mr_poll
mr_poll Posts: 1,547
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
A short film which you may enjoy, it is worth the 7 mins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7M6aJmGls&feature=player_embedded#at=412

Comments

• mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    The guy strikes me as being a dick of the highest order. He obviously ran a red light, so just MTFU and pay the fine.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • What's to enjoy? The policeman makes a big error in getting sucked into a barrack room lawyer debate.

That cyclist and his gobsh!te deserved arrest and a night in the cells. W@nker.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Here's a thread you may enjoy, only four pages long: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12767734. ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Just read through the comments on that vid, now everyone is a "student of the law"! I cant believe how many people take his side. This really pee's me off, as now we will get some copy cats running red lights and trying the same tactics if / when stopped. Which means more RLJ'ers, which means more peds and motorists being anti-cyclist. Great, just what the cycling community needs.

Strangley eneough no one seems to ask him directly if he ran the light, or perhaps I missed it.
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    What a prize tit. I wish PC Stout had arrested him.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    JonGinge wrote:
    Here's a thread you may enjoy, only four pages long: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12767734. ;)

Ah sorry for not reading every post - happy to redirect accordingly.

The enjoy was tongue in check - for what its worth I cannot stand RLJ'ers think they give us all a bad name and lead to motorists and Clarksonesque loudmouths perpeptuating the myth we are all reckless idiots.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    BenS999 wrote:
    Just read through the comments on that vid, now everyone is a "student of the law"! I cant believe how many people take his side. This really pee's me off, as now we will get some copy cats running red lights and trying the same tactics if / when stopped. Which means more RLJ'ers, which means more peds and motorists being anti-cyclist. Great, just what the cycling community needs.

Strangley eneough no one seems to ask him directly if he ran the light, or perhaps I missed it.

I think ypu'll find the words 'student of the law' and 'knee jerk antipathy to the Police' mean the same thing.

The cops are a soft target who can't fight back against these sort of things without looking 10x more petty. I wonder if the 'students of the law' would be quite so keen to try the same tack with the scrote they caught stealing their TV and XBox at 3am.
  • What a nob! And I'm not referring to PC Stout!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I found that quite amusing. Not really about RLJ, more about police trying to exceed their powers and being taken to task. The guy filming it is actually pretty nice about the policeman at the end, although I don't see why he felt the need to name him.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    BigMat wrote:
    The guy filming it is actually pretty nice about the policeman at the end, although I don't see why he felt the need to name him.

He's not really, he's making sure to appear superior and condecending, implying that by not taking it further that he's doing the policeman a favour. That he 'forgives' the copper is ludicrious and 'he hears the guy works with kids, is a nice guy blah blah' makes me think plucky hero/student of the law is a complete bell end.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited April 2011
    BigMat wrote:
    I found that quite amusing. Not really about RLJ, more about police trying to exceed their powers and being taken to task. The guy filming it is actually pretty nice about the policeman at the end, although I don't see why he felt the need to name him.

Why do you think he is exceeding his powers?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    yay! Smart @rse sets back cycling rights single handedly, read all about it!!
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Just been reading the Met web site. It confirms that you are not obligied to give your details 'unless you are informed that you are being charged with an offence'. It doesn't say which law this is under. As your details are required to issue a ticket I would think the officer should have arrested the plank for obstructing an officer in the course of his duties.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Flogger
    Flogger Posts: 23
    Bloody hilarious with the 1911 option turned on! :lol:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Greg66 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Why do you think he is exceeding his powers?

Either he was trying to exceed his powers, or he didn't actually know what his powers were. In this case he may have been right to stop the guy, but there are many situations (allegedly) where the police trot out similar lines for less justifiable reasons.
  • PC Stout seems to have been rather diffident about exercising powers that he seemed to know he had. The coplanid reference was (I think) a reference to s24 of PACE: if a PC has reasonable grounds to suspect an offence had been committed, he can make an arrest in a number of circs including the suspect's name not being known or not being verifiable.

He was giving mr gobsh!te an opportunity to provide his name, presumably for the purposes of writing him a ticket. He should have arrested the mouthy fecker.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    That's awful, the guy clearly has no respect for the law, who knows what he might do next. PC Stout should have tasered the idiot.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Greg66 wrote:
    PC Stout seems to have been rather diffident about exercising powers that he seemed to know he had. The coplanid reference was (I think) a reference to s24 of PACE: if a PC has reasonable grounds to suspect an offence had been committed, he can make an arrest in a number of circs including the suspect's name not being known or not being verifiable.

He was giving mr gobsh!te an opportunity to provide his name, presumably for the purposes of writing him a ticket. He should have arrested the mouthy fecker.

yes but also PACE Code A covering stop and account doesn't compel PC Stout to give the minute detail dickhead asked for, but conversely doesnt give him powers to demand a name & DoB nor powers of arrest for refusal to provide them. it depends what PC Stout had in his head when he stopped him.
  • He wasn't asking for his name under stop and search. He wanted it so he could write a ticket for an offence (the RLJ).

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A