Rivington Pike

tightbarsteward
tightbarsteward Posts: 123
edited April 2011 in Routes
Thinking of doing this route next weekend:

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=jwz ... =trackList

Anyone any advice? Clockwise or anticlockwise for example? Or is there a better alternative route?

Comments

• kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    From what I can tell that looks like a mostly road route?

Is that what you were aiming for?

It doesn't appear to actually take you to the top of the Pike.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • The-beast
    The-beast Posts: 140
    watch out for the areas on fire, ive been there last two days putting out moor fires , ten pump emergency
  • kaytronika wrote:
    From what I can tell that looks like a mostly road route?

Is that what you were aiming for?

It doesn't appear to actually take you to the top of the Pike.

No want off road route. For some reason I saw it on gpsies and just assumed it was off road. Looking closer it looks all on road. Sod that!

Maybe ill try this:
    http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/rr053.html
  • I'm positive I've done that route on the road bike and it's definitely all road. It doesn't even take you upto the Pike which is the whole point of getting up there on the MTB so you get a bit of the rough stuff(ish).

If you look just to the right of the start point you have woods then open land with squigly paths on it. The Pike is there. It has a bit of a rock garden and I've seen plenty of guys in DH gear near there though only been a couple of times so still need to go and have a good look round.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • kaytronika
    I've been to Rivington loads and it's generally about linking together sections to put a bigger ride together.

Like these chaps have done... Takes in Healey Nab too. (although there are still a few large road segments)

http://mtb-routes.mountainstuff.org/?p=46

Personally, I wouldn't use their methods to get up and down the Pike, but they are perfectly valid routes if I remember rightly... Just a bit steep for me :lol:

Also it's worth possibly linking in Winter Hill and the area around the bottom of the reservoir where the faux-castle is.

For the record, this is the Pike
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 5&t=h&z=17

and there are many ways to get up there, most of them offering an enjoyable climb/downhill...

A couple of Rivi pointers:
    Sundays are really busy, Saturdays less so but you're still likely to meet a lot of other trail users. If you can't avoid going on Sunday make sure you head up to the higher barn where hundreds of motorcycles gather. Worth a look round if you like that sort of thing.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    Good thing about Rivi is there are shed loads of tracks leading off in all different directions, and you can pick and choose which way to go.

Winter Hill and San Marino descent is great, but very cheeky, and you need to find a way back over to Rivi.

Did this route on Friday..

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/75043742

Started and finished at the Lower Barn, went up to the Pike via the gardens (probably the best way up), then over Winter Hill, down San Marino and back up via the road and Belmont Road (big cobbled 'road'). Back to the Pike again, then down through Wilderswood (nice fast singletrack with some rocky bits). Then up the hill one last time and down the Rocky Road/Ice Cream Run. Over to the castle and along the banks of the reservoir through the trees and back to the barn. 17miles and 2100ft.

You can add or take out bits as you like, do a lap of Anglezarke, or the trails at Healey Nab, or go over to Darwen Tower and Tockholes.

Weekends are indeed very busy, and yes, a large chunk has been on fire this weekend :D
  • kaytronika
    That looks like a good route. I might give that a whirl myself at some point.

If I recall correctly, there's a point on Belmont Rd where, if it's been raining and there's standing water, it looks like the water flows uphill.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Cheers for the replys. If Sundays are very busy I might have a rethink. Im dropping my mrs off in preston to see her mate so thought I would go and check out some of the local trails. Is there any other good trails round this area?
  • RichardKS
    RichardKS Posts: 18
    Tockholes / Darwen Tower?

Gisburn is close 'ish if 'er indoors is visiting her mate for a few hours and if she's close to the M6... From J31 it's a blast up the A59.
  • kaytronika
    You'll meet the majority of people on the main walking routes on the Pike, there's a bridleway that zig zags up there that sees a lot of use.

It's not summer yet, so the madding throngs won't have arrived to really pack the place out.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Does look a good route that, keep saying to myself i'm going to give rivy a try... Should do, can see it from my office window :)
  • andituk wrote:
    Good thing about Rivi is there are shed loads of tracks leading off in all different directions, and you can pick and choose which way to go.

Winter Hill and San Marino descent is great, but very cheeky, and you need to find a way back over to Rivi.

Started and finished at the Lower Barn, went up to the Pike via the gardens (probably the best way up), then over Winter Hill, down San Marino and back up via the road and Belmont Road (big cobbled 'road'). Back to the Pike again, then down through Wilderswood (nice fast singletrack with some rocky bits). Then up the hill one last time and down the Rocky Road/Ice Cream Run. Over to the castle and along the banks of the reservoir through the trees and back to the barn. 17miles and 2100ft.

You can add or take out bits as you like, do a lap of Anglezarke, or the trails at Healey Nab, or go over to Darwen Tower and Tockholes.

Weekends are indeed very busy, and yes, a large chunk has been on fire this weekend :D

Cheers for that. Ive imported that route to my mobile running Viewranger so I gonna give it a whirl on Sunday.
  • col748
    col748 Posts: 81
    Did the trails at Healey Nab today, they are really good.

Been riding Rivi for years and never knew they were there, thanks for the heads up and location.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Anyone got a gpx of a route that includes healy nab,or can describe how to get there.
  • kaytronika
    This Woolybacks route takes it in...

http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/Routes/Rivington.pdf

When you get to Kays Farm things get a little confusing... It does look like you're heading down their drive, but as you reach the gate there is a left turn on to a bridleway.

Coming back to Rivington on the roads to the east is an utter bugger though... Some nasty road climbs... But I am a fat bloke. ;)

There is a GPX knocking about, but I can't find it right now.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    Is there anywhere to park around Healy nab? It's not the longest ride in the world for me to get too but i really do hate riding on the roads (probably the ride from Leigh - Bradford 44 miles on a mountain bike trying to keep up with road bikes) so would probably drive from point to point :?
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • kaytronika
    I would probably just park at Rivi and ride up the side of Anglezarke reservoir... Not a massive amount of road riding.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • piker
    kaytronika wrote:

When you get to Kays Farm things get a little confusing... It does look like you're heading down their drive, but as you reach the gate there is a left turn on to a bridleway.

Coming back to Rivington on the roads to the east is an utter bugger though... Some nasty road climbs... But I am a fat bloke. ;)

Thanks for that,also looking at linking into it off the canal.
    If i come off the canal at Crosse Hall lane and go over the M61,i come to a farm marked White Ho on the map,can i carry on along the track through the fields.
    I have had a look on google earth and there is a track there but i dont know if it is private.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    andituk wrote:

Hi andituk that route of yours is the exact same route I do most often at Rivi. I am the fat bloke on the orange commencal if you see me give us a wave, I might not wave back I am not being rude I am just trying to save the last bit of oxygen in my lungs.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • kaytronika
    piker wrote:
    kaytronika wrote:

If i come off the canal at Crosse Hall lane and go over the M61,i come to a farm marked White Ho on the map,can i carry on along the track through the fields.
    I have had a look on google earth and there is a track there but i dont know if it is private.

Can't really help there I'm afraid, I always come from Rivington.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • piker
    piker wrote:
    kaytronika wrote:

Had a ride up today and there are signs saying no legal access to mountain bikes,must be issues so i went along back lane and the bridleway from kays farm.
    Will do the woolybacks route next time though.Is it best done clockwise or anti-clockwise?