In the drops

AndyF16
AndyF16 Posts: 506
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
It's probably written in every cycling manual, blog and even posts here, but just to say to anyone who hasn't really tried getting down on the drops yet; DO IT!

Taken me 6+ months to feel confident enough, but boy is it worth it. Word. :D
2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    eh?

Confident enough to hold a bit lower?! Don't see the issue?! It is just a more aero position and a bit more uncomfortable as a trade off...

Word? What do you mean by these word(s)?
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    Scrumple wrote:
    Word? What do you mean by these word(s)?

iz gangsta talk, innit....
  • Scrumple
    Tru dat
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    iz wen he iz ridin iz beatch bike innit?
    Cycling weakly
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    6 months? They must be really deep narrow drops. Sentence. :D
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    lemoncurd wrote:
    6 months? They must be really deep narrow drops. Sentence. :D

totally awesome. double adjective.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    PostPosted Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:09 pmReply with quote
    More to do with the pad actually I guess...

OK, as some will know or others don't, I've got a fairly large ride coming up in a few months, no drama there, it's going to take some hard work and lot's of effort but I'm quietly confident. I'm taking things one step at a time and trying to eliminate potential issues on the horizon as and when I can.

Currently I need to focus on placating my ars* and inner thighs, as the increase in required mileage is going to hurt regardless because it's a lot of miles day after day to get to the target distance to complete the challenge, this is to be honest the one area I am worried things can go pear shaped fast and without me being able to do much about it.

I've lost 2 and a half stone since I started riding last year and it's now without doubt starting to show and is being reflected in the fit of some shorts, especially the pad area. This is good news though, well sort of, it's great for my self confidence and all that but it means I need to start replacing clothing instead of investing in bike upgrades again for a while.

So, I've been upping my miles and going through the bib shorts I have to see which ones are comfortable beyond my usual 50 mile regular ride zone and as expected the cheap Chinese fake bib shorts are launched out the back of the pack and are no good, they've earned their place in my affection for allowing me to get to where I am and are still going strong but they are not comfortable for long distances or prolonged hours on the bike. Credit where it is due, they have done a serious amount of miles and lasted but the end is nigh as I push beyond the distance they are capable of.

The shocker was the Team Wiggle shorts which I used to find so comfortable are now also out the back with the Chinese shorts as the pad is too thick for longer rides, it just wont sit right and I can't get comfortable with it and if I go down on the aero bars it's seriously unpleasant, so they are a non starter.

I did the 125 miler last week wearing the Nalini FDJ kit (Genuine) and the pad was pretty good, not 100% comfort but not killing me either, it's probably the firmest pad I own and use and seems to be of a uniform thickness. It is however from a fairly old set of bibs, the 2005 season so I'm wondering if they have changed pads and if the new ones are better or worse?

Lastly the regular DHB Earnley bib shorts, these are so so upto 75 miles, rode in them yesterday to see how they did and not as comfortable as the Nalini but more comfortable than the Team Wiggle version, odd but there you go.

Based on what I have, have ridden in and felt like I'm guessing a firmer pad works better for me, and as I am having to replace my Bib short fleet anyway I am going to go about it this time properly and get quality over quantity. Last year I needed it the other way around as the smaller distances often required more but long rides were not such an issue.

So, as I'm sure you have worked out by now I am after your views on long distance pads or makes that would be suited too riding century rides, back to back in and lots of them through summer and will not only last but also be comfortable from century one to the last of the year.

I am prepared to spend a decent amount but don't get silly and think that involves the heady insane heights of hundreds of pounds for one set, there is a budget restraint but I'd rather start the process of homework now while I am putting cash aside ready for when I can make a more informed decision.

Thanks in advance. Paragraphs.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    When I was a kid we use to flip our drops upside down, its really comfortable.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    I feel more secure if anything on the drops, especially when descending because I've got more confidence in getting really good purchase on the brakes if anybody pulls out or decides to open their car door on me.

Couldn't ride with a single hand position anyway because my wrists get tired.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    PostPosted Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:09 pmReply with quote
    More to do with the pad actually I guess...

OK, as some will know or others don't, I've got a fairly large ride coming up in a few months, no drama there, it's going to take some hard work and lot's of effort but I'm quietly confident. I'm taking things one step at a time and trying to eliminate potential issues on the horizon as and when I can.

Currently I need to focus on placating my ars* and inner thighs, as the increase in required mileage is going to hurt regardless because it's a lot of miles day after day to get to the target distance to complete the challenge, this is to be honest the one area I am worried things can go pear shaped fast and without me being able to do much about it.

I've lost 2 and a half stone since I started riding last year and it's now without doubt starting to show and is being reflected in the fit of some shorts, especially the pad area. This is good news though, well sort of, it's great for my self confidence and all that but it means I need to start replacing clothing instead of investing in bike upgrades again for a while.

So, I've been upping my miles and going through the bib shorts I have to see which ones are comfortable beyond my usual 50 mile regular ride zone and as expected the cheap Chinese fake bib shorts are launched out the back of the pack and are no good, they've earned their place in my affection for allowing me to get to where I am and are still going strong but they are not comfortable for long distances or prolonged hours on the bike. Credit where it is due, they have done a serious amount of miles and lasted but the end is nigh as I push beyond the distance they are capable of.

