 budget really, want something air sprung to keep the weight down too...

Had a go on my mates Cube Stereo which had Rebas on it and they felt lovely and had u-turn which was an added bonus...
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    You might be able to pick some rebas up for that price on ebay or in the classifieds. If not I'd look at something like a coil recon or tora.

Rebas will start new at around £250, Recons and Toras can be had from around £120 upwards. Check out on-one and merlin to see what they have.
  • skintosh
    Thanks for the ideas mate

Anyone upgraded their forks and care to share their view?
  • davildo
    davildo Posts: 162
    I've also got a 2010 Hopper SL.

I absolutely love it and it has re-ignited my love for riding after too many years!!
    However, I did find the clunky Dart rather cumbersome so got rid of it sharpish.
    I replaced it with a Reba Team, which is the absolute canine's kahunas.

It completely changed the feel of the bike. It was about 300 from Merlin. I know that is above your budget but there are different spec Rebas and Merlin is a good place to keep your eye out for a bargain.

Cheers.
  • davildo
    davildo Posts: 162
    Forgot to mention, the bike geometry means you shouldn't go over 100mm travel.
  • skintosh
    Thanks for your help mate
  • spannaz
    spannaz Posts: 4
    i agree on the Rebas. I had a Rocky and fitted some Reba Race and they were great. 100mm travel and felt really plush, not cheap but could get some decent used ones
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Specialized have said the bike is warrantied for 120mm fork max (some older hoppers are 110mm though).

This is a good fork:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox ... 66946.html

You can even upgrade the internals to air and motion control.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'll be selling some Rebas soon, 2010 Reba Race, Dual Air, remote lock-out.

They're still on the bike at the moment, well half a bike, wheels and brakes have gone.

PM me if you interested and I can email you photos.

Was hoping for closer to £200, but you can make me a offer.
  • I asked Spesh this and they said 120mm is ok.
    Not upgraded myself ... yet
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If you go for rebas (not SL) then you have the option of 100/120. Personally I think this bike is better with a 100mm fork.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Just bought some unused Reba race for £150 off these here forums yesterday.

Going up to Whinlatter tomorrow so will let you know how I get on with them.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • ^^ good price i guess they r disc only..?
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • skintosh
    mac man wrote:

Cheers for the advice everyone !

yes mac man, would be greatful for your findings.

I have found a few pairs of Fox Floats, but with 120mm travel.

If I run them at a lower pressure will it give me more sag - hence less effective travel? Will this work?

Also they show they have a tapered streerer, does this mean they wont work with my 1 1/8 headtube?

Sorry for the n00b questions !
  • mac_man
    120mm will be fine. Maybe a touch wandery on climbs.

Before I got these Rebas I had some old Toras which I'd replaced the Dart 3s with. These were 85-130 Uturn forks and I always had them running at 130mm. And with no real issues either.

As for tapered into 1/8.... just had a google and it does seem to be possible, but you'll need a new Headset.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

• skintosh
    Google is my friend- doh!

What year rebas did you get btw?
  • mac_man
    I believe they are 09/10 Reba race. Black lowers with gold(ish) stanchions. And post mount. They were original fit on a Stumpjumper hardtail

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    supersonic wrote:
    Specialized have said the bike is warrantied for 120mm fork max (some older hoppers are 110mm though).

This is a good fork:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox ... 66946.html

You can even upgrade the internals to air and motion control.

How much would such an upgrade cost? and would that drop any weight from the fork?
  • jairaj
    mac man wrote:
    As for tapered into 1/8.... just had a google and it does seem to be possible, but you'll need a new Headset.

hmm are you sure on this? I thought this was only possible on some headtubes with zero stack headsets with a new cane creek headset that they are not released yet? Does the Rockhopper have a zero stack headset or is it standard?
  • mac_man
    jairaj wrote:
    mac man wrote:

hmm are you sure on this? I thought this was only possible on some headtubes with zero stack headsets with a new cane creek headset that they are not released yet? Does the Rockhopper have a zero stack headset or is it standard?

TBH... no idea. I just found an article on another site that appeared to suggest it was possible.

If it were me I'd stick with standard 1/8 forks to fit the frame.

• jairaj
    mac man wrote:
    TBH... no idea. I just found an article on another site that appeared to suggest it was possible.

Can you post a link please? I'd be interested in having a read.
  • mac_man
    jairaj wrote:
    mac man wrote:

Can you post a link please? I'd be interested in having a read.

Here y'go. Heresy I know, to be linking to the enemy.... it may even get blocked ;-)

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... -head-tube

• jairaj
    Cheers. If you read the thread it pretty much says what I did. I don't think a tapered fork will fit in a Rockhopper.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    I had a rockhopper sl expert with Recon SL coil. Rode with them at CYB, Surrey Hills etc. Recon SL coil forks are really good and plush only if spring suits your weight. Hopper did cope very well with these forks on reds and blacks at CYB at XC mincing speed.

My wife's got Hardrock Sport, which is exactly the same frame geometry but frame itself made from different material.

I've sold rockhopper to replace it with FS, and upgraded wife's hardrock. Treated it from old forks to Reba SL 100mm. Wife's bike (donkey) serves me well when FS isn't available due to repairs etc.

Now, those basic Reba SL are much better than Recons SL coil, due to availability of settings via adjustable air pressure (they are dual air) and cope really well on jumps, drops (you would need to adjust compression on fork lowers for slower speed) while if most of my riding contains just normal trails then set it to higher speed and forks cope really well on multiple roots, stones. So overall, they perform nearly the same like my 140floats on FS but obviously they bottom out on harder hits sooner whilst I get excited.

Reba SL have got dual air and a lockout, while basic air Recon SL don't. My riding buddie doesnt miss lockout anyway, and I never use that too.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • ew77
    ew77 Posts: 57
    I've recently thrown on a set of Fox F120's onto my 2008 Rockhopper to replace the Tora's that were on there, and have not found any issues with the extra travel. As previously suggested, fairly steep climbs may find them wandering a little, but nothing I've really noticed or been troubled by.
  • mac_man
    Skintosh wrote:
    mac man wrote:

Cheers for the advice everyone !

yes mac man, would be greatful for your findings.

I have found a few pairs of Fox Floats, but with 120mm travel.

If I run them at a lower pressure will it give me more sag - hence less effective travel? Will this work?

Also they show they have a tapered streerer, does this mean they wont work with my 1 1/8 headtube?

Sorry for the n00b questions !

All I can say about them now is... they are ace. Really comfy...less stress through my wrists and arms.

Did find that the bike was more wandery, even though they are 100mm forks, which I put down to the fact they are so much lighter than the Tora u-turns i had on previously.

Am really loving the bike now.