Total Wipeout

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Quick question - why is this filmed in Argentina?
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Elf & Safety is a popular reason - to do it in the UK would require a much higher degree of regulation to ensure the safety of the punters.

Add good weather, and that it's also a world wide format that allows the same location to be used for every TV station that shows it with their own contestants.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    AFAIK, it's owned by an Argentine TV company and they just lease it out to other TV companies around the world. Why build your own when you can film an entire series in three weeks in Argentina?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I did think H&S, but surely as it is a UK (or British or United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, {including them Welsh upstarts}) show, then they would have to be compliant to Uk standards.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    And isn't Amanda Byram lovely
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I did think H&S, but surely as it is a UK (or British or United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, {including them Welsh upstarts}) show, then they would have to be compliant to Uk standards.

But only when taking part in the UK surely? I don't believe that a UK person in Argentina has to comply with UK H&S. Although a UK based company may enforce it, there is no legislation. I think :?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • asprilla
    Erm, H&S has nothing to do with it (it's feeling a little Daily Mail in here).

As mentioned, the Argentines built it, the crew are all Argentine and it's run completely by them. Anyone who wants to make a local version just sends their contestants and occasionally a presenter (most nations don't even bother doing that).

It's there becase it's cheap.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • I'm sure that the USA version is done in the USA. It's completely different to the brit one including the surrounding area to it.

I'd go for the H&S option to be the reason.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • asprilla
    I'm sure that the USA version is done in the USA. It's completely different to the brit one including the surrounding area to it.

I'd go for the H&S option to be the reason.

The US show is filmed in the US. Endermol bought the global rights and built two courses in Argentine and everyone else in the world films theirs there. It's cheaper and easier for all concerned.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    H&S gets blamed for all sorts, the actual legal requirements for H&S have nothing to do with what certain newspapers might claim. Think cheese-rolling, school football playing, and conker "ban" stories. They're not because of H&S, they're because of silly fears over litigation.....which some would say is an import from the USA! So maybe America's one is filmed in the USA because of their litigation fears, but if someone went to Argentina and was hurt/killed, the BBC could be sued just the same as if it happened in the UK.

So I think the "the programme started in Argentina, that's where the course is and the climate allows for year round filming" argument makes more sense.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    The US show is harder, and the presenters are better. It's probably because they squeeze it into 42 minutes rather than an hour, but there seems to be a lot less embarrassing shouting and showing off by the contestants.

Jill Wagner is like a hot Amanda Byram, and actually funny.

US version FTW.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    British TV can screen JackAss, how does this conform to health and safety.
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    Takeshi's Castle is the daddy of pain :lol:
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • As far as I know and I'm happy to stand corrected, you have to pay your own way there as a contestant, so isn't it a simple way of screening out anyone who doesn't have £x00 for the flight? Kind of explains the contestant demographic really. They're clearly not chosen for their charm or wit as a rule.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • bails87 wrote:
    H&S gets blamed for all sorts, the actual legal requirements for H&S have nothing to do with what certain newspapers might claim. Think cheese-rolling, school football playing, and conker "ban" stories. They're not because of H&S, they're because of silly fears over litigation.

Not seeing the disconnect there ... don't fears of litigation exist because of a risk of harm, and that in turn is what drives H&S to sanitize activities.

That said, having seen a cheese rolling, I'm amazed no one breaks their bloody necks.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    it's political correctness gone mad
  • georgee wrote:

as none of them are british, and its not made by a british company . hence is not covered under UK law.

as its american I would imagine that its fairly stage managed anyway
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • bails87
    Greg66 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    H&S gets blamed for all sorts, the actual legal requirements for H&S have nothing to do with what certain newspapers might claim. Think cheese-rolling, school football playing, and conker "ban" stories. They're not because of H&S, they're because of silly fears over litigation.

Not seeing the disconnect there ... don't fears of litigation exist because of a risk of harm, and that in turn is what drives H&S to sanitize activities.

That said, having seen a cheese rolling, I'm amazed no one breaks their bloody necks.

Yes, but what does health and safety legislation actually stop you doing? Individual organisations might make stupid decisions and blame it on the catch-all "health and safety", but actual legislation doesn't stop a huge amount. The fact that the Red Bull Flugtag, Cheese Rolling, 'ropeless' rock climbing, etc are all perfectly legal shows that.

See the HSE myth of the month
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    georgee wrote:

Because it's not filmed here. Also, what do you mean by 'conform to health and safety'. What health and safety legislation bans filiming stunt based TV shows?
    MTB/CX

• rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    I thought the cheese rolling was stopped because it was so popular! So many cars and so few places to park in narrow country lanes that the police were worried about emergency access.

The US commentators of TW seem think we are watching something equivalent to people storming the Normandy beaches; all heroism, death-defying feats and overcoming insurmountable odds to survive.

At first I didn't realise it was the same show where UK people get wet, muddy and bounce around on inflatable balls.
  • bails87
    rml380z wrote:
    I thought the cheese rolling was stopped because it was so popular! So many cars and so few places to park in narrow country lanes that the police were worried about emergency access.

That's exactly what it was, the site couldn't cope with the popularity of the event and they were unab;le to find somewhere that was suitable, so it missed a year.

But look how often the lie about a 'health and safety' ban is repeated.
    MTB/CX

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Arguably it was a 'ban' (stopped') due to health and safety, but not the H&S of the actual event, but of the suitability of the venue for any event of that size.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    Except it wasn't a ban.

The organisers realised it would be stupid to run it at that location, so they chose to stop it. So it wasn't a ban. It wasn't even 'arguably' a ban.
    banned, ban·ning, bans
    v.
    1. To prohibit, especially by official decree: The city council banned billboards on most streets.
    n.
    2. A prohibition imposed by law or official decree: a ban on cigarette smoking

It just wasn't.

And it was due to several reasons, certianly not H&S gawnmaaad.
    MTB/CX

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    lardboy wrote:
    The US show is harder, and the presenters are better. It's probably because they squeeze it into 42 minutes rather than an hour, but there seems to be a lot less embarrassing shouting and showing off by the contestants.

Jill Wagner is like a hot Amanda Byram, and actually funny.

US version FTW.

noooooo get to the naughty corner you....the septics take it too bloody seriously. We just treat it like 'It's a knock out' only without Prince Edward making a dick of himself on TV.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    The best thing about Total Wipeout.
    AB.jpg
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Allez Mark wrote:
    The best thing about Total Wipeout.
    AB.jpg

Pointy chin and warts? Burn the witch!
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"