Latex inner tubes

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
edited March 2011 in Workshop
Are these more or less likely to puncture than a standard tube? Are they as reliable once patched as a standard tube?

I ask because I punctured a latex tube in my last race and having patched it I'm trying to decide whether or not to use it again this weekend.

Thanks.
More problems but still living....

Comments

• EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure you're not meant to patch them. Once they're gone, they're gone. But i'm not 100% sure.

Apparently ultra-light Butyl tubes come very close to the ride feel of Latex tubes (according to that Finnish company who do all that wheel and tyre lab testing) and they're lighter and they're definitely patchable and they don't loose pressure as fast. Might be good for future reference.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure you're not meant to patch them. Once they're gone, they're gone. But i'm not 100% sure.

I patch, no problem, use an old chopped up latex tube. They puncture less easily than butyl tubes, particularly ultralight ones.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I patched with a regular patch - seems well stuck so guess I'll give it a go at the weekend.
    More problems but still living....
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Latex tubes give a nicer ride quality than butyl and are apparently less likely to puncture, but when they do you will know about it in a big way.

My impressions of the Michelin latex tubes is that they are quite a 'fat' tube for their claimed size(21-23mm) and it is easy to trap the tube under the tyre beading when fitting tyres compared to butyl and they are less forgiving if you do.

FWIW I have patched two latex tubes with normal patches that previously burst open leaving 1 inch tears and i have trained on these inner tubes without a problem for 3k miles.They seem to patch more securely than butyl.

And they do give a ferkin' nice ride quality, just in case you missed that the first time.