rapha team issue rain jacket

brabus
brabus Posts: 138
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
anyone know where i can pick up some "cheap.....er" rapha gear or is it only really available full price from their website? thanks

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Cycling weakly
  • brabus
    being a newbie i might not be up to speed on the issues with rapha he he :lol:

i just thought the jacket looked nice :roll:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    brabus wrote:
    being a newbie i might not be up to speed on the issues with rapha he he :lol:

i just thought the jacket looked nice :roll:

It is nice, wear what you like.
  • brabus
    thanks... i like it....just cant afford it!!! :cry:
  • cornerblock
    brabus wrote:
    thanks... i like it....just cant afford it!!! :cry:

It's expensive, wear what you can afford. :) You could get a bit cheaper on E-bay, but the Rapha gear tends go for quite a bit there too. Condor cycles have a sale of end of season stock of the Rapha stuff, but I think you may have just just missed it.
  • brabus
    ok thanks ...back to lidl then for me! :oops:
  • Ciclicasati
    Ciclicasati Posts: 740
    I picked one up in their sample sale for £50 - The ring pull was missing so i just added my own. It's a very nice piece of kit. Fits well, windproof but not hot, totally waterproof. I would say if you ride alot in the wet and wind it will make you very happy and will be worth the cost over time.
  • brabus
    thanks living in the west of scotland it rains all the time! :(

how did you find out about the sample sale? where is it?
  • Ciclicasati
    Ciclicasati Posts: 740
    Word of mouth, its near my work in London.
    I would say its worth it. The fabric is very, very good, lovely detailing to the zipper and cuffs. I was sceptical but impressed.
  • brabus
    i work in london most weeks so will need to keep my ears open! :lol:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Word of mouth, its near my work in London.
    I would say its worth it. The fabric is very, very good, lovely detailing to the zipper and cuffs. I was sceptical but impressed.

I particularly like the Pink linings
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    If you go to the Rapha website and sign up for their news letter you will be informed when the next sample sale is. As mentioned before they have just had one but I recall they have about two or three per year. I made one at the end of last summer. Got some great deals. It helps if you are an XXL as they pretty much have their whole range in this size!! Not so much in S,M,L. Last time they had cotton caps for £10, the green gentleman cap £10, picked up their old cross jersey (green one) for approx £30-40, the touring shorts for £40, and a few other things. The best deal I got was the merino (fixed) jersey, which is more like a thin jumper for £40. They very recently had the whole womens range for half price (through the website). This was only available for one day. Treated the wife to a bunch of stuff. Now I’m a bit jealous of her softshell etc! Do note though they have their sales in central London. The one I attended was in Clerkenwell at a tempory coffee shop they opened for the summer. The last two were in Spatsfields area.

Obviously look like a right tw*t in all my Rapha gear, but I like it :)
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    I particularly like the Pink linings

I had heard that about you! :wink:
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Th team issue jacket does look nice, but now I'm older I worry about wearing so much black kit.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    brabus wrote:
    anyone know where i can pick up some "cheap.....er" rapha gear or is it only really available full price from their website? thanks

Have you thought of stealing one? I know someone who nicks loads of stuff and he never seems to have had to spend much at all.

Not quite sure how theft works exactly but he has loads of good kit for not a lot of money.... :D

For the avoidence of doubt, the above was a joke...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It is nice kit - but a black rain jacket isnt really a good idea for busy roads. Fine for in the pro peleton - at least the team cars arent trying to run you down.
  • ShutUpLegs
    I've never seen a Rapha rider out in the rain.

F A C T

For the avoidence of doubt, the above was a joke...
  • brabus
    He he!

yeah but it will look good when i am sitting with my feet up in a coffee shop with the bike leaning against the window!! :lol:
  • brabus
    i am of course joking! :wink:
  • ShutUpLegs
    Do Rapha still refer a 'friend' and give a 10% discount? May be worth considering if you are spending alot of money
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    The sample sales are twice a year only, usually Jan/Feb and September, although the 'Autumn' one last year was in late July.

I've never seen any rain or wind jackets in medium (my size), usually only very big or small sizes. Plenty of other nice stuff though. I spent a fortune at the last one and I have two very nice short sleeve jerseys that I'm looking forward to wearing when it's warm enough (Saturday?) Their clothes are beautifully designed and made, and a bargain at sample sale prices. The jerseys were £30 each. Why wear anything else at that price?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Buy Mavic. Just as good and not overpriced.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    rjsmith wrote:
    Th team issue jacket does look nice, but now I'm older I worry about wearing so much black kit.

I didn,t realise there was an age limit , I'm 61 am I anywhere near yet ? Nobodies said anything to me, the swines
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Ben6899 wrote:

I've got a Rapha Rain Jacket and didn't think it was overpriced. Whether cheaper brands are as good is debatable, but ultimately it's a personal choice.
  • cornerblock
    Ben6899 wrote:

I've got a Rapha Rain Jacket and didn't think it was overpriced. Whether cheaper brands are as good is debatable, but ultimately it's a personal choice.

Only overpriced if it's more than you are willing to pay. For me it's a great jacket that I will get a lot of use out of and be worth the outlay. Mavic make good gear too.
  • Ben6899
    I totally agree. I could kit myself out in Rapha head to toe, but when Mavic is just as good (IMHO) I may as well save a few quid.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • cornerblock
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I totally agree. I could kit myself out in Rapha head to toe, but when Mavic is just as good (IMHO) I may as well save a few quid.

Fair do's. Still think the Rapha rain jacket is better than any Mavic equivalent. (IMHO). Anyway as long as you don't catch your death as my Mum would say.
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    Ben6899 wrote:

I like the look of their stuff but found it a wierd cut. The arms seemed really long in spite of it fitting everywhere else.... I don't have stumpy arms!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:

I like the look of their stuff but found it a wierd cut. The arms seemed really long in spite of it fitting everywhere else.... I don't have stumpy arms!

Cut fits me like a glove! And keeps me warm so mum is happy. :D
    Ben

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mavics not that cheap is it ?