Bashring advice

beardwithabike
beardwithabike Posts: 195
edited April 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi :]

I currently have this set up;

44/32/22, 4 bolt 104/64mm

I wanna switch to two rings with a bash ring. Is this the best way to go if i wanna continue to ride up hills / travel down them fast?

Not knowing a lot about this i would assume i would have to get two new rings of a diff size and add an outer bash ring?

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most peoplejust replace the outer with a bash, so if you use the 44T wheel a lot that may not suite you (you loose the three top gears), you can go to a 36T middle ring (gaining you 1.5 of those gears back).

If you get an alloy bash it just bolts on in place of the outer ring using the original bolts (usually) a poly bash needs longer bolts (they come with them), many have issues with poly bashes cracking.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the advice.

One other question though. If i switch the middle ring to a 36, do i need an outer bashring of 36t sized too or stick with a 44t sized bashring?

So 22 / 36 / ?bashring
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    36 middle is a good choice and you'd get a bashring to cover that size i.e 36 so long as it isn't smaller.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't need a 44T bash as you'll be removing the 44T wheel, you need a 36 if you replace the 32 with a 36, or a 32 if you leave the 32 and don't intend later to swap the 32 to a 36. I'd get a 36 for future proofing and just leave the 32T in place and see how you get on if I was you, cheap and easy and then you can make further changes later if you need to.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.