I was offered a fight yesterday by a courier

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
This has irked me quite a bit. Happened around 6pm yesterday coming off Elephant and Castle and entering Kennington Park road.

Firstly, on Elephant and Castle the courier rides through a red light and into the flow of traffic coming from his left. He even petulantly flicks his front wheel at a white van man.

I'm thinking and may have even said "The guy has got a death wish". I'm too far away for him to hear me.

The lights go green I make my way around Elephant and Castle onto Kennington Park road. I'm surrounded by cyclists including the Courier and we are all behind a car. The Courier who was on my left, but behind me, decides to ride around my right, cutting me up squeezing his way between me and the car and manages to clip my fork with the back of his bike. This move calls a "whoa" from anohter cyclist.

(At this point I have to ask, what is it with me and this road? It's exactly the same road where I had an off bought on by another cyclist taking me out - his crank came off and he collided into me)

Anyway, at the lights I'm complaining about his dick move and this guy is looking straight seemingly ignoring me. Words clearly take longer than average to register in his brain because it takes him a while to respond. When he does dribble drops from his mouth as he struggles to string together a single sentence in English (he is English or the South London variety).

He claimed I clipped his bike, an argument begins, the lights go green and I'm suddenly aware that he is behind me and I'm at the mercy of him taking my rear wheel out. I pull over and as I do he calls me a prick.

"What are you calling me a prick for?"

He stops gets off his bike. I unclip out of mine and become aware I'm skating on cleats, more argument

"What do you want to fight about it bruv?"

I stand my ground, I'm not backing down on this one.

"Arguing with me isn't good for your soul bruv!"

I attempted to ask this guy why he was getting so angry given that he cut me up and clipped my bike. He snarled something along the lines of

"Because I'm mad"

At that point I'm left with two choices, go feral and treat this guy to my deceptive 16st frame. Or ride away. As much as it irks me I rode away - for reasons I cannot mention for three weeks or so - to this guy howling "go on" and "move"....

On a seperate note, where does the law stand on street fights? I assume if I'm charged I would need to inform work. Taken to court probably equals a suspension from work, that much I know.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    You saved yourself a fair amount of time a hassle by moving on I think
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    The world is full of these pr1cks. Your anger will subside.. although it may take a while. You did the right thing.. you could be sitting in a cell on manslaughter charges! :shock:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Sounds like a brainless d*ck to me.

You did the right thing, despite having so swallow some pride. Getting into a fight is likely to be a no-win situation, despite the short-term gratification.

Just accept that in life you will come across idiots like this, be the bigger man, and accept the karma that is likely to come your way.

Oh, and try not to dwell on how good it would have felt to chin the tw*t...
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    To the "Power Awesome".....oh hang on, he's buggered off.....

Chapeau fella, the bigger man walks away. No matter how you feel afterwards, you did the right thing and he is a brainless moron.

My money would have been on you breaking his face anyway.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    edited March 2011
    Not even worth having an argument with that kind of knuckle dragger, let alone a fight. Just leave 'em for dust.

I've probably got a different view as there's only 10st of me but 'wanna fight about it bruv' just sounds ridiculous to me - like something you'd say when you were eight years old.

Don't know the details, but no I don't think your employer would think highly of being involved in a fight.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Monkeypump
    You could always take out the anger on that mouse in your flat :wink:
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Unless you're doing it to impress a hot lady and win via a roundhouse kick I don't think any good can come from a fight in the street.
  • Monkeypump
    pastryboy wrote:
    Unless you're doing it to impress a hot lady and win via a roundhouse kick I don't think any good can come from a fight in the street.

What about a Karate Kid 'Crane Kick' ?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    pastryboy wrote:

Agreed. This or nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNEoP7TuEu8
  • DonDaddyD
    I've probably got a different view as there's only 10st of me but 'wanna fight about it bruv' just sounds ridiculous to me - like something you'd say when you were eight years old.

