Hope Brake Equivalent for Avid Juicy 5's

Stevo210
Stevo210 Posts: 196
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi there, Im thinking of upgrading my Avid Juicy 5s for some Hope M4 or X2 or a combination and which ever floating disc size would be appropriate.
I want to know what the equivalent in performance would be to match the set up I have at the moment which is quite ample for the type of riding I do.
I do however like to brake hard and brake late.

Current set up is
Front: Avid with 203 Rotor
Rear: Avid with 185 Rotor

Was thinking of maybe a slighter more powerful front with a smaller rotor perhaps?
Just blinding guessing really, hence needing the advice.

Any experiences of using Avids and upgrading would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If what you have now is fine, why do you want to change?
  • Stevo210
    Dont embarrass me by making me admit its just for bling.
    Ok if I had to give a valid reason they scuff constantly, even after been set up by the LBS. Dont think have really run too free from day one :( More bling than substance Im afraid.
  • Anonymous
    If you're annoyed by your rotors catching, then floating rotrs REALY aren't going to help.
    It's a problem of almost all disc brakes, particularly with larger discs.
    But, the less you fiddle with them, the less they'll NEED fiddling with, give them plenty of time to bed in.
  • Stevo210
    Oh dear I did not know that floating rotors would be any worse.

As far as setting up goes, Ive been running the Avids for nearly 2 years and they still scuff a lot. This could be down to cheap discs but thats probably for another thread.

Have you advice on the power performance of the Hopes against the Avids?

cheers
  • Anonymous
    Hope Vs Avid? No, not really. From my experiences (which are in no way encyclopediaic, if that's a word), most brakes, given the same disc size, give similar braking power, for a given finger pressure.

Some of them deal with shedding heat a bit better, so are less prone to boil the fluid etc.

And, erm. I saw a lot of broken Hope brakes in Morzine (But that could be more to do with Hope's popularity among riders of ALL grades in the UK, and a lot of them having the shock of their lives at the first sight of a mountain!)
  • Stevo210
    Thanks for your thoughts. You may be right. Which actually puts my bling argument as a nearly legitimate reason then. haha.

Anyone else with any other thoughts?

Thanks
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Maybe taper bore is what you are looking for as they claim to have greater pad clearance.
  • Anonymous
    Shimano's have a similar idea, don't they?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Formula.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    The wife’s bikes I fitted Shimano SLX brakes and they do look like the clearance is greater than my Avid Juicy 5.

From Bike Radar review:
    The Servo Wave lever cam system increases power at the point of contact but gives more clearance when open.
  • Anonymous
    Servo wave, that's the one.
    'Tis true, the clearance on Juicy 5 is almost non existent with new pads. But I stand by me musings that pretty much all brakes will rub to some degree at some point in their life.
  • I've used avid juicy 5's and do not like them much. Fiddly to set up, pain to fit new pads leaking fluid from the lever reservoir, seized pistons. But apart from that they've been brilliant!

I have hope M4 on my heckler and x2's on my cotic soul. Never had to touch them. They just work perfectly every time.

In answer to your question if you ride steep stuff get M4's if you don't get x2's. You might want to consider your weight. I'm 13 and half stone. If it was me I'd put an m4 on the front and an x2 on the back. 180 rotors. Or 200 rotor on the front and x2's both ends.

Simples.
  • Stevo210
    Thanks for all the comments so far. Helping me narrow it down.

Which Formula set up then Nicklouse?