The shocker was the Team Wiggle shorts which I used to find so comfortable are now also out the back with the Chinese shorts as the pad is too thick for longer rides, it just wont sit right and I can't get comfortable with it and if I go down on the aero bars it's seriously unpleasant, so they are a non starter.

I did the 125 miler last week wearing the Nalini FDJ kit (Genuine) and the pad was pretty good, not 100% comfort but not killing me either, it's probably the firmest pad I own and use and seems to be of a uniform thickness. It is however from a fairly old set of bibs, the 2005 season so I'm wondering if they have changed pads and if the new ones are better or worse?

Lastly the regular DHB Earnley bib shorts, these are so so upto 75 miles, rode in them yesterday to see how they did and not as comfortable as the Nalini but more comfortable than the Team Wiggle version, odd but there you go.

Based on what I have, have ridden in and felt like I'm guessing a firmer pad works better for me, and as I am having to replace my Bib short fleet anyway I am going to go about it this time properly and get quality over quantity. Last year I needed it the other way around as the smaller distances often required more but long rides were not such an issue.

So, as I'm sure you have worked out by now I am after your views on long distance pads or makes that would be suited too riding century rides, back to back in and lots of them through summer and will not only last but also be comfortable from century one to the last of the year.

I am prepared to spend a decent amount but don't get silly and think that involves the heady insane heights of hundreds of pounds for one set, there is a budget restraint but I'd rather start the process of homework now while I am putting cash aside ready for when I can make a more informed decision.

Thanks in advance. Paragraphs.
    Err... does this have anything to do with drops?

How long is your big ride? I assume if you are doing 125 mile training rides for it you are talking some epic multi-day marathon? To some extent you do get what you pay for in bib shorts and many people will tell you that assos are the best. They are expensive but if you shop around on ebay you can get the unos or milles for about £100. The milles are supposed to be particularly good for long-distance, but not everyone gets on with them. You can also often find 2nd hand assos on ebay at good prices that have only been worn once or twice because someone bought the wrong size. Note that the pad was re-designed 2 or 3 years ago, the S5s are the newer ones (turquoise colour rather than orange).
    my Bib short fleet
    That conjures up a wonderful image of a flotilla of bib shorts sailing along on their pads, their back panels hoisted to the wind with shoulder straps for rigging and their legs dangling down under water like jellyfish tentacles...

Or maybe the marmite I had for breakfast has gone off in some weird psychotropic way... :wink:
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    When I was a kid we use to flip our drops upside down, its really comfortable.

Amazing for doing wheelies too :D
  • Avezius
    Avezius Posts: 132
    AndyF16 wrote:
    It's probably written in every cycling manual, blog and even posts here, but just to say to anyone who hasn't really tried getting down on the drops yet; DO IT!

Taken me 6+ months to feel confident enough, but boy is it worth it. Word. :D

I know what you mean! :wink:

I initially struggled with my drops on two counts - bars are quite narrow (it's a cyclocross bike) so twitchy cornering at speed to the uninitiated even on the hoods. Secondly, I'm really unbendy - staying on the drops all the time was hard for quite a while - gut probably didnt help either!

I still spend a lot of my time on the hoods but no longer scared of drops - they are a requirement for fen riding with the wind - like today... SW24 wind predicted for lunchtime!!

My new bike will also be more sportive rather than full race geometry so I'm hoping it will be slightly more comfortable! Oh, and wider bars too.

Dan
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Ah yes, the old 'hands in the drops, knees hit belly' syndrome - familiar with that problem :oops:

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Avezius
    Avezius Posts: 132
    After talking about it today, I noticed a distinct lack of knee-belly slappage on my lunchtime run! Very smug with myself now after 300miles this month (no weekend rides either!)! :D

Horrible wind tho - 12 miles (8.6mile time trial across the fens with a couple of miles there & back through traffic) was taking under 35mins earlier this week (24:07 = 21.2mph ave for the TT bit). Today in 30+mph SW wind it took over 40mins door to door (28:37 = 18.2mph TT).

Without drops I think I would have gone backwards! :lol:
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Do you live on a snooker table?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Drops are so last year. Aero bars is where it;s really at this year. Letter.
  • IAB. Full stop.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Aero bars is so diz year, next yr iz where itz at.
    Try deez. punctuation.
    318mm-os-cruiser-handlebars1_84daf9c505e1ef64f23d8fe3f1c97209.jpg
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    wot way is front on deez bad boys - they upside init?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    sfichele wrote:
    wot way is front on deez bad boys - they upside init?

Pointing forward; moooooooooooo!!!!! Semi colon.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    After 3 and a half years I too have just started using the drops a lot more not just for going downhill. Nothing to do with confidence I just couldn't be arsed before. I am now breaking all sorts of records.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    antfly wrote:
    After 3 and a half years I too have just started using the drops a lot more not just for going downhill. Nothing to do with confidence I just couldn't be arsed before. I am now breaking all sorts of records.

What kind of records? British, World or just your own? :lol: Umlaut.
  • Scrumple
    motorbikes
    ROCK

MY worlddddddddddd

Hate the things.

PEACENLOVE

• Thanks in advance. Paragraphs.
    lol.gif
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    This thread had potential, but it's got a bit (b)anal. Colon.

1967 Engine