To be honest this was my thought as well. Also I've seen my fair share of fights. If you're really going to attack someone you don't take the time to politely ask. No matter how 'urban' an accent you can muster...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Important Question. Was there any SCR? Who won?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Should have D-Locked the c##t :D
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    you should of just stared him in the eye and said flatly - "step off, motherfvcker"

cool, dangerous and quoting The Wire. he woulda shat it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:

To be honest this was my thought as well. Also I've seen my fair share of fights. If you're really going to attack someone you don't take the time to politely ask. No matter how 'urban' an accent you can muster...

An American comedian once had this excellent sketch which had a serious core to its message:

"If someone handed you a lump of dog-sh*t would you take it? No? So why do you accept sh*t off people every day? You don't have to, you choose to."

So in this circumstance you chose to not accept the lump of sh*t this bozo was handing to you.

Oh, and anyone who has to say "because I'm mad" isn't.
    Stupid; certainly.
    Mad: No.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    It was the whole

"Arguing with me isn't good for your soul you know bruv"

That made me realise how far removed I am from that sort of lifestyle. My kid/s will be going to private school. Where did LiTs go again?
    Food Chain number = 4

• kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    "Son, my life is over, but yours is just begun.

Promise me, son, not to do the things I've done.
    Walk away from trouble if you can.
    It won't mean you're weak if you turn the other cheek.
    I hope you're old enough to understand:

Son, you don't have to fight to be a man!"
  • You undoubtedly did the right thing. Leaving aside all the adverse consequences of being in a street fight in broad daylight - whether win or lose - as you spotted, cleats don't make the best platform for, well anything apart from pushing pedals, really.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It was the whole

"Arguing with me isn't good for your soul you know bruv"

That made me realise how far removed I am from that sort of lifestyle. My kid/s will be going to private school. Where did LiTs go again?

I dunno. The one fight I did get into - and I still can't work out what came over me to this day -was in secondary school (local comprehensive). I lost badly - I was even more weedy then than I am now - and lesson learnt: it is almost never worth it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    there, there, you did the right thing lovey.
  • DonDaddyD
    Dunno, I know he was a Courier as he had a radio in teh strap of his messager bag and was on a fixie.
    Food Chain number = 4

• mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    kieranb wrote:
    "Son, my life is over, but yours is just begun.

Promise me, son, not to do the things I've done.
    Walk away from trouble if you can.
    It won't mean you're weak if you turn the other cheek.
    I hope you're old enough to understand:

Son, you don't have to fight to be a man!"

On a side note, didn't Tommy eventually go apeshit & shoot everyone in that song? Probably best to avoid that sort of thing... :wink:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    DDD, restoring his masculinity by rising above. Good work mate.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • In a similar situation I would've stood my ground and let him take the first swing, he sounds like a bully and bullies only learn one way...
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Class One Weapon...that is all.
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    The only time I've almost got into a fight commuting I realised immediately that I was wearing tap shoes and an unweildy rucksack. I figured a fight was going to be a 50:50 and even if I decked the moron chances were I was still likely to take a couple of hits along the way.
    Immediately afterwards I felt like I should of done something about it, almost like I'd let myself down, but with longer hindsight I'm glad I didn't get into it.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Chap I know (East End through & through) was driving through Stockwell & someone cut him up, he shouted at them & the other bloke said "Get lost or I'll shoot you!". This chap jumped out of his car, ran round to the other one, dragged the bloke out and battered him on the basis that if he was going to get shot, he might try & get a clump in first on the other guy!

Moral - don't threaten what you can't or are unable of following though...
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    I'd have probably asked if he was twelve or educationally subnormal or something.
  • DonDaddyD
    Pufftmw wrote:
    White guy - frizzy hair? Speaking "da lingo"?

Yeah, he had on wrap arounds, bike cap, old multi-coloured single speed bike.
    Food Chain number = 4