Afan (again!) Best place to start the W2?

Gwaredd
Gwaredd Posts: 251
edited March 2011 in Routes
Hi all. Me & a few mates are going up to Afan for the day in April. Have done all the routes apart from the Skyline & the W2, so really want to attack the w2 trail this time round.

I know you can start from either trail centre & am assuming that if I start at Afan, I'll do the Walls long fire road climb, along the folly link & do the Whites downhill section into Glyn Corrwg.

Stop for lunch, then do the Whites climb, back across the Folly link & then down the Walls downhill section & back into Afan.

And vice versa if I start at Glyn Corrwg.

Is that correct?

Cheers all.

G.

Comments

• mini-eggs
    mini-eggs Posts: 811
    Yes that's right,

I normally do what you're planning, start at afan, up the wall, down whites, lunch up whites then down the wall.

I find the climb of the wall a little dull with the long fireroads so I get that out of the way early and enjoy the rest of the ride.

It took my about 5hours to do and that's including a decent lunch break.
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    Cheers dude. Always good to have it in your head before you go!

Agree that the fireroad climb is dull as, but should warm us up nicely for the descent at Whites!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yup i do that way because i don't really like Wytes decents they have no flow. so that way you get the wicked fast decents of the wall which are great :p
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Starting at Glyncorrwg you miss out the really dull flat fireroad on the other side of the road (or river, whatever runs down the middle!), ie it's a slightly shorter ride.

The Wall climb is rubbish though.
  • Thewaylander
    Hmm that section your on about njee is closed, has been a while you take the short cut across the river now, which most locals used to use anyways :)
  • njee20
    Yep not been up there for a year or so. How sensible they've done that, was a waste of time!
  • Thewaylander
    Somedays i liked it, just to warm the legs up when i was feeling a bit tired lol.
  • njee20
    That's what the fireroad climb is for!
  • Thewaylander
    For you on half pint weight bike :p i got a fat mans bike and any climb requires a bit of work :)
  • Danny-T
    Danny-T Posts: 129
    might wanna pack a lunch tho, I believe the cafe at Glyncorrwg is still closed :(

anyone know anything different or if/when they expect to open?
  • Thewaylander
    trying to get it open in April but there are no firm plans at the moment according tot he lads in the Bike shop.